Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

First day tomorrow!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OzJacko wrote:

I chided him at Trail Days in 2013 that his entire book is about the pain he felt.
      I did enjoy the bit where he went to a doctor with a badly infected heel and the doctor told him that he should stay off of it for at least a month, but knowing that he was a hiker the doctor asked if he could honestly promise to keep off of it for a week. ?(
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I chided him at Trail Days in 2013 that his entire book is about the pain he felt.
      I did enjoy the bit where he went to a doctor with a badly infected heel and the doctor told him that he should stay off of it for at least a month, but knowing that he was a hiker the doctor asked if he could honestly promise to keep off of it for a week. ?(
      That was like the doctor at Stonewall Jackson Hospital in Lexington, VA who X-Rayed my shoulder in the emergency room. He said nothing is broken, but you either pulled or tore something in your shoulder, and would need to see an Orthopedic Surgeon to know which. He then looked at me and said you want to keep hiking don't you. I said yeah, so he gave me a sling and a prescription for some painkillers (unfortunately only 3 days). So after a quick stop at the drug store, I headed back on the AT and did 8 more miles that day.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Perhaps that is why I could relate too it so well.
      Pain or not, he finished his thru, just as I will my section hike (hopefully in 2017).
      In my humble opinion, from what I have read about your backpacking style/technique, there is a BIG difference between you and the other backpacker. He never seemed to learn from his mishaps/errors in judgment, etc.. You, on the other hand, have gone about your backpacking in a much more intelligent manner.

Class (and intelligence) will tell.
    • Trillium wrote:

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Perhaps that is why I could relate too it so well.Pain or not, he finished his thru, just as I will my section hike (hopefully in 2017).
      In my humble opinion, from what I have read about your backpacking style/technique, there is a BIG difference between you and the other backpacker. He never seemed to learn from his mishaps/errors in judgment, etc.. You, on the other hand, have gone about your backpacking in a much more intelligent manner.
      Class (and intelligence) will tell.
      Thanks for the kind words. :)
    • well lookie what showed up in my inbox this morning from the ATC southern regional office.

Ridgerunner Season is Here
      [IMG:https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/UvLWNdfSGEKRcz1HviGbWxgOqttbyCE_PnNwjxcvw3t4NeV6s4LyhIquaIkRDnc4SuoBQO6AM01TpSksb9WQJIePjHBYRgAjwkLhi0p40vghyUSFPYNC3jBT2pLznnYZZXkH93v096Qcl0LB-DDORn3x96TucPDRF0GD70M=s0-d-e1-ft#https://gallery.mailchimp.com/64f18e8ab0289e37511640181/images/b7501ff8-cba9-4729-a863-3b7f0d461b8a.jpg]Ridgerunners in Georgia and in the Great Smoky Mountains have started their patrols. We're lucky to have a passionate cadre of on-Trail educators. This year, we increased our staffing emphasis in Georgia, delivered top-notch training that also included Trail Ambassadors from clubs, and refined our reporting process. We hope all of these combined efforts will make a lasting impact on all the A.T. visitors they encounter.

Please welcome Bill Bryant, Leigh Rothermel, Allyson Hester, Gus Parrish, and Kenneth Harrison to their posts in Georgia. In the Smokies, ATC is grateful to have returning ridgerunners Carl Goodman and Maury Hudson as well as the newest addition of Chloë de Camara.
      2,000 miler
    • I ran into Leigh yesterday. She was literally running back and forth between Springer and Stover shelters. Talked with her for a bit at Stover. Seemed like a great girl.
      She said it was your Friday and would be leaving soon. Maybe next time I'll have time to stop in and say hello.
      RIAP

The post was edited 1 time, last by Trebor ().

• max.patch wrote:

well lookie what showed up in my inbox this morning from the ATC southern regional office.

[IMG:https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/UvLWNdfSGEKRcz1HviGbWxgOqttbyCE_PnNwjxcvw3t4NeV6s4LyhIquaIkRDnc4SuoBQO6AM01TpSksb9WQJIePjHBYRgAjwkLhi0p40vghyUSFPYNC3jBT2pLznnYZZXkH93v096Qcl0LB-DDORn3x96TucPDRF0GD70M=s0-d-e1-ft#https://gallery.mailchimp.com/64f18e8ab0289e37511640181/images/b7501ff8-cba9-4729-a863-3b7f0d461b8a.jpg]Ridgerunners in Georgia and in the Great Smoky Mountains have started their patrols. We're lucky to have a passionate cadre of on-Trail educators. This year, we increased our staffing emphasis in Georgia, delivered top-notch training that also included Trail Ambassadors from clubs, and refined our reporting process. We hope all of these combined efforts will make a lasting impact on all the A.T. visitors they encounter.

Please welcome Bill Bryant, Leigh Rothermel, Allyson Hester, Gus Parrish, and Kenneth Harrison to their posts in Georgia. In the Smokies, ATC is grateful to have returning ridgerunners Carl Goodman and Maury Hudson as well as the newest addition of Chloë de Camara.
      There is our TW-Clarity right in the center, representing the Cafe extremely well! :thumbup:

And just think, we knew her before she was famous. ;)
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

well lookie what showed up in my inbox this morning from the ATC southern regional office.

There is our TW-Clarity right in the center, representing the Cafe extremely well! :thumbup:
      I really like that smile TW.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • max.patch wrote:

Oh that's pretty damn cool! Thanks for sharing!

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Ridgerunners in Georgia and in the Great Smoky Mountains have started their patrols. We're lucky to have a passionate cadre of on-Trail educators. This year, we increased our staffing emphasis in Georgia, delivered top-notch training that also included Trail Ambassadors from clubs, and refined our reporting process. We hope all of these combined efforts will make a lasting impact on all the A.T. visitors they encounter.

lol! :P Proud to represent our cafe! You guys were there from the start when I planned to carry two headlamps, wondered about whether to wear shoes or boots, and feared bear attacks. ;) It's been fun taking you guys along with me for the journey!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Trebor wrote:

I ran into Leigh yesterday. She was literally running back and forth between Springer and Stover shelters. Talked with her for a bit at Stover. Seemed like a great girl.
      She said it was your Friday and would be leaving soon. Maybe next time I'll have time to stop in and say hello.
      Leigh's awesome! She and I met once in NY while I was on my thru and both ended up ridgerunning in the same area! The A.T. is a small, small two dimensional world.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Ridgerunners in Georgia and in the Great Smoky Mountains have started their patrols. We're lucky to have a passionate cadre of on-Trail educators. This year, we increased our staffing emphasis in Georgia, delivered top-notch training that also included Trail Ambassadors from clubs, and refined our reporting process. We hope all of these combined efforts will make a lasting impact on all the A.T. visitors they encounter.

There is our TW-Clarity right in the center, representing the Cafe extremely well! :thumbup: And just think, we knew her before she was famous. ;)
      lol! :P Proud to represent our cafe! You guys were there from the start when I planned to carry two headlamps, wondered about whether to wear shoes or boots, and feared bear attacks. ;) It's been fun taking you guys along with me for the journey!
      Hold on a second. I carry two headlamps. Only one strap. I've had a headlamp switch break and with the amount of night hiking I do a backup light is important.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

There is our TW-Clarity right in the center, representing the Cafe extremely well! :thumbup: And just think, we knew her before she was famous. ;)
      Hold on a second. I carry two headlamps. Only one strap. I've had a headlamp switch break and with the amount of night hiking I do a backup light is important.
      Before you guys made fun of me for that (kidding...sorta ;) ), I had the same train of thought. I still think it's important to carry backup bulbs/batteries, so in essence, might as well carry a 2nd light source since it will probably weigh about the same. I actually got around it by carrying a powerbank to charge my phone that had a small flashllight on it and using my phone itself as a light. With my headlamp, that made 3 light sources.

• max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

1100+ miles on the AT and I have yet to see a ridge runner or a ranger on the trail.
      come to georgia now and hike from the approach trail to woody gap and it'd probably be impossible NOT to see one.
      I hiked from Springer to the NOC in 2013 and didn't see one. Of course it was pouring buckets of rain for a few days and I had my head down trudging along, so I could have passed one and not known it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

1100+ miles on the AT and I have yet to see a ridge runner or a ranger on the trail.
      come to georgia now and hike from the approach trail to woody gap and it'd probably be impossible NOT to see one.
      I hiked from Springer to the NOC in 2013 and didn't see one. Of course it was pouring buckets of rain for a few days and I had my head down trudging along, so I could have passed one and not known it.
      i don't remember where i read this, but 5 in georgia this year. amicalola falls, springer, hawk mountain shelter/campsites, gooch shelter, and another one just walking around somewhere. thats what i remember, anyway.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Yup!

jimmyjam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

This year there are five of us in 75 miles. So yeah, would be hard to miss us this season...unless you come by on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. ;)

max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

i don't remember where i read this, but 5 in georgia this year. amicalola falls, springer, hawk mountain shelter/campsites, gooch shelter, and another one just walking around somewhere. thats what i remember, anyway.
      Possibly read that from one of my posts. But yes, you are right. Our roving guy, Bill, is located north of Neel's Gap.

• Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I was hiding so he wouldn't see me. :) [i][/i]
      I went through the SNP when they had it closed....I made sure I didn't see one...and they didn't see me.
      In October 2013 I was in VA between Pearisburg and Stinking Creek and I ran into a bubble of SOBOs since had closed SNP due the government shut down.
    • Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I went through the SNP when they had it closed....I made sure I didn't see one...and they didn't see me.
      In October 2013 I was in VA between Pearisburg and Stinking Creek and I ran into a bubble of SOBOs since had closed SNP due the government shut down.
      In Oct of 2013 I may or may not have been hiking on and off with somebody who was making a habit of taking the goverment closure notices that were taped to all of the facilities in the National forests/wilderness areas we were hiking through and keeping them.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • rafe wrote:

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Perhaps that is why I could relate too it so well.Pain or not, he finished his thru, just as I will my section hike (hopefully in 2017).
      Must have missed something... who the heck are you guys talking about?
      AWOL (David Miller)
    • Astro wrote:

rafe wrote:

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Must have missed something... who the heck are you guys talking about?
      AWOL (David Miller)
      Ah. Gotcha. Now I can relate. Of the many AT books I've read, his was certainly not my favorite. A bit too "driven" for my taste. Not enough slack, if you know what I mean.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

In Oct of 2013 I may or may not have been hiking on and off with somebody who was making a habit of taking the goverment closure notices that were taped to all of the facilities in the National forests/wilderness areas we were hiking through and keeping them.
      The Croatan National Forest staff took the closure very seriously. They locked the bathroom doors at the parking area on the north end of the Neusiok trail as ordered. They "mistakenly" left the doors open when they locked the dead bolts which were keyed on both sides of the door.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • at kennesaw mountain they locked the small parking lot next to the visitor center but kept all the other parking lots open. (even if they had been locked there are plenty of unoffical access points that regulars know about)

the first couple days a ranger was near the trails that start next to the visitor center. he wasn't stopping anyone from entering, was just advising people that they were hiking at their own risk becasue no one could provide assistance if necessary.
      2,000 miler
    • Rasty wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

The Croatan National Forest staff took the closure very seriously. They locked the bathroom doors at the parking area on the north end of the Neusiok trail as ordered. They "mistakenly" left the doors open when they locked the dead bolts which were keyed on both sides of the door.
      There are roadside bathrooms that the trail crosses by somewhere between Springer and Neels gap (I can't recall exactly where offhand) I really wish they had done the same to those bathrooms. Instead the doors were all locked and everyone using the car rest area just walked downhill and pissed/crapped next to the stream that was the marked watersource for the area. Smile017 The TP roses were in full bloom for a quarter mile up and down the banks of the creek.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

There are roadside bathrooms that the trail crosses by somewhere between Springer and Neels gap (I can't recall exactly where offhand) I really wish they had done the same to those bathrooms. Instead the doors were all locked and everyone using the car rest area just walked downhill and pissed/crapped next to the stream that was the marked watersource for the area. Smile017 The TP roses were in full bloom for a quarter mile up and down the banks of the creek.
      Sounds like that would have been Woody Gap.