Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Knead Bread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• meat wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I bought some biscuit dough in a tube. It was stretchy, almost like bubble gum. Maybe the secret is gluten or dough conditioners.
      never heard of dough conditioner, though I guess all things done to a dough condition it so to speak. But it my understanding glutin is just the opposite of what your after in a biscuit dough, opting for light and flakey as opposed to gluteny and chewy.

Dough conditioner is used in the making of donuts. Some places use lard as a dough conditioner.

I have no idea if they maranate the dough in it, brush it on the dough, or dance the boogaloo while thinking of lard.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • meat wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I bought some biscuit dough in a tube. It was stretchy, almost like bubble gum. Maybe the secret is gluten or dough conditioners.
      never heard of dough conditioner, though I guess all things done to a dough condition it so to speak. But it my understanding glutin is just the opposite of what your after in a biscuit dough, opting for light and flakey as opposed to gluteny and chewy.
      Right you are, according to Wikipedia. Lower gluten wheat grown in the south is better for biscuits.
    • meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

This thread brings back great memories for me.
      You see, until '99, when our youngest son graduated high school, Kathy was a stay at home mom and made all of our bread herself.
      She enjoyed and prided herself on having various kinds of fresh bread around the house.
      One time I got "the look" ,that every husband knows, when I asked her if she'd like a bread machine.
      She took that question as an insult but really I thought I was just suggesting something to make life easier for her.
      There's nothing like sitting down at the table with a fresh, warm loaf of bread right out of the oven with some soft butter and a cup of coffee. :)
      You folks keep this thread going, I can almost smell the aroma of fresh bread!
      I love it too. Last week I made 2 loaves, buttermilk and harvest grains, a loaf of chocolate chip banana bread, and my failed biscuits. The buttermilk loaf went in the freezer as well as 2/3 of the banana bread.My daughter gave me the King Arthur Flour baking book for Christmas. It has so many good things, I like to sit and read the recipes.
      I love love love banana bread, but my wife is the banana bread maker round here, I've yet to make one.
      I was thinking about your biscuits (hockey pucks) and Im afraid I don't have any answers, but I did watch an episode of Alton brown last night where he made biscuits. When I went to look up his recipe, he mentions some things in the text that failed to make the cut on the program. Small subtle techniques that would almost go unnoticed, namely like how his grandmother had arthritis and handled her biscuit dough very gingerly as a result, there by not imparting to much heat with her fingers (although I did see you mentioned your cognizant when it comes to cutting in your butter) maybe you'll find something in his words that will magically impart epiphany...otherwise, keep at it! I've noticed I change one small thing in bread making and it has game changing results.

Post script: I too like reading recipes when I hit the book store, I've even taken photos of pages occasionally when I find a $50 book that has but a few recipes I'm interested in...shush, don't tell. :)

altonbrown.com/southern-biscuits-recipe/
      between tv and podcasts he's talked about biscuits several times.

did you watch the episode where he and his grandma are making each making biscuits? that's a good un.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

You see, until '99, when our youngest son graduated high school, Kathy was a stay at home mom and made all of our bread herself.
      She enjoyed and prided herself on having various kinds of fresh bread around the house.
      One time I got "the look" ,that every husband knows, when I asked her if she'd like a bread machine.
      She took that question as an insult but really I thought I was just suggesting something to make life easier for her.
      There's nothing like sitting down at the table with a fresh, warm loaf of bread right out of the oven with some soft butter and a cup of coffee. :)
      I love it too. Last week I made 2 loaves, buttermilk and harvest grains, a loaf of chocolate chip banana bread, and my failed biscuits. The buttermilk loaf went in the freezer as well as 2/3 of the banana bread.My daughter gave me the King Arthur Flour baking book for Christmas. It has so many good things, I like to sit and read the recipes.
      I love love love banana bread, but my wife is the banana bread maker round here, I've yet to make one.I was thinking about your biscuits (hockey pucks) and Im afraid I don't have any answers, but I did watch an episode of Alton brown last night where he made biscuits. When I went to look up his recipe, he mentions some things in the text that failed to make the cut on the program. Small subtle techniques that would almost go unnoticed, namely like how his grandmother had arthritis and handled her biscuit dough very gingerly as a result, there by not imparting to much heat with her fingers (although I did see you mentioned your cognizant when it comes to cutting in your butter) maybe you'll find something in his words that will magically impart epiphany...otherwise, keep at it! I've noticed I change one small thing in bread making and it has game changing results.

Post script: I too like reading recipes when I hit the book store, I've even taken photos of pages occasionally when I find a $50 book that has but a few recipes I'm interested in...shush, don't tell. :)

altonbrown.com/southern-biscuits-recipe/
      between tv and podcasts he's talked about biscuits several times.
      did you watch the episode where he and his grandma are making each making biscuits? that's a good un.
      Yup, saw that one. Last nights show was just on dough, biscuits was just one recipe he made.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I love it too. Last week I made 2 loaves, buttermilk and harvest grains, a loaf of chocolate chip banana bread, and my failed biscuits. The buttermilk loaf went in the freezer as well as 2/3 of the banana bread.
      My daughter gave me the King Arthur Flour baking book for Christmas. It has so many good things, I like to sit and read the recipes.
      The King Arthur store and baking school are in Vermont.
      After doing section hikes of the AT in Vermont we went to the King Arthur store a couple of times.
      If I remember right they also have a baking school on the property too.
    • i ran into alton a few times in marietta when he just starting out. now with his divorce and spending a lot of time in california doing tv (good eats was filmed in atlanta) i think the only way i will see alton in person is if i buy a ticket to one of his shows.
      2,000 miler
    • Made a rum enhanced cheesecake the other day at a neighbor's place. Asked her to take it out when the timer sounded and set it outside to cool.

Intended to snap a pic (for evidence purposes) but was delayed in arrival. Once on site, found the cheesecake was consumed.

However all said it was tasty and I should make another next weekend.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tried to make biscuits again this morning. Used White Lily flower, Bakewell Cream (and baking powder), my new biscuit cutter...chilled the butter, didn't knead...

They were hockey pucks again. And I burned the sausage.
      How old is your baking powder?
      It's brand new. I used Bakewell Cream (cream of tartar) and Bakewell baking powder.

Ok, this is what happened. The recipe on the Bakewell Cream can called for 4 cups of flour which was way too much so I used the recipe on the bag of White Lily flour.

White Lily... 1tsp baking soda
      Bakewell Cream... 2 tsp soda, 4 tsp Bakewell Cream

So, I just sort of threw in the amount that looked right. And as I'm typing this, realize I used baking powder, not soda. Does that make a difference?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tried to make biscuits again this morning. Used White Lily flower, Bakewell Cream (and baking powder), my new biscuit cutter...chilled the butter, didn't knead...

It's brand new. I used Bakewell Cream (cream of tartar) and Bakewell baking powder.
      Ok, this is what happened. The recipe on the Bakewell Cream can called for 4 cups of flour which was way too much so I used the recipe on the bag of White Lily flour.

So, I just sort of threw in the amount that looked right. And as I'm typing this, realize I used baking powder, not soda. Does that make a difference?
      Yes
      Baking soda + Acid = Baking powder
      The added acid from the cream of tartar probably reacted with the baking powder and ruined the rising properties.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

It's brand new. I used Bakewell Cream (cream of tartar) and Bakewell baking powder.Ok, this is what happened. The recipe on the Bakewell Cream can called for 4 cups of flour which was way too much so I used the recipe on the bag of White Lily flour.

YesBaking soda + Acid = Baking powder
      The added acid from the cream of tartar probably reacted with the baking powder and ruined the rising properties.
      cool, learned somethin' new every day.
    • meat wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

It's brand new. I used Bakewell Cream (cream of tartar) and Bakewell baking powder.Ok, this is what happened. The recipe on the Bakewell Cream can called for 4 cups of flour which was way too much so I used the recipe on the bag of White Lily flour.

YesBaking soda + Acid = Baking powderThe added acid from the cream of tartar probably reacted with the baking powder and ruined the rising properties.
      cool, learned somethin' new every day.
      As a good friend whom is a home ed teacher is fond of saying,"Good baking results from good chemistry in the kitchen."

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Today's biscuit attempt was semi-successful...a little better than hockey pucks and tasty. i think I messed too much with the dough when patting it down.

The first set of biscuits rose better than the ones that got patted down again from the dough that's left after cutting out the biscuits.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Today's biscuit attempt was semi-successful...a little better than hockey pucks and tasty. i think I messed too much with the dough when patting it down.

The first set of biscuits rose better than the ones that got patted down again from the dough that's left after cutting out the biscuits.
      Next time take the dough remnant and roll it out, spread butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar, roll into a tube, and slice. When baked, you'll have a tasty treat.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Today's biscuit attempt was semi-successful...a little better than hockey pucks and tasty. i think I messed too much with the dough when patting it down.

My sister who loves to cook suggests to just mix it enough that the ingredients get wet and roller it less.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

The other day I made croutons out of my stale, three-day fermented bread then used them in homemade French onion soup topped with gruyere. It was delicious.
      I feed mine to my rabbits. Dried out it keeps a long time and the bunnies love it. Can't give them too much or they get fat.
      Images
      • image.jpeg

247.78 kB, 800×600, viewed 198 times
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • Pizza dough is easy to make. So is pasta.

That said, I hate baking. Hate. The one station in the kitchen I never enjoyed working. Ugggh...

It must be that time of year. Asparagus just went from 4 bucks a pound to 2 bucks a pound...time to break out the butter, lemon, and garlic....just sayin...
    • JimBlue wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

My sister who loves to cook suggests to just mix it enough that the ingredients get wet and roller it less.
      Maybe I'm not using enough liquid. I barely stir but it's not cohesive, dump it out on the cabinet and sort of pat it together, then cut them out. I don't use a roller.
    • I'm going to try to make ciabatta this week but don't have a stand mixer. I read that the dough is very wet and kneading by hand isn't recommended. I got a bread machine for Christmas and have used the mix and rise setting for pizza dough, do y'all think this will work for ciabatta?

Edit...found some recipes using the dough setting on a bread machine but the three I've looked at don't use a biga (starter)...I sort of want to make it with starter.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

I'm going to try to make ciabatta this week but don't have a stand mixer. I read that the dough is very wet and kneading by hand isn't recommended. I got a bread machine for Christmas and have used the mix and rise setting for pizza dough, do y'all think this will work for ciabatta?
      I made one by hand and wet the dough after needing, it was just okay and not true ciabatta...give it a shot.

My sister gave me her old stand mixer, love that thing!