Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Cooking Pasta at home and then drying it for the trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cooking Pasta at home and then drying it for the trail

So information came up that changed my mind about some things about food prep - I mistook the information as a way to save time or fuel on the trail... Clearly its about taste.

Bear this video out I think its spot on. The Angel Hair the remaining water could be dumped and replaced and It would still work.

TJ wrote on another thread (I am Breaking it out)
      I tried Barilla Pronto spaghetti this week. It's an interesting pasta in that it absorbs water rather than cooking in water and draining.
      CLICK
      I cooked this at home and didn't like it. I followed the directions and watched it carefully but at 8 min, the water was completely absorbed and the pasta started sticking to the skillet. It tasted overcooked and slightly mushy, even though it wasn't cooked the full 10 min.
      I think it still has interesting trail possibilities but I wouldn't choose it over angle hair pasta or Annie Chun rice noodles.

TJ - I am going to try Barilla Pronto spaghetti at home and give it a Marinara shot. Maybe you went too long or I don't know - maybe practice with it.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I saw an article somewhere a few months ago about cooking pasta (don't recall where). The claim was that when you cook pasta, it only takes a minute for the actual cooking. Most of the time is spent rehydrating. The alternate method that was developed was to rehydrate the pasta by soaking in cold water. Once rehydrated, it can be cooked with superior results with just a minute of boiling. This came from a food science field but there was some thought that it could have some applications for backpackers.
    • I use a similar method for rice and/or beans. Pre soaking a few hours prior to mealtime results in a reduced boil time. Imagine this technique will work for pasta.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • JimBlue wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

I use a similar method for rice and/or beans. Pre soaking a few hours prior to mealtime results in a reduced boil time. Imagine this technique will work for pasta.
      Sounds interesting. I'll look into it for later this year.
      I made chicken rice soup this afternoon and presoaked the brown rice for two hours prior to adding it to the crockpot. After about 10 minutes, the soup was ready to slurp.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Deanna and I picked up Barrilla Pronto pasta almost angel hair, and mac and cheese shells for home attempts. So in the next couple of days we will run a few trys to get it right.

On a side note I have the gravel down pat.

I have posted in the past converting Sauce to fruit roll ups to become FBC,,, so we are clearly going Italian for 1 meal on the trail.

I understand this is covered before - I am looking to make it more tasty.
    • socks wrote:

In a baggy I suppose. I like TP Walters method of making the whole thing, pasta and sauce, and then drying the whole shootin' match to then rehydrate on trail.
      The new pasta would not need drying... just the meat and "Italian Gravy" as spoken in Philadelphia other places call it sauce. I am looking for time savers that deliver better quality flavored food. Sock's its a work in progress - right now I am working on GPS and Backpacking Video right now.
    • Oh ya want flavor? Ok, bring

1 medium size egg
      1 1/4 cup semolina flour
      2 Tbs. Water
      Mix the egg with one cup flour in baggy by the "no messy hands" squishy method, ka-need it into a ball for about five-8 min (ya may need to add an additional tsp. of water depending on weather conditons) let sit coverd for 20 min. Don't skip the ka-needing/or resting, very important sciencey stuff. Using the additional flour as needed, Smash flat and roll with a smooth stick to a thickness of about 3/32 no more than 1/8" (stick =small wooden dowel you fashioned or brought) cut into 3/16" strips, cooks alldoneh' in 3 to 5 mins. Add gravy or olive oil or butter, thru-hikers will water at the mouth and you'll be king mucky muck. Bone appetite!

Footnote, stick with the kneeding, it will look dry and hopeless, but it will come together.

The post was edited 7 times, last by Socks ().