Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Visiting the AT with wheels

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Visiting the AT with wheels

So Merry and I are back from our road trip to Florida. We saw a lot of the AT.

On the way down, while visiting my niece and her family, we spent a gorgeous summer-like day in Harpers Ferry. Wow, that was was almost three weeks ago.

On the way back home (this week) we stopped in Asheville NC for a couple of days, and spent an afternoon in Hot Springs. From Asheville we hightailed it up to Buena Vista VA, and drove the Blue Ridge Parkway up through SNP. We stopped for a couple hours easy hike near Skyland. Another gorgeous day. We dined at Ming Gardens in Waynesboro, and I must admit it was pretty lame. I'd missed that on my section hike years ago -- I stayed at the Inn at Afton, up on the hill at Rockfish Gap. The Inn is still standing, but doesn't appear to be open for business.

Today we made it home from somewhere near Harrisburg PA, on I81 and I84. Crossed the trail several more times in PA and in NY. Just after I81 splits off from I78, I noticed a couple of bridges that seemed vaguely familiar. Yeah, that was Swatara Gap, and I remembered those bridges from the ground view as I meandered off the mountain towards Port Clinton (southbound.) Port Clinton doesn't even show up on our PA state map.

Near Port Jervis, NY I noticed a tall monument on a hill several miles south of the highway... and soon realized it was the tower at Highpoint State Park in NJ.

In any case, a lot more interesting than flying up I95 along the seaboard. Merry liked Asheville and there was some discussion of whether we should consider it as a place to retire to. We even had a realtor show us through a few condo units.
    • The Afton Inn has been closed for a couple of years now. I never stayed there, only went in the office to tell them I was leaving my car there, that place is nastier than the Doyle. The Blue Ridge Parkway/ Skyline Drive is a great drive with plenty of views.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Forgot to mention.... while we were in Asheville, we took a little side trip to Black Mountain for a short visit with Chris Gallaway and his wife Larissa and new son Colin. Chris is the fellow who made the film "Long Start To the Journey" (theatmovie.com.) Chris and Larissa are Frost and Sunshine in the movie. If you haven't seen it, you're missing one of the best thru-hiking films ever made.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

The Afton Inn has been closed for a couple of years now. I never stayed there, only went in the office to tell them I was leaving my car there, that place is nastier than the Doyle. The Blue Ridge Parkway/ Skyline Drive is a great drive with plenty of views.
      A while back a group of us motorcycled the Skyline and Blue Ridge. Several riders were nearly swept off the road when 4-wheelers would make sudden turns into the overlooks without signaling.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC