Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

How To Build Endurance or Who Needs a Lift?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Drybones wrote:

I use the treadmill first thing as a warm up at gym, I'm still rehabbing the knee so I'm gradually increasing speed, now set speed on 3.5 mph and incline on 2 degrees and increase degrees by one every minute, by the time I reach 10 degrees it starts getting warm.
      While in rehab for a leg injury, the fitness center was the gold standard for objectively measuring recovery. However upon release, never looked back.

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

To get ready for climbing stairs at Amicalola SP, I tried out the stairmaster at my gym. Wow, that thing gets you sweating in no time.

First I ran a mile on the dreadmill to warm up then did 30 min on the stairmaster. I went pretty slow, alternating between 60-80 steps/min. I don't know how accurate the simulation is but I hope it'll make climbing a little easier.
      You're good-to-go.
      I'm not so sure, it's different with a 20lb pack. :)

Next time I'm going to wear a weighted day pack. And I don't believe in the accuracy of those machines. Today it said I had around 850' elevation gain.
      I recall TW writing about donning a backpack while utilizing the stair climber.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • OzJacko wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I thought what Americans call an elevator is otherwise known as a lift. Is it that way with escalators as well?

WanderingStovie wrote:

I thought what Americans call an elevator is otherwise known as a lift. Is it that way with escalators as well?
      No. We call elevators lifts but elevator is acceptable (so much US tv). Escalators are escalators.One of my pet hates is how an escalator saps the ability to move their legs from most people. You're walking behind a healthy 20 something who walks briskly to an escalator and stops dead when they step on it, crawling up at less than 1mph.Etiquette here expects people who do that to keep to the left to allow others to walk past. Like most etiquette not always adhered to, especially by the young.
      In Manhattan the escalator etiquitte of stay Righ to stand and stay Left to walk is taken very seriously. Standing still on the left side or the middle of a busy escallator puts one at immediate risk if being shoved out of the way.
      On a similar note...IM and I had to get used to passing oncoming hikers on the right on the AT. It was harder than driving on the right which I felt that I adapted to pretty easily.
      When my friend Plethodon walked the Bib in 2014, he had the reverse. We kept stressing to him to look both ways before commencing to cross a road. He confessed that at one small town it was almost his undoing.
      First day I was in London, I exited the tube at Victoria and walked to the curb. Looked left, stepped out, and was just missed by a lorry coming from the right.

A few days later I witnessed a tourist whom was not missed under similar circumstances. Pronounced at the scene.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC