Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

More questions about Amicalola SP

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mountain-Mike wrote:

When planning a hike in the Pemi Wilderness I was looking at a topo map & it didn't seem right. Then I noticed the "Kank" (Kancamagus Hwy, Rt 112) wasn't on it. The map was last updated in the 40's
      That's why I keep badgering people to snag GPS tracks and waypoints and contribute to OpenStreetMap.org. Producing well-curated, field-surveyed topographic maps hasn't been in the USGS's mission since the first Bush administration. Apparently, the price of having good maps is more than the taxpayers can bear. The government maps ain't never going to be updated, so it's up to citizen-mappers to do it.

You can start small. Take a look at your neighborhood, zoomed in. Are all the fire hydrants there? I bet that the local fire company doesn't have a map of them, either! How about the local parks, are they shown? What about the trail where you go for a quick stroll on Saturdays? Is it on the map? Are your local firehouse, police station, hospital, schools, churches shown? This is how maps get made nowadays!

Example: My fun project last weekend was caltopo.com/l/P076 - another one of the little nature preserves in the Helderberg mountains is now on the map. That means that over the next few months it will be on a lot of people's electronic maps, since lots of publishers use the data. I've done a bunch of these preserves, since I can gather the data while I'm out for a few hours to get some fresh air. caltopo.com/l/56N4 shows three of them (if you have a small screen, you might need to zoom out to see all three).

No time, really, for a fun project like that this weekend. It's been a hectic week, and I've got other stuff to do.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Lets see if I understand. I go hiking with a gps app, make a set of waypoints, along with start and end. Upload them to openstreetmap.org and/or caltopo ? Of course, name them so they get placed correctly.

What did I leave out ?

edit:

Oh, and I checked Cheaha at caltopo, but there were no exportable points. It shows a better map than the NFS topo map. Is there a way to get this map as a download ?
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • twistwrist wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

My daughter and I are very excited about her hike. She decided to carry my old Gregory pack because she likes the brain. She bought the gut hooks app and has a few more things to get. The mom in me is slightly worried but I know there will be people on trail to look out for her.

Honestly, my biggest worry is her driving to Amicalola after dropping me off. I'm afraid she's going to get lost.

I would rather she skip the Approach trail but I want the car parked in the safest place. How easy is it to hitch to Springer?
      The car is safe at Amicalola. we've had no break-ins that I'm aware of. GPS is pretty good and there are signs leading to the park once she gets close. Hitching to Springer isn't easy, but I could drive her after my shift for the cost of gas. Shuttles charge $90 from AFSP to Springer.

TrafficJam wrote:

Is there a bathhouse at Amicalola SP?

Will there be a bathroom open if it's after hours?

Is the campground close by?
      There is a bathhouse near the Visitors Center and yes, the bathrooms are open all night. The campground is 3/4 of a mile up the mountain once you're in the park, but they charge $40 per night to rent a spot I think. The Max Epperson Shelter behind the visitors center is free. :) Let me know how I can help!
      Thanks for the offer and the info...I'll put shower supplies in the car. The easiest plan is for her to hike the approach trail. I will try to find you when I get there but it may be on your day off.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Lets see if I understand. I go hiking with a gps app, make a set of waypoints, along with start and end. Upload them to openstreetmap.org and/or caltopo ? Of course, name them so they get placed correctly.

What did I leave out ?

edit:

Oh, and I checked Cheaha at caltopo, but there were no exportable points. It shows a better map than the NFS topo map. Is there a way to get this map as a download ?
      Better to turn on track recording and make a continuous track. Add waypoints for things like shelters, campsites, privies, ...

If you just upload the track, nothing will happen (unless you do something like send me an email with the track ID). But once you have a track, I can help you, even remotely, with the first attempts at editing OSM. It's not really hard to get the hang of.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

My daughter and I are very excited about her hike. She decided to carry my old Gregory pack because she likes the brain. She bought the gut hooks app and has a few more things to get. The mom in me is slightly worried but I know there will be people on trail to look out for her.

Honestly, my biggest worry is her driving to Amicalola after dropping me off. I'm afraid she's going to get lost.

I would rather she skip the Approach trail but I want the car parked in the safest place. How easy is it to hitch to Springer?
      The car is safe at Amicalola. we've had no break-ins that I'm aware of. GPS is pretty good and there are signs leading to the park once she gets close. Hitching to Springer isn't easy, but I could drive her after my shift for the cost of gas. Shuttles charge $90 from AFSP to Springer.

TrafficJam wrote:

There is a bathhouse near the Visitors Center and yes, the bathrooms are open all night. The campground is 3/4 of a mile up the mountain once you're in the park, but they charge $40 per night to rent a spot I think. The Max Epperson Shelter behind the visitors center is free. :) Let me know how I can help!
      Thanks for the offer and the info...I'll put shower supplies in the car. The easiest plan is for her to hike the approach trail. I will try to find you when I get there but it may be on your day off.
      I hope I don't miss you! I'm usually off Tuesdays and Wednesdays, but the 2nd week is May is a weird schedule. I'll be off Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday because of the ATC Gala in DC. Then I'll work Friday but will be off Saturday for my sister's graduation. Remind me which day you'll be around.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I hope I don't miss you! I'm usually off Tuesdays and Wednesdays, but the 2nd week is May is a weird schedule. I'll be off Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday because of the ATC Gala in DC. Then I'll work Friday but will be off Saturday for my sister's graduation. Remind me which day you'll be around.
      I'll let you know closer to departure time...plans are still in the works...
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

When planning a hike in the Pemi Wilderness I was looking at a topo map & it didn't seem right. Then I noticed the "Kank" (Kancamagus Hwy, Rt 112) wasn't on it. The map was last updated in the 40's
      A while back I was in several countries within central Africa. The folks I traveled with were using maps developed by the Italians and British in the mid-30s. They are surprisingly accurate.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • TrafficJam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

My shower supplies are limited to a gallon jug of sun warmed water and a dab of Bonners.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Trebor wrote:

Depending on the date and time I may be able to help yall out with a ride from AFSP to Springer. Send me a PM with the details if interested.
      I'll get your phone number for sure in case we have problems. Date and time is still unknown...want to start on a day with no thunderstorms so I'll be watching the weather.
    • I hope to make it to Amicalola SP some day.
      We're working on a plan for the AT that calls for us to finish the northern half by the time I retire and then do the southern half as one journey.
      The mid-point is Harper's Ferry.
      At the rate we're doing Maine I'm either going to have to delay retirement or see if I can get a long summer vacation for the next couple of years.
    • Trebor wrote:

Depending on the date and time I may be able to help yall out with a ride from AFSP to Springer. Send me a PM with the details if interested.
      Having been involved with hiking communities in several countries, I'm always impressed with willing folks stepping forth to offer assistance.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Having been involved with hiking communities in several countries, I'm always impressed with willing folks stepping forth to offer assistance.
      I agree. But we need to remember to always be cautious when meeting people.