Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

my laptop has failed

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• rafe wrote:

Since we're on the subject of math, the word "algebra" is derived from Arabic, and the Moors were first to add the notion of zero to number systems. Alright, that was 500 years ago, more or less, but still. At that point in history they were way ahead of the dumb Europeans who were still stuck in the dark ages.
      I once gave a lecture on how the Moores developed astronomical tables for predicting eclipses, moon phases, and planetary movement. As 9/11 had occurred a few weeks earlier, some audience members considered the talk as defensive and apologist in nature.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

rafe wrote:

Since we're on the subject of math, the word "algebra" is derived from Arabic, and the Moors were first to add the notion of zero to number systems. Alright, that was 500 years ago, more or less, but still. At that point in history they were way ahead of the dumb Europeans who were still stuck in the dark ages.
      I once gave a lecture on how the Moores developed astronomical tables for predicting eclipses, moon phases, and planetary movement. As 9/11 had occurred a few weeks earlier, some audience members considered the talk as defensive and apologist in nature.
      1000 years ago Europe was a backwater and the Islamic world from north Africa through to central Asia was the world's economic, political, intellectual, and artistic powerhouse. Happy Nowruz (belated).
    • Dan76 wrote:

rafe wrote:

Yeah, reality didn't mean much to them then. Some of my ancestors, like the Norse, engaged in some unsavory acticities, but they also made good art and decorations.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.