Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Europe Animated Map

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A little slow to watch all the way through.

Traveling through northern Italy is enlightening. Sienna and Florence are an hours' drive apart, but for ages they were separate kingdoms and fought fiercely.

Borders are pretty arbitrary, eh? I never understood nationalism, the notion that you're better than X Y or Z because of which country you were born in.
    • Drybones wrote:

Grinder wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

we didn't even have Internet, I'm surprised we learned anything.
      Well it's not as if today's kids have learned much in spite of having the innerwebz:
      At least they knew the answers to the important questions...the ones that affect their lives.
      That is really pathetic. We have now dumbed down a generation or more in this country, but then they has such better self esteem. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • There are plenty of really stupid older folks. Just look at any government building to find them. There are also plenty of really smart kids these days also. My 9th grader is in AP Algebra 2. I don't remember anyone in AP Algebra 2 when I was in the 9th grade. The braniacs we're taking Geometry when I was in 9th grade. I was taking Algebra 1.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

There are plenty of really stupid older folks. Just look at any government building to find them. There are also plenty of really smart kids these days also. My 9th grader is in AP Algebra 2. I don't remember anyone in AP Algebra 2 when I was in the 9th grade. The braniacs we're taking Geometry when I was in 9th grade. I was taking Algebra 1.
      I don't get it. AP means advanced placement. AP courses are supposed to be college level. Passing a proper AP exam typically allows you to place out of the same course once you get to college.

I don't know of any colleges that teach algebra -- you're expected to have mastered that as a freshman, at least if you're going into any sort of technical (STEM) field.

I've heard of AP courses offered to 11th and 12th graders, but not 9th graders.

Least that's the way it was back in the stone ages when I was dealing with all that.
    • rafe wrote:

Rasty wrote:

There are plenty of really stupid older folks. Just look at any government building to find them. There are also plenty of really smart kids these days also. My 9th grader is in AP Algebra 2. I don't remember anyone in AP Algebra 2 when I was in the 9th grade. The braniacs we're taking Geometry when I was in 9th grade. I was taking Algebra 1.
      I don't get it. AP means advanced placement. AP courses are supposed to be college level. Passing a proper AP exam typically allows you to place out of the same course once you get to college.
      I don't know of any colleges that teach algebra -- you're expected to have mastered that as a freshman, at least if you're going into any sort of technical (STEM) field.

Least that's the way it was back in the stone ages when I was dealing with all that.
      Some schools call those early classes pre-AP, meaning you are on the track for taking the eventual AP classes in your later high school years.
    • rafe wrote:

Rasty wrote:

She will have ten math college credits when she graduates high school unless she fails or drops a course. You can graduate high school after the 11th grade if you plan your courses correctly. Things have changed a bit. Most of the kids in the classroom are in 11th grade.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • No big deal, just sayin, algebra isn't college level. Calculus, maybe. Kids should be actively using algebra through the last couple years of high school, if they're going into STEM.

Graduating after 11th grade was an option I either never had, or didn't know I had. Ancient history though.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I took two years of five hour calculus in college. Never use it. Algebra and geometry, now those I use almost every day.
      Same here, I majored in Computer Science and took 33 hours of math, including 15 hours of Calculus, and never use it either.

So now my son is going to major in Computer Science too, but is learning Chinese and wants to move back to Singapore where he was born. Even though he had a 35 in math on the ACT (out of 36), I recommended he go with an International Business minor instead of all of the Math.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I took two years of five hour calculus in college. Never use it. Algebra and geometry, now those I use almost every day.
      Same here, I had 13 hours of calculus, did use it once, just for the hellofit, was taking inventory and had large rolls of felt, used it to calculate the number of feet in the roll.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Same here, I majored in Computer Science and took 33 hours of math, including 15 hours of Calculus, and never use it either.
      So now my son is going to major in Computer Science too, but is learning Chinese and wants to move back to Singapore where he was born. Even though he had a 35 in math on the ACT (out of 36), I recommended he go with an International Business minor instead of all of the Math.
      My Bachelors is in Computer Scence to. Two 5 semester hour classes in calculus, geoetry and something else. Had about 14-16 classes in computer programming.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.