Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

It's Only a Matter of Time, Or is it?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Manatees! Yes, snorkeled with them at the Three Sisters Spring, Crystal River last winter. It was great, the kids loved it.

Visiting any of the Springs is great fun. Florida has a lot of natural beauty, go where the Floridians go.

I enjoy the Everglades, but it might not be for everyone. Don't go there in the summer time, the mosquitos will tear you apart.

Something I have always wanted to do but have not gotten around to yet is the Everglades Wilderness Waterway. This would be a week long paddle trip through the Everglade wilderness. You sleep on 'chickees.' Here is more info...

nps.gov/ever/upload/Wilderness_Trip_Planner_2009.pdf
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

for most thru-hikers it is
      I suppose you're right.....get to the next camp spot before dark.
      That's because most of the fools never figure out how wonderful night hiking is. ;)
      What is so wonderful about night hiking?
      I usually only do it when I am trying to get a head start in the morning or it ends up taking me longer than expected in the evening.
      Well for starters its not a timed event. But until you do it, perhaps you are missing something - perhaps a good time or a survival skill.

Here is my take on night hiking... I ran into a "unexpected event" in the pine barrens where it was clearly too cold for Rugby.. about 1 or 2AM the temps dropped below 32° even though there was no snow or anything. He wimpered way too much, he would not stay on the pad or under the "wrap" - no clouds and a full moon. So I took a look and it was 7+miles back to the car. So as long as he is moving and I we were warm. I packed the hammock and we "bugged out." The faster we moved the warmer we were. Rugby was very happy to move and not complain. We got back to the car I heated it by running the engine and woke up around 6-7AM apparently it was much colder in the teens. But the night hike was memorable - the owls hooted and the other animals coughed - and the low in the sky moon made much of the trip in the woods reasonable. This was a confidence builder.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • JimBlue wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

do snakes eyes glow in the dark like other critters?
      Cat eyes reflect so their eyes can gather more light, as they are night hunters.
      Snakes don't need it as they are scent hunters and can see part way into the infrared/heat part of the visible spectrum.
      "Cat eyes reflect to gather more light." Hmmm. The reflection we see is exactly the light that doesn't make it to the cat's retina. So how does that help the cat? EDIT: Ok I looked it up. the reflecting layer is behind the cat's retina. Wow, learned something new just now.
    • max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

That's because most of the fools never figure out how wonderful night hiking is. ;)
      What is so wonderful about night hiking?I usually only do it when I am trying to get a head start in the morning or it ends up taking me longer than expected in the evening.
      night hiking is inefficient; your mph is reduced making it a poor use of time.
      Are you by chance an industrial engineer?
      cpa; my opinion is anecdotal based on personal experience and not from a textbook. although i'm sure an engineer would agree. :)
      I frequently night hike with an engineer, he enjoys it as well.

I suspect that the flaw in your theory is that you are incorrectly using distance as the metric to gauge efficiency. The Enjoyment itself is in fact the operative metric.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • rafe wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

I've night hiked in the Rainforests of Costa Rica. Trust me, the snakes are out at night! Never saw their eyes glow, but the spiders.... Millions of glowing spider eyes were staring back at me.

Oh, and if you are into glowing eyes... check out the gators in the Everglades at night. Yikes!
      What's good to see in Florida? Ignoring all the Disney and theme-park crap.
      Grandkids
      Images
      • 10985930_10203905652474912_1231936545239343763_n.jpg

88.12 kB, 399×600, viewed 230 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

rafe wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

I've night hiked in the Rainforests of Costa Rica. Trust me, the snakes are out at night! Never saw their eyes glow, but the spiders.... Millions of glowing spider eyes were staring back at me.

Oh, and if you are into glowing eyes... check out the gators in the Everglades at night. Yikes!
      What's good to see in Florida? Ignoring all the Disney and theme-park crap.
      Grandkids
      And granddog.
      Images
      • 3dogs9.JPG

112.76 kB, 640×480, viewed 245 times
    • If you spend months hanging out in the woods and don't come away with a deeper understanding and appreciation of nature, you miss something important. If you walk at night, you probably miss things you would notice in daylight, but you might see something nocturnal if you are lucky. So far, I have not. I would like to go back and see Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park in daylight.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

What is so wonderful about night hiking?
      I usually only do it when I am trying to get a head start in the morning or it ends up taking me longer than expected in the evening.
      I enjoy night hiking due to usually lower temps, far less folks on popular trails, and as an extension of hours available to hike. Typically I prefer solo night hiking unless the accompanying partner is known for extreme light discipline. Having a nearly full moon during a night hike is a memorable event.

However as a previous poster wrote, daylight hiking allows for a fuller appreciation of a trail's wonders.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • My favorite "day" hike was a 9 mile night hike with torrential rain in the Dugger Mt. wilderness, had been raining for several days, 6" streams became 5' streams with fast moving water...it was different and not boring.
      Images
      • 600_256787322.jpeg

59.92 kB, 600×450, viewed 218 times
      • 600_256787592.jpeg

108.01 kB, 600×450, viewed 218 times
      • 600_258384862.jpeg

93.73 kB, 600×450, viewed 219 times
      • 600_258385712.jpeg

39.24 kB, 600×450, viewed 209 times
      • 600_256787082.jpeg

61.57 kB, 600×450, viewed 212 times
    • max.patch wrote:

while the internet troublemakers succeeded in stirring up the forums, they created a real world problem. well meaning people would actually call and write the atc and ask those same questions as they honestly did not want to void their status as thru hikers. the atc did not want to be put in the position of telling one person that their 4 days off was ok and tell the next that their 5 days off was not. so they added the calendar year caveat (note-without looking i do not recall if the atc said "calendar year" or just "year". i have used calendar year in my response as that is what you referrred to).
      Possibly the best post I've ever read. I've tried to explain this in the past however you have blown mine out of the water.
      I've always wondered (not) if you get to hike for 366 days and still be a cyber thru if it's a leap year.
      The other one i liked (not) is the whole slack pack weirdness. Cyber thrus seem to want a pack weight minimum.

I also like the thread drift in this one, to night hiking and then to snakes, fabulous.
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

I think I hike faster and more efficient at night. Probably because with a head lamp you have more tunnel vision. Not taking in whats around you and just focussing on the path thats illuminated in front of you. No distractions.
      I think it's an illusion. It seems like I bike and run faster when it's dark and when it's light, I feel very slow. I have nothing to support this theory but it interests me.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

I think I hike faster and more efficient at night. Probably because with a head lamp you have more tunnel vision. Not taking in whats around you and just focussing on the path thats illuminated in front of you. No distractions.
      I think it's an illusion. It seems like I bike and run faster when it's dark and when it's light, I feel very slow. I have nothing to support this theory but it interests me.
      Perhaps fear of the unknown is a motivator.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • TrafficJam wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

It's the thought of what might be in the dark that motivates you.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

It's the thought of what might be in the dark that motivates you.
      What might be in the dark is why I'm out in the dark.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Got a short night hike planned for Friday night to Blue Mountain Shelter (2.1 miles)on the Pinhoti, continue on Saturday and Sunday. The shelter at Blue Mountain is a little unique, has a second level and "runways" on the sides entering for cooking and such.
    • Drybones wrote:

Got a short night hike planned for Friday night to Blue Mountain Shelter (2.1 miles)on the Pinhoti, continue on Saturday and Sunday. The shelter at Blue Mountain is a little unique, has a second level and "runways" on the sides entering for cooking and such.

Oh, I thought you were going to say there were runways for the mice.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

When I was running regularly, I had a similar thought. However when biking at night, I'm slower as I don't want to ride beyond the bike light In the event I need to swerve or suddenly stop.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC