Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

My Tents - a Review (and a bit about pegs)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Drybones wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Okay I'm still trying work this out. I can't get the text in between the pics.
      That blue aluminum Easton stake is by far my choice of stakes, strong, easy on the hands to push in the ground and easy to get out...I replaced the standard 6" with 8" for more holding power in soft ground.
      peg hack
      Knitting kneedles are a fraction of the price you pay for pegs, at least in the States. Comes in all shapes, all sizes and colors. Nice right up Oz!
    • mental note wrote:

Drybones wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

That blue aluminum Easton stake is by far my choice of stakes, strong, easy on the hands to push in the ground and easy to get out...I replaced the standard 6" with 8" for more holding power in soft ground.
      peg hackKnitting kneedles are a fraction of the price you pay for pegs, at least in the States. Comes in all shapes, all sizes and colors. Nice right up Oz!
      I use 7" aluminum gutter spikes from the hardware store. The textured surface helps them grip. Head can't come off. Cheap, light.
    • odd man out wrote:

mental note wrote:

Drybones wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

peg hackKnitting kneedles are a fraction of the price you pay for pegs, at least in the States. Comes in all shapes, all sizes and colors. Nice right up Oz!
      I use 7" aluminum gutter spikes from the hardware store. The textured surface helps them grip. Head can't come off. Cheap, light.
      They do work good. I have a set I use with my two person tent that I made. I drilled holes in the end just under the head and put in a little loop of cord to help pull them out with.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

mental note wrote:

Drybones wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

They do work good. I have a set I use with my two person tent that I made. I drilled holes in the end just under the head and put in a little loop of cord to help pull them out with.
      That may well be what I replace my current ones with. I bought two sets of other ones and am not that impressed by either design.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • odd man out wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

rafe wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

rafe wrote:

Seconds (unit of time) are very much part of the metric system, are they not?
      They are indeed. But seconds of impulse (dividing pounds of force by pounds of mass and saying that the units cancel) is just WRONG.
      But then, "pounds of mass" is an oxymoron.
      I oughta slug you one for that!
      Ouch. But that pun is way too subtle for maybe 99.999% of the population.
      Unfortunately you're correct.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

mental note wrote:

Drybones wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

That may well be what I replace my current ones with. I bought two sets of other ones and am not that impressed by either design.
      For the Scout loaner tents I've collected, usually the pegs are hopelessly bent, ineffective, or mostly missing. I picked up on sale sets from Harbor Freight featuring nearly useless for any serious effort screwdrivers. However they make great tent pegs in most circumstances (not snow). Easy in and easy out.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC