Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What's In Your First Aid Kit?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's In Your First Aid Kit?

Don't know what was in mine. Never looked inside it. Had moleskn. Brother in law used it a lot. My new one will likely have vitamin I, glide liquid powder, moleskin, neosporin, a square of gauze, duct tap, and nail clippers. Not really a first aid kit, but ya'.., Might skip the guaze.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Re:What's In Your First Aid Kit?

I have a few bandaids, a little tape, a dozen Benadryl because I'm allergic to wasps, a couple of alcohol wipes and a couple of gauze pads. If this doesn't fix it then I'm heading off trail anyway.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

BirdBrain wrote:

We had a small dedicated kit on our walk. Doubt I will again. There will be multi use items in ditty bag that can be used for first aid plus foot care.

I have a ditty bag too that needs looking at but there's not much in there I'll part with.

Duct tape
      Glide, in a tiny promo container
      Rope
      Matches
      TP
      Soap sheets
      Hand sanitizer
      1/2 oz of tick repellent
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Re: What's In Your First Aid Kit?

hikerboy wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Zee brand Knuckle bandages
      neosporin
      2 squares of gauze
      Needle and thread
      nail clipper
      tea candle
      screens
      safety pins
      razor blade
      headache, & sinus tablets
      mini bic click
      3" pocket knife

I think that is it! :)
      screens?

Keeps the insects away?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

neosporin
      2 squares of gauze
      Needle and thread
      nail clipper
      tea candle
      screens
      safety pins
      razor blade
      mini bic click
      3" pocket knife

screens?

Keeps the insects away?

Tent repair I think.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

neosporin
      2 squares of gauze
      Needle and thread
      nail clipper
      tea candle
      screens
      safety pins
      razor blade
      mini bic click
      3" pocket knife

screens?

Keeps the insects away?

Tent repair I think.
      he doesnt have a tent. he has a tarp and bug net.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

neosporin
      2 squares of gauze
      Needle and thread
      nail clipper
      tea candle
      screens
      safety pins
      razor blade
      mini bic click
      3" pocket knife

screens?

Keeps the insects away?

Tent repair I think.

Must be for the bug net then. :S

1azarus wrote:

i have this little aluminum foil single use bacetracin thingy... a dose of antibiotic for tick exposure... duct tape... ibuprofin... hydropel... kite string and a couple of zip ties.

What type of antibiotic is good for tick exposure?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

Astro wrote:

1azarus wrote:

i have this little aluminum foil single use bacetracin thingy... a dose of antibiotic for tick exposure... duct tape... ibuprofin... hydropel... kite string and a couple of zip ties.

Doxycycline.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: What's In Your First Aid Kit?

milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

neosporin
      2 squares of gauze
      Needle and thread
      nail clipper
      tea candle
      screens
      safety pins
      razor blade
      mini bic click
      3" pocket knife

screens?

Keeps the insects away?

Tent repair I think.

Must be for the bug net then. :S

Aeration screen for the faucet on the kitchen sink? He is a heavyweight hiker you know .
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

1azarus wrote:

Doxycycline.

over 90% of deer ticks do not carry lyme disease.the symptoms sometimes may not manifest for several weeks. the best course is prevention with repellant/permethrin treated clothing during the height of the season, as well as daily tick checks.if you do contract lyme, you need a full course of antibiotics, a single dose will only give you piece of mind.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

1azarus wrote:

Doxycycline.

over 90% of deer ticks do not carry lyme disease.the symptoms sometimes may not manifest for several weeks. the best course is prevention with repellant/permethrin treated clothing during the height of the season, as well as daily tick checks.if you do contract lyme, you need a full course of antibiotics, a single dose will only give you piece of mind.

Absolutely. A full course treatment can be quite long too. 3 weeks to a month. I've heard of even longer than that. It's some mean stuff. And doesn't the tick have to be embedded for a fairly long time as well?

milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

1azarus wrote:

Doxycycline.

Absolutely. A full course treatment can be quite long too. 3 weeks to a month. I've heard of even longer than that. It's some mean stuff. And doesn't the tick have to be embedded for a fairly long time as well?
      as much as 72 hours
      its all good

LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

i'v never had a"first aid" kit for hiking. what you got in it?

Don't laugh

3 packs Surgicel
      Sterile gloves
      3 packs steri strips
      steri strip adhesive
      dermabond
      Alcohol pads
      2 gauze pads
      Band aids
      Meds
      Survival blanket
      Scissors
      Band aids
      Iodine swabs
      carry what you got. 8 oz. ain't shit

i dont see a survival bracelet on that list
      .you can use it for tourniquets,suture,floss, sling,fishing line, bottle opener,and 1001 other uses.
      its all good

BirdBrain wrote:

Yes. It isn't like a bug bite. Get it in the first day and you should be time. Permethrin works. I saw zero ticks this past summer.

Oh no, I saw ticks everywhere!!! I do hourly tick checks. i had 2 on me in May in NJ, I saw many more. I had one on me from the bush-wack to Goose pond Cabin. It was tiny, but I felt it digging into my knee! When The Elf put that story, in the Blaze, about the ticks feeding on the moose in New Hampshire, I was walking a few weekends up there and I was freaking out thinking about TICKS.....I was taking 5 steps....checking for tics.....5 steps...checking for ticks!!! gif.002
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

neosporin
      2 squares of gauze
      Needle and thread
      nail clipper
      tea candle
      screens
      safety pins
      razor blade
      mini bic click
      3" pocket knife

screens?

Keeps the insects away?

They are small for the Ticks!

I just checked, I also have 1 mombo jombo band-aid, like 2" x 4", moleskin, and 2 fresh AAAs.

CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Yes. It isn't like a bug bite. Get it in the first day and you should be time. Permethrin works. I saw zero ticks this past summer.

Oh no, I saw ticks everywhere!!! I do hourly tick checks. i had 2 on me in May in NJ, I saw many more. I had one on me from the bush-wack to Goose pond Cabin. It was tiny, but I felt it digging into my knee! When The Elf put that story, in the Blaze, about the ticks feeding on the moose in New Hampshire, I was walking a few weekends up there and I was freaking out thinking about TICKS.....I was taking 5 steps....checking for tics.....5 steps...checking for ticks!!! gif.002

Yup. I searched often too. Saw none. Totally sold on permethrin.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Yup. I searched often too. Saw none. Totally sold on permethrin.

I did dip my walking clothes for our walk in NJ, but I wear shorts and they hook up on my hairy legs. Which actually helps me keep them off. They latch on and don't climb on my skin...they climb on my hair and I can feel them. I can't ever recall having to pull a tick out of me

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

1azarus wrote:

Doxycycline.

Hey H.B. I guess i like piece of mind... no harm done as best as i can see, anyway, to try the single dose:
      According to guidelines from the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), people bitten by deer ticks should not routinely receive antibiotics to prevent the disease.
      A single dose of the antibiotic doxycycline may be given in situations that meet all of the following conditions:
      The tick is still attached to the patient and is positively identified as an adult or nymphal I. scapularis (the tick that carries the Lyme disease B. burgdorferi spirochete).
      Doxycycline treatment can be started within 72 hours of the tick bite.
      There is proof that at least 20% of ticks in that geographic area are infected with B. burgdorferi .
      It is safe for the patient to receive doxycycline (this drug should not be given to pregnant women or children younger than 8 years of age).
      In general, the risk of developing Lyme disease after being bitten by a tick is only 1 - 3%. However, patients who have removed attached ticks from themselves should inform their doctors. Patients who have been bitten by a tick should be monitored for up to 30 days to make sure they do not develop symptoms of Lyme disease, especially the tell-tale bull’s-eye rash. If you do develop a skin lesion or flu-like illness during this time, be sure to tell your doctor.
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!

1azarus wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

1azarus wrote:

Doxycycline.

Hey H.B. I guess i like piece of mind... no harm done as best as i can see, anyway, to try the single dose:
      According to guidelines from the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), people bitten by deer ticks should not routinely receive antibiotics to prevent the disease.
      A single dose of the antibiotic doxycycline may be given in situations that meet all of the following conditions:
      The tick is still attached to the patient and is positively identified as an adult or nymphal I. scapularis (the tick that carries the Lyme disease B. burgdorferi spirochete).
      Doxycycline treatment can be started within 72 hours of the tick bite.
      There is proof that at least 20% of ticks in that geographic area are infected with B. burgdorferi .
      It is safe for the patient to receive doxycycline (this drug should not be given to pregnant women or children younger than 8 years of age).
      In general, the risk of developing Lyme disease after being bitten by a tick is only 1 - 3%. However, patients who have removed attached ticks from themselves should inform their doctors. Patients who have been bitten by a tick should be monitored for up to 30 days to make sure they do not develop symptoms of Lyme disease, especially the tell-tale bull’s-eye rash. If you do develop a skin lesion or flu-like illness during this time, be sure to tell your doctor.
      no harm at all, and possibly beneficial.im just thinking unless youre gonna be out for a while, the dose can wait, and if you are going to be out for a while, its not enough.
      its all good

what a pleasure for me to start a post with "i could be wrong HB, but..."

i could be wrong, but i believe that the single dose administered immediately is to avoid the infection, so that no continued treatment is required. you never actually know if you would have gotten lyme disease in the one-dose scenario -- and you are right, the odds of getting it from a single tick were fairly small to begin with. and yes, i do have a lyme disease issue which is one of the six issues my wife gets to tease me about. relentlessly. you are more than welcome to join her.
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!