Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

First day tomorrow!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rasty wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I was hiding so he wouldn't see me. :) [i][/i]
      I went through the SNP when they had it closed....I made sure I didn't see one...and they didn't see me.
      In October 2013 I was in VA between Pearisburg and Stinking Creek and I ran into a bubble of SOBOs since had closed SNP due the government shut down.
      In Oct of 2013 I may or may not have been hiking on and off with somebody who was making a habit of taking the goverment closure notices that were taped to all of the facilities in the National forests/wilderness areas we were hiking through and keeping them.
      The Croatan National Forest staff took the closure very seriously. They locked the bathroom doors at the parking area on the north end of the Neusiok trail as ordered. They "mistakenly" left the doors open when they locked the dead bolts which were keyed on both sides of the door.
      With five NPs within Utah, the state took the closures seriously due to the local economic impact. State officials went to the effort of getting keys and placing state folks at entrances to open the parks.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • They can't really close acres and acres of undeveloped land. All the government can do is stop providing services. And if you don't need those services to begin with they've got no sway over you unless they want to give you a summons for trespassing or some other such nonsense. Some years ago Kathy and I decided to go spend a 1 nighter in a state park in NJ. Our plan was to hike the trails in the park and spend the night in the AT shelter that's in the park. We pulled into the parking lot and I went into the ranger station to see if I could park there overnight. I was told that overnight parking was only for those hiking the AT. I was honest and told the ranger that we were going to hike the other trails as we'd already done the AT in New Jersey. At that I was told we could not park the car in the park. We got out our map and drove around to an undeveloped part of the park, parked our car there, and spent 2 days having a grand time. Don't cha know, just as we got back to our car, on the second day, a ranger jeep pulls up and it's the same guy as the day before. After he read us the riot act, and threatened to give us a summons, he told us that if we ever do something like that in the future to park on the road leading to the park and not on the park property. That way we wouldn't be trespassing and they wouldn't care how long the car was there.
    • LIhikers wrote:

They can't really close acres and acres of undeveloped land. All the government can do is stop providing services. And if you don't need those services to begin with they've got no sway over you unless they want to give you a summons for trespassing or some other such nonsense.
      I have seen it reported - and I can't vouch for accuracy, I don't trust the source - that law enforcement expense in the national parks went up during the government shutdown, attributable to the increased activity issuing summons and expelling trespassers. Rangers were 'essential personnel' and not furloughed during the impasse.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.