Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What's In Your First Aid Kit?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:What's In Your First Aid Kit?

Forget snarky - all prescription drugs and insecticides are nothing more than compounds that have a benefit and a consequence - you have to follow the label... -folks think that taking more will solve their problem.

As for this compound yes it kills cat's not dogs... go figure... The important thing here or the take away is that once dry it only harms insects... Once dry cats have no risk. I think 5% IS FINE!

Colgate and Crest are compounds that have a benefit - one is clean teeth - but don't swallow it. This carries a warning... the compound has water soluble glass and other interesting stuff in it but carries a bigger risk than what we are talking about.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I have concerns about the concentrated form of Permethrin being in or near my house. I'll have to look at the pre-diluted.

I share your concerns and I am in pest control. - that concentrations is not recommended for clothing.

Of course it needs diluting. I suppose one could pay someone else to do that. I prefer to save money. There is nothing magical about someone else adding the water.

I won't risk harming my animals.

If you have cats that is a huge concern. However, I would have no less concern for 10% than I would have for 75%. In my mind, I would make sure 0% got near them. Each person has to decide for them self. Quite frankly antifreeze is a greater danger.

I'm sorry if I sounded snarky.

You did not. You love your animals. You are a good person. I am just trying to point out that there is no logical comfort level of a poison. We have many things in our house that can kill us and our animals. We have to keep us and them safe with a zero tolerance plan. Do not comfort your self with only having 10%. That is illogical. They cannot get near the 10% either. You should not fear a higher percentage. They are not safe around any percentage. it is like fearing a 1000' dropoff more than a 100' dropoff. It iis not logical but many do anyways. Just my opinion. If anyone is being snarky, it is me.

I'm just tired BB. I understand what your saying.
      Lost in the right direction.

BirdBrain wrote:

But I like being snarky. I would continue to be snarky on this one but I have already said too much........ and my shock collar is going off. I am out of this debate.

wasnt a debate - we are not 19 year olds - I hope it was more of a conversation... OK you are beat - me too... an employee was late to show up and hold the 45 foot ladder. STBMe

BirdBrain wrote:

You did not. You love your animals. You are a good person. I am just trying to point out that there is no logical comfort level of a poison. We have many things in our house that can kill us and our animals. We have to keep us and them safe with a zero tolerance plan. Do not comfort your self with only having 10%. That is illogical. They cannot get near the 10% either. You should not fear a higher percentage. They are not safe around any percentage. it is like fearing a 1000' dropoff more than a 100' dropoff. It iis not logical but many do anyways. Just my opinion. If anyone is being snarky, it is me.

Methanol is a poison to Humans (Heet) Insecticide is not Homicide. Just a suggestion ... We all love animals. until they make us sick or cost us money. Some of the first insecticides 7000 BC was nothing more than Chrysanthemum crushed into a powder. Grandma used to use Geraniums planted flowers in front of windows prior to the invention of fly screens. Gots lots more... don't want to be a boar.

When I remember (like next time as I got 2 ticks on my day walk last week) I spray my trouser legs and the bottom of my pack with a garden Permethrin spray. Just make sure I don't touch any of it until it dries. Try not to have skin contact after that.
      Had very little tick problems when I have done this.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • What's In Your First Aid Kit?

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Astro wrote:

1azarus wrote:

i have this little aluminum foil single use bacetracin thingy... a dose of antibiotic for tick exposure... duct tape... ibuprofin... hydropel... kite string and a couple of zip ties.

What type of antibiotic is good for tick exposure?

Tick prevention is key - Deep Woods Off first - then Doxycycline... now a world shortage.

Permethrin. Zero ticks for me last year.

Same here. :)

Do you soak or spray? What product/concentration do you use?

I sprayed. Last year was the first time I used it.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General