Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Knead Bread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rasty wrote:

I don't buy much meat at home, so when someone tells me prices I'm always confused because we pay more, but we are usually buying hormone free, free trade, grass feed, biodynamically induced labor born, micro-locally sourced, gluten-free grazed Berkshire-Hathaway wild caught beef
      You do realize that Federal Law prohibits the sale of chicken that has:
      ever been given hormones or steroids
      has any trace of any antibiotics in it's body at time of death

Also, all chickens are "free-range". None are raised in "cages".

I wondered how long it would take somebody like Sanderson Farms to call out Tyson and Perdue for their years of BS scare marketing tactics to gouge the consumer at the store...
    • Rasty wrote:

I don't buy much meat at home, so when someone tells me prices I'm always confused because we pay more, but we are usually buying hormone free, free trade, grass feed, biodynamically induced labor born, micro-locally sourced, gluten-free grazed Berkshire-Hathaway wild caught beef
      Berkshire-Hathaway wild caught beef? Is that for the burgers in the AYCE Warren-buffet?

I hope you make sure the pasta salad is free range.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Berkshire-Hathaway wild caught beef? Is that for the burgers in the AYCE Warren-buffet?
      I hope you make sure the pasta salad is free range.
      The Birkshire-Hathaway breed of cattle is a cross of a Black Pig and a Sacred Cow.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Berkshire-Hathaway wild caught beef? Is that for the burgers in the AYCE Warren-buffet?I hope you make sure the pasta salad is free range.
      The Birkshire-Hathaway breed of cattle is a cross of a Black Pig and a Sacred Cow.
      Cof124

for those extremist that really do like the taste of sausage...closet sausage linkers!
    • Posting this recipe again because I love it so much. The bread is thick and hearty. I don't follow the timeline...mine usually gets fermented for longer...just because that's how it works out.

I started it last night, mixed up day 2 ingredients tonight, and will let it ferment in the fridge until Thursday morning.

breadtopia.com/whole-grain-sourdough/
      Lost in the right direction.
    • pioneerbrand.com/5-lb-pioneer-flour/

Depending on how far south you're heading, I've had success with these products. Plus they have a great place for breakfast right on the San Antonio RiverWalk.

However in all honesty, if you go to the trouble of baking, most folks one shares with will have no complaints.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • uncle meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Can't wait to get my order from King Arthur flour (and a day off from work. :S ). Gonna work on my pumpernickel skills and this recipe from the website.

kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sp…ebanese-flatbreads-recipe
      I've yet to tackle a marbled rye, but it's on me list.
      I've made pumpernickel and rye several times but wasnt happy with the results.
    • I'm working on the Spinach-Filled Lebanese Flatbread. Things haven't gone according to plan.

I followed the recipe. When the dough balls were ready for the fridge, I stacked them in a bowl covered with a cloth, thinking they would pull apart easily for the next step.

Wrong.

The ones on top got very dry and the ones on bottom became one glob of dough. So, I re-kneaded the pieces, brushed them with olive oil, covered them with plastic wrap, and put them back in the fridge overnight.

Much better.

They sat out for a few hours this morning while I made the filling and they got nice and puffy. I tweaked the filling and added some leftover garlic quinoa/brown rice.

Rolling and assembly was a breeze.

Instead of cooking them right away, I brushed them with olive oil, sprinkled on poppy seeds, covered them with plastic warp, and put them back in the fridge until time to cook for dinner.

I haven't had luck with topping my bread with seeds, they always fall off after baking. If anyone has ideas on how to get seeds to stick, please let me know.
      Images
      • IMG_0493.JPG

157.5 kB, 800×600, viewed 333 times
      • IMG_6464.JPG

203.55 kB, 800×600, viewed 365 times
      • IMG_6463.JPG

227.77 kB, 800×600, viewed 355 times
      • IMG_6465.JPG

226.97 kB, 800×600, viewed 344 times
    • I've had the same problem with seeds, I just used water lightly brushed, wait a few minutes, then apply, they seem to stick better when the dough is a little sticky. I also started bench resting my dough for about a half hour outta the fridge, seems to help it to rise a little better.
    • When I worked as a youth in a bagel factory(you just can't make this up!) it was a fairly simple operation for toppings before baking. Poppy, sesame, onion, garlic, salt, etc...

The bagels would proof in a giant walk-in cooler. When they had grown to a sufficient puffiness, you'd pull the cart out and take it to a giant boiling kettle. Dump the proofed bagels a tray at a time into the boiling water(this ends the fermentation process) until they float, then take them out with a wire skimmer and put under RUNNING cold water water, briefly. Only long enough to cool the bagels so you could pick them up. Then I would simply plop each bagel into the plastic bin of appropriate topping, remove and place on a wet burlap covered oak plank and put the planks into a giant revolving oven. 1/2 way through the baking, open the oven door and with mitts of dubious origin, quickly flip the bagels off the planks over onto the bare shelf, remove the incredibly hot planks from the oven and finish baking. I'd pull the bagels out with a gigantic stainless steel pizza shovel. Some bakers used pizza cheese shakers to top the bagels before putting in the oven, but my way seemed to produce more toppings on the bagel that stayed on through the baking process. YMMV.

The moral is, simply reduce the scale of the operation to your kitchen and baking is super simple. Except for croissants. F croissants. Flaky crust is wonderful, but the labor is absolutely absurd. Unless it's pain au chocolat. Then it's all good. :D
    • ScareBear wrote:

When I worked as a youth in a bagel factory(you just can't make this up!) it was a fairly simple operation for toppings before baking. Poppy, sesame, onion, garlic, salt, etc...

The bagels would proof in a giant walk-in cooler. When they had grown to a sufficient puffiness, you'd pull the cart out and take it to a giant boiling kettle. Dump the proofed bagels a tray at a time into the boiling water(this ends the fermentation process) until they float, then take them out with a wire skimmer and put under RUNNING cold water water, briefly. Only long enough to cool the bagels so you could pick them up. Then I would simply plop each bagel into the plastic bin of appropriate topping, remove and place on a wet burlap covered oak plank and put the planks into a giant revolving oven. 1/2 way through the baking, open the oven door and with mitts of dubious origin, quickly flip the bagels off the planks over onto the bare shelf, remove the incredibly hot planks from the oven and finish baking. I'd pull the bagels out with a gigantic stainless steel pizza shovel. Some bakers used pizza cheese shakers to top the bagels before putting in the oven, but my way seemed to produce more toppings on the bagel that stayed on through the baking process. YMMV.

The moral is, simply reduce the scale of the operation to your kitchen and baking is super simple. Except for croissants. F croissants. Flaky crust is wonderful, but the labor is absolutely absurd. Unless it's pain au chocolat. Then it's all good. :D
      well I just learnt something, "after soda bath run under cold water" excelent!
      1. I've made pretzels and they always taste like baking soda, duh, rinse em off before baking...sometimes the obvious is not so obvious, thanks scarebear.
    • ScareBear wrote:

When I worked as a youth in a bagel factory(you just can't make this up!) it was a fairly simple operation for toppings before baking. Poppy, sesame, onion, garlic, salt, etc...

Thanks, bagels are on my list of things to make.

Ahhh, chocolate croissants. Difficult but oh so worth it. Ate my last one last week so it's time for more.
    • Working on pumpernickel today. I love pumpernickel.

Pumpernickel is traditionally made from whole rye flour which includes the entire rye berry...bran, germ, and endosperm. There are different variations of rye flour ranging from light to pumpernickel and the lighter the color, the higher and faster it will rise.

Day 1

1 1/3 cup sourdough starter
      1 cup warmish black coffee
      2 cups pumpernickel flour
      1/2 cup chopped onion

(I want some rise to mine so used 1 cup dark rye and 1 cup bread flour)

This is usually started the night before and left to ferment all night but I will refrigerate mine overnight as it will ferment all day today.
      Images
      • IMG_6501.JPG

214.02 kB, 800×600, viewed 336 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Recently on a southern run I brought back a bag of my (hard to find up here) favorite flour for making biscuits...my home made biscuit cutter, sharp edge keeps edges from crimping the dough and allows for a better rise, as always kneeding 4-5 times is key without over working with hot hands.
      This flour is a soft winters (southern flour) and 2% protein, so less gluten building as apposed to bread flours, there are other brands as well, but I like the White Lilly just because it was recommended by a old family friend.
      Images
      • IMG_0585.JPG

70.44 kB, 450×600, viewed 308 times
    • it's been a productive morning. Made pizza dough, started pumpernickle, have sandwich bread going in the machine, and made starter for cinnamon rolls/sticky buns.

The cinnamon-roll starter calls for pastry flour but not paying attention, I used bread flour instead. So I mixed another batch. Here's a side by side comparison. Everything is the same except the flour. The stiffer dough is the one with bread flour. I couldn't bear to throw it away but not sure what to do with it.
      Images
      • FullSizeRender.jpg

164.67 kB, 800×600, viewed 295 times
    • TrafficJam wrote:

it's been a productive morning. Made pizza dough, started pumpernickle, have sandwich bread going in the machine, and made starter for cinnamon rolls/sticky buns.

The cinnamon-roll starter calls for pastry flour but not paying attention, I used bread flour instead. So I mixed another batch. Here's a side by side comparison. Everything is the same except the flour. The stiffer dough is the one with bread flour. I couldn't bear to throw it away but not sure what to do with it.
      I have never used pastry flour for my cinnamon rolls, always bread flour, cook em up see what happens, they are heavy.
    • uncle meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

it's been a productive morning. Made pizza dough, started pumpernickle, have sandwich bread going in the machine, and made starter for cinnamon rolls/sticky buns.

I have never used pastry flour for my cinnamon rolls, always bread flour, cook em up see what happens, they are heavy.
      I've made them with bread flour also but have been wanting a lighter, yeasty, sweet roll. The dough with bread flour may get stored in the freezer for a few weeks.

My house smells like bread, yum!
    • Does anyone use a bread machine? I know sheepdog's wife does. It's a great alternative for people who don't have the time or desire for the extra work.

I've found it takes a little bit of vigilance. Maybe it's me but I can't throw stuff in and leave it. Today, one of the paddles wasn't working and a lot of the dough didn't get mixed. My habit to check the dough throughout the process saved the bread.

I also tweak it as it goes, adding more water or flour. At the beginning of the 2nd (and last) rise,I remove the dough, remove the paddles, gently shape the dough without deflating it, and put it back in the machine. It makes a more aesthetically pleasing loaf.

After the bread is baked, it gets removed from the pan immediately then put back in the machine with the top propped open. This slowly cools the bread and prevents the top from wrinkling.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

My three sponges got big and bubbly in the fridge overnight.

The pastry and pumpernickel sponges were taken out this morning to warm up and bread making will commence shortly.
      I forgot all about this yesterday when you mentioned what to do with the cinnamon/bread dough...I make cinnamon bread as well, great for a hearty toast in the morning.
    • uncle meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

The pastry and pumpernickel sponges were taken out this morning to warm up and bread making will commence shortly.
      I forgot all about this yesterday when you mentioned what to do with the cinnamon/bread dough...I make cinnamon bread as well, great for a hearty toast in the morning.
      CT is great anytime.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • uncle meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

The cinnamon-roll dough turned out really good. I used a dough improver and man, it was silky smooth. The feel of it is so wonderful, I can't describe it. I can't wait to try it tomorrow.

It sounds crazy, but I haven't sampled a single piece of bread the past two days.

The pumpernickle is in the oven...fingers crossed it turns out good.