Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Planning the AT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Planning the AT

Hello all, I am brand new to this forum..
      But glad I made my way here.
      I've dreamt of walking the AT for quiet some time now.
      But I've never really done any long distance (months hiking) before.
      So I am novice to the living on the trail. So my questions to you would be advice, what I'll need, how to prepare and what to know about the AT and accomplishing it.

I truly appreciate all the advice a head of time and will take all criticism and advice.
    • xDUMBOx wrote:

So I am novice to the living on the trail. So my questions to you would be advice, what I'll need, how to prepare and what to know about the AT and accomplishing it.

I truly appreciate all the advice a head of time and will take all criticism and advice.
      A couple of points that I hope encourage you.
      Firstly there is no one post that will answer all your queries particularly as you will have a hundred more.
      The things you absolutely need.
      1. About 6 months that you can cut from all the rest of your life. No work commitment, no home life demands, no financial barriers.
      2. At least three or four thousand dollars. More realistically about ten.
      3. The desire to do it. This will often dissipate during your hike. Don't let this concern you. It may cause you to not complete a thruhike but it will still have helped you learn about you. We are often not what we think we are.
      4. Two legs are helpful but it has recently been proven that this is not a necessity. I state this to allay your fears over whether you can physically do it. If you can walk and have enough desire (see point 3) you will be able to.
      5. This is probably the least necessary. Get yourself some experience. Spend some nights in the woods. Walk some miles up and down hills. You will need a backpack, a shelter, a sleeping bag and a set or two of clothes that suit the weather. You will want a sleeping mat and (usually) a way of cooking food (some eat cold food only).
      Experience and observation of others will show you what types of gear suit you (and your budget). You should aim for no more than 35lbs on your back but don't fret about getting sub 30. Once you're under 40lbs further gains in weight loss in your pack should be based on you learning what you can do without and where your dollars are best spent in getting lighter gear.

My last tip is relax and roll with it. You will get lots of conflicting advice mostly well intentioned. It's your hike. It's your leisure time. Enjoy it your way.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • okay, thank you so much for this. This is what I needed. I have all my gear (mostly) just need the mat and a little burner for food. But over all I have my gear already. My biggest concern is obviously the money. Lol. I wish to have a budget that big. But my budget is nowhere near that amount. But I can try to make it work. I'm starting to back pack and stay over night with my hikes. To get prepared. I also need a new pair of boots, seeing as my current ones have seeb better days.
      But this was extremely helpful and in definitely going to take it all down.
    • xDUMBOx, first welcome to the Cafe! Lot of information and humor can be found here (with less drama found some other places). :)

Oz gives some excellent advice, as is the TW-Clarity link provided by Foresight.

While Oz's point 5 may not be necessary, it really was helpful for me. Since I have four children and have not been able to justify taking the time do a thru hike yet, I have been section hiking the AT (1448 miles down, 751 to go, plan to finish in 2017) and several other trails closer to home and learned a lot. I started out with a 35 pound base weight and carrying around 50. Now I am down to a base weight of 15 and usually around 18-30 pounds total. The point being you can learn a lot about what you need and don't and where it makes sense to invest for lighter and better gear. Advice from others is great, but at some point you have to determine what actually works for you (so you can HYOH - Hike Your Own Hike).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I saw too many hikes ruined or cut short for budget issues.
      There are many ways to do it cutting as much cost as possible but most impact on the experience. For a budget hike the main key is to avoid towns. This is VERY hard.
      I seriously recommend a half AT for someone with a seriously tight budget.
      And I would recommend starting in Damascus Virginia the week before Trail Days. You avoid the expense of Trail Days, are sort of in a quiet bit of the "bubble" for a few days while you get your legs. The hiking is easier and you might even make Katahdin if you manage your budget.
      You then fit Springer to Damascus in to a portion of your life when you have the time and money. Walking from Damascus all the way to Katahdin you will have done enough to feel total satisfaction on top of Katahdin.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • xDUMBOx wrote:

okay, thank you so much for this. This is what I needed. I have all my gear (mostly) just need the mat and a little burner for food. But over all I have my gear already. My biggest concern is obviously the money. Lol. I wish to have a budget that big. But my budget is nowhere near that amount. But I can try to make it work. I'm starting to back pack and stay over night with my hikes. To get prepared. I also need a new pair of boots, seeing as my current ones have seeb better days.
      I would recommend considering switching to trail runners. I started out with hiking boots from my Boy Scout Leader days, but quickly evolved from boots to trail shoes to eventually trail runners. Once again you need to figure out what works for you, but this is what I and many others have evolved to,.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

xDUMBOx, first welcome to the Cafe! Lot of information and humor can be found here (with less drama found some other places). :)

Oz gives some excellent advice, as is the TW-Clarity link provided by Foresight.

While Oz's point 5 may not be necessary, it really was helpful for me. Since I have four children and have not been able to justify taking the time do a thru hike yet, I have been section hiking the AT (1448 miles down, 751 to go, plan to finish in 2017) and several other trails closer to home and learned a lot. I started out with a 35 pound base weight and carrying around 50. Now I am down to a base weight of 15 and usually around 18-30 pounds total. The point being you can learn a lot about what you need and don't and where it makes sense to invest for lighter and better gear. Advice from others is great, but at some point you have to determine what actually works for you (so you can HYOH - Hike Your Own Hike).
      i have two of my own, but their mother has agreed tonwatch them while I do this. (Such a great women). But also I've always thought just to get what I feel I need and gknfor it. If my time is cut short due to not enough (anything) I could call it quits and have insight on what to do differently next time.
    • OzJacko wrote:

I saw too many hikes ruined or cut short for budget issues.
      There are many ways to do it cutting as much cost as possible but most impact on the experience. For a budget hike the main key is to avoid towns. This is VERY hard.
      I seriously recommend a half AT for someone with a seriously tight budget.
      And I would recommend starting in Damascus Virginia the week before Trail Days. You avoid the expense of Trail Days, are sort of in a quiet bit of the "bubble" for a few days while you get your legs. The hiking is easier and you might even make Katahdin if you manage your budget.
      You then fit Springer to Damascus in to a portion of your life when you have the time and money. Walking from Damascus all the way to Katahdin you will have done enough to feel total satisfaction on top of Katahdin.
      i have a friend who has been doing the AT by sections and going to dobthe entire trail in one in the year 2018. So I may follow what he's doing and you mention. Just get used to it and get the in depth of what I'll need to truly do it fully. I truly appreciate your comments and advice.
    • Welcome to the Cafe!

The best was to prepare for a thru hike is to hike. Overnights, weekends, etc. It will give you a chance to find out what works for you. And don't get to stressed about the long time on the trail. In reality it's more like a bunch of 3-5 days hike put together. Read some of the AT spedific posts on here & don't be shy about asking questions. You most likely will get a wide range of advise. You just have to figure out what works for you. HYOH.
    • xDUMBOx wrote:

whiteblaze.net theatguide.com/

The post was edited 1 time, last by Da Wolf ().

• Welcome to the Café!

Mountain Mike has some very good advice when it comes to getting out there and start hiking. You will quickly learn what gear you use and what you don't. Also, you will get a idea on your conditioning. This will improve with time but to start out you will benefit with being conservative with your mileage. If starting in Georgia (like many do) the hills here can catch some off guard. As you head north the hills aren't necessarily smaller but you will be in better shape (trail legs).
      RIAP
    • First action item: Do some reading. The most basic questions have been answered many times over in the standard AT guide books. Visit the ATC store and get a copy. Most of the guide books have an introductory chapter or two that will point you in the right direction -- the sort of gear you need, getting to the trail, basic trail etiquette, and so on.

ATC's website: appalachiantrail.org/
      ALDHA website: aldha.org/

Read trail journals online to get a feel for what it's about -- for example, at

trailjournals.com/journals/appalachian_trail/
    • My list of what is needed is the same as Oz's above, except I add one more item - #6.
      1. Time
      2. Money
      3. Mental Endurance
      4. Physical Endurance
      5. Knowledge/Experience
      6. Luck
      But you don't have to have all of these in spades. You can make up for a weakness in some areas with strengths in others. You can make up for a lack of time and money by hiking fast, but it will help to have physical endurance and experience to get off to a fast start. If time and money are not an issue, then an inexperience and out of shape hiker can be successful by starting slow and getting his/her body and gear in shape along the way. You can overcome some bad luck (twist and ankle, family crisis at home, falling in love with the hostess at the AYCE, etc...) if you have the mental endurance to overcome the obstacles. If you don't have the mental endurance to stay on the trail day after day, you can possibly compensate by taking some extra days in town, but that will require more time and money. Each shortcoming lowers your margin of error. If you are an inexperience, ambivalent, couch potato with 4 months and $1000 who twists and ankle on day one, well you're probably screwed. Assess your own strengths and weaknesses and plan accordingly.
    • I'm on a limited budget as well. Very limited. This year I had planned on hiking at least part of the BMT to get in shape. Dental problem cropped up and I'm still paying on that, so I might be able to hike a small part of the Pinhoti Trail this year instead. And a few short hikes at a state park down the road from here.

I bought boots last year and found them rather heavy, but I got used to them. I have since purchased some sneakers, Fila brand, and find them more comfortable. Bought some water fording shoes to.

Most of my tent and sleeping bag gear is heavy... I'll work it out on what else to carry with that.

I hope to do part of the AT next year. My relatives sort of ebb and flow with me going. SOmetimes supportive and at other times 'what are you thinking !'.

I just point out to them that the I wont be the oldest person to hike it. She was 89 years old when she completed the AT. Sorry, I'm terrible at remembering names.

Ooops. Memory fades. Howdy and welcome to the forums !
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Foresight wrote:

I have a lot of work to catch up on so start here....

appalachiantrailcafe.net/index…s/?postID=88440#post88440
      Thanks. :)

xDUMBOx wrote:

okay, thank you so much for this. This is what I needed. I have all my gear (mostly) just need the mat and a little burner for food. But over all I have my gear already. My biggest concern is obviously the money. Lol. I wish to have a budget that big. But my budget is nowhere near that amount. But I can try to make it work. I'm starting to back pack and stay over night with my hikes. To get prepared. I also need a new pair of boots, seeing as my current ones have seeb better days.
      Howdy Dumbo! Welcome! How exciting to be planning an A.T. hike. The lifestyle of a thru-hiker has been the best 6 months, 2 days of my entire 37 years...and sometimes the worst. You'll learn so much about yourself.

I finished my flip-flop thru-hike December 7, 2015. Looks like Foresight already pointed you to my blog site, but I'm glad to share my experience with you.

Regarding money. I wish I had kept better tabs, but the thing is, if you have no bills at home, you can get by hiking the trail on $2500-3000, especially if you already have your gear. Towns are where the temptation lies, so avoid them as much as possible to save money. My before and after gear list can be found by going to this link and downloading the Word docs. appalachiantrailclarity.com/at-for-newbies/

The thing is, with all there is out there to learn, you'll discover your own methods, your own way. It's good to have some foundation and to take in information from those who have completed the trail or finished long sections, but hikers are like snowflakes. No two of us are alike. ;)

When do you plan to start? I'm going to be working on the A.T. in GA as a ridgerunner starting in two weeks. Maybe we can meet up!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • since you have a friend who is currently sectioning the AT, i'd say that is your best source of info. use us to fill in the gaps or as a second opinion.

have him show you his gear. ask what he likes about it, and more importantly, what he doesn't. ask, based on what he has seen others use, if he has seen something better that he would rather use. take him to rei and look at gear. show him the gear you already have and ask him to comment. buy a copy of the companion.

getting out and actually backpacking is the best thing you can do to prepare.

if you can hike for 6 days you can thru-hike the AT, assuming you have the time and the money. how much of each varies depending on the individual, but 6 months and 5K is plenty. you can spend less and hike faster if you want to.
      2,000 miler
    • Good way to learn is to hang out with the thru-hikers for a bit and just observe -- what gear they're using, how they use it, their camp routines, etc. Ask questions, politely. Most of them will be happy to explain every detail.

You'll find thru-hikers throughout Georgia and TN/NC between March and mid-April. By June they're in Virginia, by August most are in New England and the herd has been thinned out greatly.

It is by no means a "survival" thing unless you're doing it very wrong.
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

Watch the movie "A Walk in the Woods" and do exactly what they do in the movie.

Nah...just kidding! But read the book, its a funny book.
      TwistWrist won't like it if you discard things along the way, especially if you go NOBO from Springer.

Some people like to sleep on the ground, but others like hammocks. Some like trail runners, while others prefer boots, or at least more durable hiking footwear. Some wear sandals, and some go barefoot. Some use poles, some use sticks, and some prefer to keep their hands free for other things. Some cook over campfires, some woodstoves, some alcohol burners, and some canister stores, but some do not cook anything. Some buy expensive gear, while others shop thrift stores. You may want to look around at what is possible and try different things before heading out in earnest.

The most important thing IMO is to walk around with everything you think you need on your back. Walk up and down rocky and muddy hills. Walk on hard pavement. See what combination of socks, footwear, and poles works for you. Learn how to treat and avoid blisters. Toughen up your feet gradually. Walk one mile one day, and maybe two the next. At some point you will want to be able to walk 14 miles per day. That makes it easier to get through SNP. In Pennsylvania's Cumberland Valley, you will want to be able to walk farther in one day, because camping along the way is prohibited. You don't need to be completely in shape before you start, but anything you can do before you reach the AT will give you a definite advantage.

Be sure you pack is properly fitted. I saw a man with bumps the size of quarters where his pack had rubbed his back. My pack splits weight between hips, shoulders, and sternum. I do not know what he used. I recommend a pack, but even that is not strictly necessary. I saw one person with his belongings wrapped in pieces of a closed cell foam sleeping mat, which were held together with bungee cords. Some have probably even carried there belongings in a sack over a shoulder.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Watch the movie "A Walk in the Woods" and do exactly what they do in the movie.

Nah...just kidding! But read the book, its a funny book.
      TwistWrist won't like it if you discard things along the way, especially if you go NOBO from Springer.
      i don't think she has any law enforcement authority once the white blazes start, but mess up the approach trail and she'll kick your azz.
      2,000 miler
    • All of the above is good advice, but in the end you'll hike your own hike. (HYOH).

I would advise on spending some time in inclement weather, both hiking and establishing camp. Setting up a tent site in your backyard during a rain shower will refine your technique.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

All of the above is good advice, but in the end you'll hike your own hike. (HYOH).

I would advise on spending some time in inclement weather, both hiking and establishing camp. Setting up a tent site in your backyard during a rain shower will refine your technique.
      I think you need to be miles from any shelter to be properly motivated. Only then truly a fast tent pitcher will you be.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

All of the above is good advice, but in the end you'll hike your own hike. (HYOH).

I think you need to be miles from any shelter to be properly motivated. Only then truly a fast tent pitcher will you be.
      Well said, Yoda! :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • As a packsniffer and Cafe Comic Relief, I have zip to offer in the way of wisdom and advice. I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the Cafe.

<<Pours xDUMBOx a cup of coffee>>
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee