Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Long Trail Overview

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Long Trail Overview

The Long Trail

Distance: 270 Miles
      Terrain: Moderate to difficult.
      Maintaining Organization: Green Mountain Club

Overview: The Long Trail is the oldest long distance hiking path in the United States, preceding even the Appalachian Trail which it shares tread with for the southern 100 miles. It was first conceived by James P Taylor in 1910. The Green Mountain Club (GMC) was formed & construction began in 1912. The final link to the Canadian Border was completed in 1930. It stretches from the Massachusetts border for 270 miles to the Canadian border. It has 54 shelters along length ranging from 3 sided shelters to lodges (enclosed cabin). Fee are charged for some of the high use sites where there is a caretaker in residence during the hiking season. The terrain is moderate in the southern half growing more rugged in the northern end as it follows the spine of the Green Mountains up through the center of VT. It a nice mix of shaded hikes, with ponds, steams, views from several fire towers, ski resorts, & alpine terrain. Supply is generally easy as locals are aware of the trail & very friendly.

Getting there: Like The Appalachian Trail, the Long trail terminus require hiking to get to. The nearest towns to the trail are Williamstown, MA at the southern end & North Troy, VT at the northern end. Major airports serving the trail are Logan Airport in Boston, MA & Burlington Airport in VT http://www.burlingtonintlairport.com/, and Albany Int Airport, Albany , NY. From the airports one can catch a Greyhound close to the southern terminus in Willamstown, MA. Getting to the northern terminus requires a hitch or a shuttle. The End to Ender’s Guide lists some but for up to date information .it’s best to call the GMC. There is also local buses that parallels the southern half along the Rt 7 corridor rub by Marble Valley Transit. http://www.thebus.com/.
      Amtrak: http://www.amtrak.com/home also Makes stops close to the trail in the towns of: Brattleboro Bellow Falls, Waterbury, White River Junction, Rutland, and Burlington.
      Greyhound: https://www.greyhound.com/ You can get to Williamstown, MA via Greyhound. They also service Bellows Falls( See "THe Bus" website above for connections close to trail from here) , Brattleboro, Montpieler, Burlington, & White River Jct..
      For current shuttles your best bet is contacting the GMC for an up to date list.

Resources: The GMC offers all you need for your hike. Their “Long Trail Guide” give in depth trail description, overview map & trail maps for Camel Hump & Mt Mansfield. I feel it is more information than I need on the trail. I highly advise their “End to Ender Guide” it gives you the information you need on shelters, town resources, shuttlers, and other information needed for a long distance hike. Along with their waterproof topo map the two should be all you need. Although I found their map to be good I noticed that several snowmobile trails weren’t listed on it. Not a big deal, just be aware of it.

Re-supply: Re-supply is fairly easy from the LT. Hitching from a trailhead into town is fairly easy. Most hiker use Manchester Center, Rutland/Killington, Jonesville/Richmond, & Johnson. There are several other option available. Manchester Center & Rutland have
      several large markets, outfitters, hotels & restaurants. Jonesville has a PO close to the trail but for any other services you have to hitch in Richmond or Waterbury. Johnson lost their grocery store (due to re-open) in Hurricane Irene so if you need more than a mail drop & gas station food you will need to hitch to Morrisville or Jeffersonville. There are several other option available depending on how often you want to resupply.

Some places not to miss:
      The Inn on the Long Trail http://www.innatlongtrail.com/Home.html This hiker friendly in is a great place to relax at the 100 mile mark northbound. Great food & spirits. If you are on a budget they have free camping across RT 4 from them. Be warned it is at the peak of the hill & can get noisy with trucks climbing it. You can catch a local bus at it to head into Rutland to re-supply or about a mile down the road is a good size market/deli next to the Killington, PO.

The Long Trail Brewery: http://www.longtrail.com/ a short hitch down RT-4 in Bridgewater Corners. Take a tour of their facilities & enjoy a meal their pub.

Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream: http://www.benjerry.com/ See where it all started & take a tour of their plant in Waterbury, VT. While in Waterbury, stop in the GMC office.

Green Mountain Club
      4711 Waterbury-Stowe Rd.
      Waterbury, VT 05677
      Tel: 802 244-7037 Fax: 802 244-5867
      Email: gmc@greenmountainclub.org

Always willing to help out when I can. Feel free to email me if you have any mountainsmike@yahoo.com
      Mountain Mike
    • Found out this past weekend from my wife's aunt that I had hiked up Mount Mansfield back in 1996. I just knew at the time we were hiking somewhere in Vermont. LT, AT, PCT, CDT, JMT, etc.. did not mean much to me back then. Now I realize I had hiked on the Long Trail long before I started sectioning the AT back in 2010. 8)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I just returned (well, a few days ago) from a 36 mile section of the northern LT. I had done the southern part of the LT -- the part that's also the AT -- back in 2002. Over the last two summers I'd hiked northward from "Maine Junction" (where the AT veers off toward Hanover NH) up and over Mansfield. That left 63 miles to Canada... which I was hoping to do on this hike, but it was not to be. I started at Smugglers Notch (where you end up after climbing up and over Mt. Mansfield, northbound.) I cut the hike short at Eden crossing, aka VT. Rte 118.

The LT is a very different animal from the AT, particularly north of Maine Junction (Rte. 4) It's kinda raw, particularly up north, and there are long stretches (and many summits) with no views at all. I found myself getting claustrophobic on some of these section hikes, particularly the last one. It's really tough, in places... comparable to White Mountain hiking. With a full pack (I was at 30 lbs, loaded with food and water) I can only make a bit over 1 mph on average on the northern LT.

Profile maps are deceiving. In general the verticals don't seem that huge, but they hardly tell the story. Or maybe I'm just getting old and lame. The LT beat me up on this last hike.

What I'd really love is to do the last 30 miles as three consecutive day trips, staying at inns or B&Bs nearby. A hiking companion for this section would be great, as well. It could all be done in one 3 or 4-day long weekend.

• Long Trail Guide Book - 1921

The 1921 Long Trail Guidebook was printed by the Tuttle Company in Rutland, Vermont. This guide was 55 pages and cost 55 cents. The following are excerpts from the original guide.

Preface
      The Green Mountains of Vermont have been sadly neglected, which is strange, as the entire range is within plain sight of the much frequented White Mountain and Adirondack Mountain groups and their noble skyline might well have inspired excursions into a virgin mountain region. This neglect lies with the people of the State who failed to make the mountains accessible or to give them due publicity; up to ten years ago only half a dozen of the principal peaks had trails to their summits. Vermont is so completely mountainous that its mountain area exceeds the combined area of the White, Adirondack and Catskill Mountains. It has always been claimed that if Vermont could be pressed out smooth its area would probably exceed that of Texas!...

The waste of this golden opportunity impressed itself on James P. Taylor, then principal of the Vermont Academy at Saxtons River, and a small number of mountain-lovers gathered at his call in Burlington on March 11, 1910, at which meeting was organized THE GREEN MOUNTAIN CLUB. The purpose of the Club is to build trails, to erect camps and shelters, to issue maps and literature, and in general to make the mountains play a larger part in the life of the State, thereby giving the Green Mountains a start toward achieving their proper rank. Toward this end The Long Trail project was launched, a trail to traverse the entire length of the main range from Massachusetts to Canada.

The Club
      Purposes and Membership
      The Green Mountain Club exists to bring the people to the Green Mountains and to make the Green Mountains accessible to the people. It builds and maintains trails, especially The Long Trail and its approaches; it conducts a campaign of publicity through the press and by means of lectures illustrated with lantern slides. The Club has grown from its original twenty-three members to its present strength of eight hundred, five hundred of whom are in Sections located at Rutland, Bennington, Burlington, Middlebury and Proctor in Vermont, and a large Section in New York City. The remaining members are classed as "unattached" and their dues are the main revenue of the Club treasury.

Each Section assumes the care of The Long Trail and its camps in their assigned territory; the New York Section being responsible for The Trail between Camel's Hump (Couching Lion) and Middlebury Gap. Where there are no Sections the building and care of The Trail is in charge of the G.M.C. treasury, which also extends aid to Sections where necessary. Only devoted volunteer labor and generous gifts of money in excess of dues on the part of many members have made possible the work already done. As The Trail lengthens the yearly cost of upkeep increases; and with the natural annual loss of members and rising costs of labor and materials, a continuous effort must be made to get new members.

The dues are now Two Dollars yearly (varying in some Sections) without initiation fee. All mountain-lovers and those interested in the Club's efforts, all those who believe in the great out-of-doors, are invited to become members of The Green Mountain Club. Two dollars sent direct to the treasurer, E. S. Marsh, Brandon, Vermont, will bring a membership card good for the current year. Further information may be obtained from officials of the Club, together with application forms, or from the Chairman of the Membership Committee.

Louis J. Paris, M. D.,
      324 South Union Street,
      Burlington, Vermont.

Personal Equipment
      The following suggestions are offered to those going to The Long Trail for the first time, and are to be taken in the light of advice. They are based on the experience of those who have used The Trail, but old-timers may have their own ideas that differ...

No person should attempt to tramp The Trail without a light axe, and a good compass. Even women should take at least a belt-hatchet; fuel must be replaced as used with good fuel and not easily-obtained rotten wood or none at all. Trail hogs and hedgehogs are the only pests in our mountains; and they are getting scarcer every year . . .

Of all the personal equipment, the most important is good shoes; these should not be old, as the strain on them is great. They should be well broken in, loose (the feet swell or expand under the weight of the pack) and well oiled as they will often be wet. Munson last army shoes are advised. "Sneaks" are not good. Thick woolen socks should be worn. Do not imagine you "cannot wear wool stockings"--you can. Those similar to the ones knitted by Red Cross workers are best. They are needed as cushions to the feet carrying the unusual weight over unusually rough ground, and protect the feet from blisters and abrasions as well as from the wet. Woolen underwear is also important as you will sweat heavily; it prevents chill on the mountain tops where winds are keen even in August. An extra suit to sleep in will save blankets.

Women should not wear skirts, even divided skirts; riding breeches are advised, khaki or close-woven stuff for both men and women. Long stockings may be worn on most trails, but spiral puttees are more durable in brush, and dryer in wet ferns. A large bandanna neckerchief is useful as protection against sunburn and almost essential in fly time (June 1 to July 15). Canvas gloves give protection to tender hands while chopping or cooking, and weigh little. Flannel shirts should have pockets, and collar and long sleeves are essential in fly-time.

A tent is not necessary on most of The Trail as shelters of some sort are usually available; it may be needed in the southerly parts if the hiker desires to sleep out instead of seeking farmhouses, in which case a very light, small tent of balloon silk or the like is advised.

WEAR ON PERSON:

Thin woolen underwear, knitted wool socks, well-oiled army shoes (Munson last), flannel shirt with breast pockets, (sleeves and collar necessary in fly-time). Khaki trousers or breeches and belt (avoid shorts in fly-time), bandanna neckerchief, headgear at will (Duxbak fisherman's hat recommended), wrist-watch.

CARRY IN POCKETS:

Left shirt: handkerchief, postals, notebook, pencil. Right shirt: guide-book, money securely pinned in bag or envelope. Left trousers: matches in flat tin box, waterproof. Right trousers: pocket knife, strong twine. Left hip: toilet paper. Fob pocket: compass on lanyard.

CARRY ON BELT:

Camera in holster, sheath-knife if used, field-glasses in holster to replace camera for one member of party. Axe or hatchet in sheath may be carried on belt, but avoid long handle or heavy weight.

Food
      Food List For Two Men For Two Weeks
      Flour, 10 lbs.
      Baking Powder, 1-2 lbs.
      Bacon, 5 lbs.Dried Apricots, 2 lbs.
      Cinnamon, 1 oz.Dried milk, 2 lbs.
      Cocoa, instant, 1 canSuccotash, 2 cans
      Corn meal, 4 lbs.Butter, 4 lbs.
      Pepper, 1-2 oz.Rice, 2 lbs.
      Bread, 1 loafOatmeal, 3 lbs.
      Sugar, 9 lbs.Salt 1 1-2 lbs.
      Raisins, 1 lbs.Tea, 1-2 lbs or more
      Chocolate, 2 lbs.Salmon, 2 cans
      Cheese, 1-2 lbsCandles, 6

The above list is the average of a number of trips, and is suited to the appetite of the author. Some will need more; but it is wiser to reach a food station or the end of the trip just about out of food, rather than to carry several unnecessary pounds over mountain trails - better even to go without a meal due to short commons.

...The wise man goes light.

Mount Mansfield
      Mount Mansfield is the highest of the Green Mountains; its silhouette strikingly resembles a man's face, and the peaks are consequently named The Forehead, The Nose, The Chin, etc., the former being at the southerly end of the ridge. The Indians, in the musical language of the Waubanakees, called it Moze-o-de-be Wadso, Moosehead Mountain...

Mount Mansfield is interesting in many ways; on its bare summit (the largest areas above tree line in Vermont) are glacial boulders, travellers from faraway deposits. Botanists will find rare plants, some said to be of pre-glacial origin; more human, there is a cairn of stones, the Frenchman's Monument, that marks the spot where a traveller was killed by lightning. Smugglers' Notch dates back in local history to the days of the War of 1812, when rovers made use of it as a safe and secret passage for smuggled goods, Smugglers' Cave having sheltered many things that were never passed by the Customs![/td]
      [/tr]
      [/table]
      its all good
    • I finally finished the Long Trail a couple weeks ago.

Part 1 was the AT portion, which I completed in 2002 and 2003, southbound from Hanover NH. AT meets LT at "Maine Junction" near Rte. 4 in Vermont.

Finished the northern 2/3 of the LT over the last four summers (2012-2015.) Some of it was boring as heck, some of it was a bit too exciting, as in, insanely difficult and a wee bit scary.

The last section, a few weeks ago, was from VT. Rte. 118 to the northern terminus, ie. Canada. That piece of trail was a sloppy mess, extremely wet, slippery and muddy. It took us two full days and two partial days to walk that 30 mile section.

The best LT journal I know of is Jan Leitschuh's journal, "The Ordinary Adventurer." I'm pretty sure I crossed paths with Jan and her hiking partner Clyde on their 2002 LT end-to-end hike.

The post was edited 1 time, last by rafe ().

• From the Green Mountain Club FB page... the Forest Service is now implementing food storage requirements on GMNF land to minimize human/ bear interactions. This of course effects much of the Long Trail.

See below...
      ________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Hikers are now required to use a bear box, bear can, or hang all their food/refuse/etc 12' from the ground and 6' from the tree and branch, and carry out all trash, on Green Mountain National Forest Land. The Long Trail and its side trails from Massachusetts to Route 17 (Appalachian Gap) are mostly on GMNF land. GMC recommends using these food storage methods on the entire trail. Details below.
      --
      Forest Service officials announced July 24th that they are implementing a Forest Order for the entire Green Mountain National Forest (GMNF) geared toward minimizing black bear and human encounters and interactions. The order specifies proper food storage and prohibits leaving food, or refuse on National Forest system lands in Vermont. The Order was issued to provide for visitor safety and the conservation of bears.
      The following acts are prohibited on the Green Mountain National Forest:
      1. Except while being consumed, all food, food containers and refuse shall be stored in a closed motor vehicle or suspended at least twelve (12) feet above the ground and not less than six (6) feet horizontally from any object. Bear boxes and bear canisters designed specifically for food and/or refuse storage are acceptable.
      2. All refuse containing food materials or containers shall be deposited in receptacles provided for that purpose, removed from the Green Mountain National Forest to be disposed of properly, or stored in the manner prescribed for food in #1 above (36 CFR 261.58(cc)).
      More information available in the Order (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Inte…/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd645360.pdf) and Press Release (https://www.greenmountainclub.org/press-releases/). Learn about bear activity and recent developments on the trail at https://www.greenmountainclub.org/problem-bears-or-problem…/. See one method for hanging a bear bag at https://www.greenmountainclub.org/protecting-food-bears/.

U.S. Forest Service - Green Mountain & Finger Lakes National Forests
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

From the Green Mountain Club FB page... the Forest Service is now implementing food storage requirements on GMNF land to minimize human/ bear interactions. This of course effects much of the Long Trail.

See below...
      ________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Hikers are now required to use a bear box, bear can, or hang all their food/refuse/etc 12' from the ground and 6' from the tree and branch, and carry out all trash, on Green Mountain National Forest Land. The Long Trail and its side trails from Massachusetts to Route 17 (Appalachian Gap) are mostly on GMNF land. GMC recommends using these food storage methods on the entire trail. Details below.
      --
      Forest Service officials announced July 24th that they are implementing a Forest Order for the entire Green Mountain National Forest (GMNF) geared toward minimizing black bear and human encounters and interactions. The order specifies proper food storage and prohibits leaving food, or refuse on National Forest system lands in Vermont. The Order was issued to provide for visitor safety and the conservation of bears.
      The following acts are prohibited on the Green Mountain National Forest:
      1. Except while being consumed, all food, food containers and refuse shall be stored in a closed motor vehicle or suspended at least twelve (12) feet above the ground and not less than six (6) feet horizontally from any object. Bear boxes and bear canisters designed specifically for food and/or refuse storage are acceptable.
      2. All refuse containing food materials or containers shall be deposited in receptacles provided for that purpose, removed from the Green Mountain National Forest to be disposed of properly, or stored in the manner prescribed for food in #1 above (36 CFR 261.58(cc)).
      More information available in the Order (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Inte…/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd645360.pdf) and Press Release (https://www.greenmountainclub.org/press-releases/). Learn about bear activity and recent developments on the trail at https://www.greenmountainclub.org/problem-bears-or-problem…/. See one method for hanging a bear bag at https://www.greenmountainclub.org/protecting-food-bears/.

U.S. Forest Service - Green Mountain & Finger Lakes National Forests
      I was debating in my mind in 2021 if I should finish the Long Trail (Maine Junction to Canada) or do the Colorado Trail. I guess this scores a point for the CT (although 3x as long).

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I've been thinking about getting the new Ursack AllMitey bear and rodent proof.
      $135 ??? :S For that price it ought to be able to hang its self. :rolleyes:
      Yep, twice as pricey as a hard BV450 but only about 7 oz I think and so much more packable. And lot less hassle than having to find that perfect limb every evening.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Yep, twice as pricey as a hard BV450 but only about 7 oz I think and so much more packable. And lot less hassle than having to find that perfect limb every evening.
      Good points, and if you have to do it, it makes sense. But still a little initial sticker price shock.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

for that much money it's a shame that it doesn't meet the legal requirements in georgia (and other places) as a bear cannister. maybe they can do whatever testing is necessary and overcome that obstacle.
      2,000 miler
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

This is similar to Awol & the companion. store.greenmountainclub.org/co…ducts/end-to-enders-guide. It lists hostels & has maps of the trail towns. Paired with their map, store.greenmountainclub.org/co…long-trail-map-waterproof should be all you need. The actual Guidebook it kida overkill. Similar to the AT state by state guide.
      Ordered both from Green Mountain Club. Thanks for the quick response Mountain Mike. :thumbup:
    • I just use the GMC guidebook. Does not contain the town information, but I know the area well and it works for section hiking.

Be prepared, the northern half is a bitch!

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LT: Northern Terminus Logistics.

Just getting this out there for anyone who is planning a trip. Much of the info I found online for shuttles around the northern terminus seems a bit out of date. 'Steve Merrill' is frequently mentioned, but he told me he is not doing that anymore. Steve gave me two references, the first was a guy who when I called told me he would not be shuttling in 2020 (Covid).

The person who ultimately shuttled me was Wendy of 'Jay Way Jitney.' Her number is 802-three two three-4252. Wendy said she will shuttle hikers all the way back down to North Adams, MA. Here is their website...

jaywayjitney.com/transport.html

Wendy charged me $50 for a 40 mile ride from North Troy, VT to the trail head at the Rt. 15 LT crossing in Johnson, VT. It was a 1-hour ride with a stop along the way. It was a good ride, she does drive a little fast, and went mask-less which I had no objection to.

If you are looking for a place to leave a car, I left mine in a parking lot next to the North Troy fire station. I stopped by the town hall to let them know, you want to let someone named 'Amy' know. Of course it is several miles from 'Journey's End' back to town. I am not sure about cell coverage there to call for a ride, so you might have to walk out a bit or get lucky with some other hikers getting picked up.

Wendy told me the Journey's End road is a bit washed out this year, so a higher clearance car is recommended if you are going to park there.

John Greenleaf Whittier