Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Self Driving Cars

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Self Driving Cars

The ultimate hiker vehicle.

The self driving cart could be the ultimate hiker vehicle.

1) You can sleep in the car on the way to the trail. Those that live eight hours away from the trail can sleep though the night and be rested upon arrival.
      2) Your car can meet you at road crossings with cold beer or supplies.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I like it. I could have my car shuttle me and meet me with cheeseburgers and beer and help the economy if it'd made in the USA- a Win Win.

A Self Indulging Self Supported Slack Pack. And a maybe a new kind of FKT.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I hate to be a wet blanket on your for fun thread, but I see self driving cars as just another symptom of our increasingly infantilized and dependent society. I hate the idea.

Along that line the major automakers have announced that all cars they produce by 2022 will be 'Self Braking.' Yes, I really hate that idea too. Here is an article which discusses the self braking car...

ericpetersautos.com/2016/03/17/car-biz-goes-full-clover/

When did we become a nation that sacrifices personal freedoms and independence in the name of 'safety.' :(
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

I hate to be a wet blanket on your for fun thread, but I see self driving cars as just another symptom of our increasingly infantilized and dependent society. I hate the idea.

Along that line the major automakers have announced that all cars they produce by 2022 will be 'Self Braking.' Yes, I really hate that idea too. Here is an article which discusses the self braking car...

When did we become a nation that sacrifices personal freedoms and independence in the name of 'safety.' :(
      I'd trust those brakes just as much as I trust my elected officials to do what they said they would do when they were running for office.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • as long as we continue to have ineffective laws that allow drunks to get behind the wheel, and allow people to check their facebook status while driving, then having cars that will attempt to brake instead of ramming me in the rear is fine with me.
      2,000 miler
    • Still haven't received an answer. How will a SDC decide between hitting a bicyclist or a pedestrian if time/speed/distance criteria provide no option for avoidance.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Still haven't received an answer. How will a SDC decide between hitting a bicyclist or a pedestrian if time/speed/distance criteria provide no option for avoidance.
      The odds of a self driving vehicle being in that position is almost inconsequential compared to the liklihood of a person driving getting into the same situation. Self driving cars are able to monitor for hazards 360 degrees around the vehicle and are designed to be overly cautious. In all likelyhood the only thing a self driving car will do to you is drive you nuts for going too slow.

Here's an entertaining but oversimplified review of the google car.

theoatmeal.com/blog/google_self_driving_car
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • IMScotty wrote:

I hate to be a wet blanket on your for fun thread, but I see self driving cars as just another symptom of our increasingly infantilized and dependent society. I hate the idea.

We lost that battle many years ago when seatbelts became mandatory.
      And the automotive world isn't the only place that is happening.
    • Dan76 wrote:

Still haven't received an answer. How will a SDC decide between hitting a bicyclist or a pedestrian if time/speed/distance criteria provide no option for avoidance.
      I'll give you another situation, real life for me: I'm going down the road with a truck in front of me with side boards and stuff stacked up so I can't see past him, drizzling rain, driving 50, in a hurry and wanting to pass, truck in front of me hits the brakes and starts o fish tail, I glance to the right for a place to bail if needed, truck does a sharp right into a pasture and there's a car passing an 18 wheeler about to hit me head on, 18 wheeler to the left, car in my lane doing probably 65+, micro seconds away...what do you do? I was in a Tundra 4-door, biggest truck on the road, the 18-wheeler filled the left lane, a car dead ahead in my lane...by all rights I should have gone off the road to the right but went into the center between the two vehicles...do the math...my truck fills a lane, 18-wheeler fills a lane...it should have been bye bye Drybones...got the front of my truck through and thought I'd made it all the way when the car coming head on hit my back tires knocking the axle off but no injuries to me...I would tell you how I made it through that but I believe no religious topics are permitted here.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • JimBlue wrote:

There are science fiction stories about self-driving cars that can protect themselves. Some update alters the car's computer and it thinks anyone in the car is a danger and kills them.
      Issaic Asimov

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Drybones wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

There are science fiction stories about self-driving cars that can protect themselves. Some update alters the car's computer and it thinks anyone in the car is a danger and kills them.
      You think we could get one of those to do shuttles around the capital building in DC?
      I'd settle for one shuttling UT legislators.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC