Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

LightHeart Gear - tents.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• LightHeart Gear - tents.

lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents

Peak height

43 in / 110 cm

Tent 1lbs 11 ounces

• Rain fly comes down to one inch off the ground.
      • Color: Cranberry tent with Pewter floor, or
      • Pewter tent with Cranberry floor
      • 3500 mm Hydrostatic head 1.1 oz sil-nylon.
      • Roomy 1+ person tent.
      • Fully double walled tent.
      • 3-Season usage.
      • 1 large side entry door with 2-way zipper.
      • Small vestibule to store your boots.
      • Requires seam sealing prior to use.
      • Utilizes trekking poles for setup.
      • Reflective tie out cord.
      • Velcro tabs for ridge pole.
      • Matching stuff sack.
      • Made in America
      I have used other tents like the MSR Hubba Hubba that weighed way too much. Over the past few years I have learned the value of lightening the load.
      Being a skeptical person I have seen other posts and reviews about this tent but the under two pounds and gap between the larger outer layer reaching the ground and keeping your gear dry and seeing the high bucket sides on the inner layer. The ease of set-up is a no brainer, the roominess is just what I was looking for, and the weight, unparalleled. This tent is actually a 1.5 person with sides and no see-um mesh. The set up requires poles and takes advantage of dual use. I know there are other tents that come close - feel free to review them, but if you have this tent and like it... lets keep this on topic.

Here is Terry - and his take.

Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I agree I leave the tarp off on summer nights when using the Hennessy, but the branches of the tree and canopy wont work. So a nice mini tent on the ground can be an advantage in an open field and keeps you bug free. I enjoy setting up on high ground and setting a tent and wearing DWO and getting up at midnight, then sleeping in,
    • I choose videos based on content, and information. Not by who shoots the video.

As for Terry he has realized & admitted, that his videos of the party atmosphere of the AT has caused some backlash and has since adjusted his style. He is popular to some as he appears to have 500+ followers and subscribers. The other odd thing is that he makes being homeless and living the AT life "reasonable." I have found he cant video for a period of time without stopping the camera for a toak or a cigarette. Then later leaves in the video "I cant remember - there ya go- Don't do Drugs"

I wish him well - its not my lifestyle,

Woo
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

I choose videos based on content, and information. Not by who shoots the video.

As for Terry he has realized & admitted, that his videos of the party atmosphere of the AT has caused some backlash and has since adjusted his style. He is popular to some as he appears to have 500+ followers and subscribers. The other odd thing is that he makes being homeless and living the AT life "reasonable." I have found he cant video for a period of time without stopping the camera for a toak or a cigarette. Then later leaves in the video "I cant remember - there ya go- Don't do Drugs"

Woo
      I would probably really like him if I met him. Admittedly, I've only watched one video but have no desire to watch others.

Y'all know how I feel about drones and trail cameras? Being videoed without my consent is also a pet peeve. Being caught in one of his videos could ruin a person's career.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dang, I'm participating in thread drift. 8o

Back on track, I really love my lightheart tent but having a separate rainfly would be nice sometimes. The set up isn't for everyone which is why I advised my daughter to buy a free-standing tent.
      my first couple of tents -- including the tent i thru'd in -- needed to be staked out. every tent since then has been freestanding. for me, the advantages of a freestanding tent easily outweigh the small weight penalty inherent in the design.
      2,000 miler
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

I choose videos based on content, and information. Not by who shoots the video.

Woo
      I would probably really like him if I met him. Admittedly, I've only watched one video but have no desire to watch others.
      Y'all know how I feel about drones and trail cameras? Being videoed without my consent is also a pet peeve. Being caught in one of his videos could ruin a person's career.
      I am guessing he asks first prior to pointing the camera. - Its funny in 2015 many of the people admitted to being between jobs and that may tie in with the observation's of others of thru hikers asking where EBT is accepted in trail towns. I think the party videos were 2014.
    • HB loved his tent. While he was at the Fort he was showing a hiker his tent & zipper broke. Judy mailed him a loaner...about two weeks later HB was still at the Fort when I returned from a show!

As far as Terry's/Seven's vidios; most of the ones I've seen portray thru-hikers as going from hiker feed to hiker feed in towns with safety meeting between. He says he is going to chang how he presents this year.
    • everybody generally loves their gear. we research and then buy based on what we think is gonna be best for our needs. its not like we're consumer reports and we buy a dozen tents/stoves/rain coats/whatever test em all and then keep the one we like best. we generally have no real basis of comparison.

for me, one negative review about an item is more meaningful than ten positive ones.

personally, i certainly wouldn't love a tent if its ziper failed on me after a thousand miles.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Dang, I'm participating in thread drift. 8o

Back on track, I really love my lightheart tent but having a separate rainfly would be nice sometimes. The set up isn't for everyone which is why I advised my daughter to buy a free-standing tent.
      my first couple of tents -- including the tent i thru'd in -- needed to be staked out. every tent since then has been freestanding. for me, the advantages of a freestanding tent easily outweigh the small weight penalty inherent in the design.
      Our 3 season tents (1 for when we go together and 1 for when either of us go solo) are Tarptents that need to be staked out. Even when set up on hard surfaces like tent platforms or large, flat rock faces, or frozen ground in a couple of cases, we've always found ways to set it up using rocks or logs, or backpacks to attach the guy out lines to.
      For winter we like to use a freestanding tent, in fact we're in the market for a new one. It needs to be a 3 person tent as our 90 pound shepherd dog takes up a good bit of room.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

HB loved his tent. While he was at the Fort he was showing a hiker his tent & zipper broke. Judy mailed him a loaner...about two weeks later HB was still at the Fort when I returned from a show!
      There were some zipper issues for a while but I believe it's resolved. Judy's customer service is impeccable.
      Yeah, Judy's service was great. Timing was due to postal sytem (wwekend) & HB getting stuck in the vortex.
    • max.patch wrote:

everybody generally loves their gear. we research and then buy based on what we think is gonna be best for our needs. its not like we're consumer reports and we buy a dozen tents/stoves/rain coats/whatever test em all and then keep the one we like best. we generally have no real basis of comparison.

for me, one negative review about an item is more meaningful than ten positive ones.

personally, i certainly wouldn't love a tent if its ziper failed on me after a thousand miles.
      Not me. I figure there's always one in the crowd who is impossible to please or had a fluke experience.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Every product will at some point have a failure. How a company handles that failure is what is as important as the product itself.

With regard to zipper failure on a tent, I do expect the failure to be addressed, but I won't fault the tent make for a part that was made by another manufacturer.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Ultralight tents are made of fragile materials. You need to consider that when pulling zips etc. It's like putting your socks on. You need to do it carefully and correctly. If you rush putting socks on you can get blisters. Rush a zip and you can damage something.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Ultralight tents are made of fragile materials. You need to consider that when pulling zips etc. It's like putting your socks on. You need to do it carefully and correctly. If you rush putting socks on you can get blisters. Rush a zip and you can damage something.
      I couldn't resist

Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123