Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Planning the AT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• i used mail drops on my thru, wouldn't do it again, that has already been pointed out by others, and you are going to use maildrops for meds. i personally agree, meds and maps are really the only reason for mail drops.

you can send mail drops to either the post office or hostels, i would use the post office as the amount of security provided by hostels can range from nonexistent to excellent. keep in mind you may be able to refill your meds at local pharmacies.

the nuts and bolts:

address the box as follows:

your full real name (not trail name)
      c/o general delivery
      city/state/zip

on the bottom of the box add:

please hold for thru hiker
      estimated date of arrival

you will need photo id to get your box from the post office.

post offices will hold general delivery for 30 days, but post offices in trail towns will generally go past the 30 days as they understand its kinda hard for us to keep to a schedule.

post offices and addresses are shown in the companion (and presumably awol guide but i don't use that).

rather than addressing your boxes by hand, sly of aldha as put together mailing labels at the below link. check it out.

soruck.net/at/
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Do you mean the simple mechanics of addressing a package for pickup at a post office? My last maildrop label read,

Kevin Kenny
      c/o General Delivery
      Piseco, NY 12139
      POSTMASTER: Please hold for Northville-Placid Trail hiker arriving on or about 10/16/2014

(fill in names, dates and towns appropriately)

If you get a guide like AWOL's, it lists post offices that offer General Delivery, and hostels, motels, outfitters, and other businesses that will hold packages for their customers (warning, except for the post offices, you usually need to call in advance to confirm that they'll take delivery). There's also a list at SoRuck.

You'll ordinarily need to show a photo ID to claim a held package.

If you send a box Priority Mail, you can refuse delivery and have the post office forward it to another address. Be aware that mail service can be slow in trail towns and the post offices have limited hours. There's nothing like arriving in town Friday afternoon and discovering that the post office has already closed and won't be open again until Monday morning.

P.S. The reason for the maildrop was that Casey was planning to be on vacation that week, so the general store was going to be closed. If I was going to resupply, it would have to be by maildrop.

Edited to add: And max.patch ninja'd me. I see we gave the exact same information, which is encouraging.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by AnotherKevin ().

• Here ya go!

appalachiantrailclarity.com/20…ru-hiker-resupply-points/

I'm working on an article detailing maildrops on my blog site, but here's a quick intro.
      Maildrops are hard to wrap your mind around as you plan an Appalachian Trail thru-hike. Rest assured, you will figure out your system within a couple of weeks.
      You have two options for places to send yourself stuff along the way: town post offices and outfitters or hostels who allow maildrops. All addresses and PO zip codes can be found in Awol's A.T. Guide. There are pros and cons to choosing post offices versus other options. Post offices offer limited hours and aren't open on Sundays whereas outfitters and hostels are open longer each day and are typically open for business seven days a week. Post offices allow a very nice benefit. If you need your package forwarded to another town, it takes only a phone call to the PO and the zipcode to where the box needs to go. No charge, no hassle. Post offices also offer free pickup. Some hostels/outfitters charge you a nominal fee.
      To send a package to a PO, you need:
      First and last name (real name, not trail name)
      General Delivery
      City, State, Zip followed by 9999. For example, 30605-9999

Also include your ETA date (a range of a week is fine), and be sure to have your ID on hand. I was asked for it at every single PO.
      Hope this helps! Happy Hiking!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Edited to add: And max.patch ninja'd me. I see we gave the exact same information, which is encouraging.
      i hate it when that happens. :)

whats interesting is that we both gave the link for the mailing labels which most people forget about and we both missed the 9999 given by TW. although back in the dark ages when i used mail drops i don't think anyone had even heard of 9999. thats my excuse and i'm stickin to it.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

whats interesting is that we both gave the link for the mailing labels which most people forget about and we both missed the 9999 given by TW. although back in the dark ages when i used mail drops i don't think anyone had even heard of 9999. thats my excuse and i'm stickin to it.

Do you seriously think that adding 9999 is going to make any difference at all to how the postmaster will handle it in a trail town post office?

Do you even know your ZIP+4 at home? If so, you're probably as obsessive as I am. :)
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Do you seriously think that adding 9999 is going to make any difference at all to how the postmaster will handle it in a trail town post office?

Do you even know your ZIP+4 at home? If so, you're probably as obsessive as I am. :)
      you know...thats a good point about the 9999 in mail going to a trail town. i'll add that of the probably 20 or so mail drops i had every one was at the post office when i arrived.

i always use the +4 -- and i'm always taken aback on how many online forms only accept the 5 digit zip.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i always use the +4 -- and i'm always taken aback on how many online forms only accept the 5 digit zip.

That's because most of those online forms have third-party fulfillment services on the back end that can look up the +4 from the address, and most people don't even know their +4. Using the +4 is strictly optional for first- and fourth-class mail, it's only second- and third-class over a certain number of pieces per mailing that the post office starts to require it. That's why they never made a big campaign about it. (Anyone remember "No ZIP? Slow trip! Wrong ZIP? Long trip!" from the Sixties?)
    • I remember Mr. Zip. I also remember a sticker I bought as a joke. It had a cartoon character on it and it said 'I'm Doomed ! I've forgotten my zipe code !' which was placed where the zip code went. The post office delivered them anyway. Don't know if they would now or not.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

All of the above is good advice, but in the end you'll hike your own hike. (HYOH).

I would advise on spending some time in inclement weather, both hiking and establishing camp. Setting up a tent site in your backyard during a rain shower will refine your technique.
      I think you need to be miles from any shelter to be properly motivated. Only then truly a fast tent pitcher will you be.
      Well said, Yoda! :)
      May the forest be with you.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does