Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Made another DIY hammock

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Made another DIY hammock

Made a hammock using the new Riobic 1.0 material I've been hearing about, it's supposed to be 50% stronger and 250% more tear resistant than the regular ripstop nylon, the material is much wider than the last hammock I made using 1.0 material so at 13.5 oz (including suspension and stuff sack) it's also heavier by 1.5 oz, I was surprised at the stretch, was expecting a stiffer material, hopefully will get to test it out next week end, those buckles in the photo are great for reducing weight, titanium, 9 grams each....also $11 each.
      Images
      • 2016_0311ctrail0003.JPG

261.66 kB, 800×600, viewed 549 times
      • 2016_0311ctrail0001.JPG

263.19 kB, 800×600, viewed 609 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Dan76 wrote:

Does the material continue to stretch with usage?

Can you provide a source for Ti buckles?
      I've only slept in it one night so far, and it was a good sleep, so I don't know for certain but I believe what stretch it has will stay but not increase...I believe I'm going to really like it, I've hung a HyperD hammock to sleep in tonight for comparison. The buckles are from Dutch, I really like them, without them I'd never have gotten my weight low enough to make the transition to hammocks.
    • Drybones wrote:

Made a hammock using the new Riobic 1.0 material I've been hearing about, it's supposed to be 50% stronger and 250% more tear resistant than the regular ripstop nylon, the material is much wider than the last hammock I made using 1.0 material so at 13.5 oz (including suspension and stuff sack) it's also heavier by 1.5 oz, I was surprised at the stretch, was expecting a stiffer material, hopefully will get to test it out next week end, those buckles in the photo are great for reducing weight, titanium, 9 grams each....also $11 each.
      Looks great thanks for including pics.. question while its hanging take a glass of water and dump it in the base of the hammock and see if the new material holds water or lets it pass.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Ripstop by the roll has a new lightweight coated fabric for making tarps....93 oz/yd coated weight. I guess I'll have to make a 4th tarp, every time I think I have what I need they come out with something new and lighter, I believe the fabric industry is taking a lesson from Microsoft.
    • Drybones wrote:

Ripstop by the roll has a new lightweight coated fabric for making tarps....93 oz/yd coated weight. I guess I'll have to make a 4th tarp, every time I think I have what I need they come out with something new and lighter, I believe the fabric industry is taking a lesson from Microsoft.
      Yes but what was the outcome of the test? did it retain water?
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Ripstop by the roll has a new lightweight coated fabric for making tarps....93 oz/yd coated weight. I guess I'll have to make a 4th tarp, every time I think I have what I need they come out with something new and lighter, I believe the fabric industry is taking a lesson from Microsoft.
      Why would I want to pour water in my hammock?
    • Drybones wrote:

I am trying real hard to stop making new tarps myself. Now I will have to go their website and check it out. Just when I thought I had my addiction under control. See what you've done!!! :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Drybones wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Why would I want to pour water in my hammock?
      When testing tents and tarps for waterproof capabilities one should use a garden hose before going out in the field.
    • LIHikers,

I use a Warbonnet Blackbird and love the comfortable sleep, but I also recognize it is not for everyone.

The best way to try one out would be to find a kind soul who will let you use theirs. The investment in a hammock is fairly modest, but to really be comfortable at most temperatures you want a good underquilt, top quilt and so on and that can get expensive just to find out if it works for you.

There are dedicated hammock groups that sometimes have 'Meetups,' that could be a good way to learn your options and try things out.

One big problem with hammocking is that they are not 'couple' friendly.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Drybones wrote:

dutchwaregear.com/product/ti-dutch-hooks/

dutchwaregear.com/product/titanium-cinch-buckle/

These are two things that help really get your weight down and make set up simple
      I recently switched over to LoopAliens to adjust my tarp ridgeline and I have enjoyed their simplicity. There is a nice video on YouTube showing all the different ways they can be configured.
      loopalien.com/products/aluminum-rca

The Dutchware buckles look interesting, I'll have to give them a try. If I am not paying attention when I set up my standard Warbonnet hammock straps the buckles can misalign and slip then down I go :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

The post was edited 1 time, last by IMScotty ().

• Dan76 wrote:

Does the material continue to stretch with usage?

Can you provide a source for Ti buckles?
      Yes,

Drybones wrote:

made another hammock and tested in the back yard, used 1.67 instead of 1.1 material this time, has a great feel, will use for car camping
      Don't worry about the stretch - appears the material bounces back during the day. - Egh…. Nice feet. Why car camping?