Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Weekend hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Weekend hike

Anyone heading out this weekend? My boyfriend, my dog, and I are heading out tomorrow. We're going to hike the Approach Trail because he hasn't finished it yet. We'll camp on Springer most likely. Day two we're taking the BMT to Three Forks and camping at the falls. Day three is walking the A.T. back to the car at Animcalola Lodge.
      I was a helluva lot more excited before they added rain to the forecast for the area, but it's all part of the journey.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Never mind. Looks like I'll be spending a beautiful day getting a new tire. This has been a rough week and all I've thought about is going hiking tomorrow. :cursing:

(BTW, does anyone else think this emoji dude is stealing the Angel's bell to dig a cathole?). gif.015.gif
      I gotta get my subaru stereo fixed first. So I may end up camping in the backyard lol. I think he trying to steal the bell thing for a trowel. :thumbsup:
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Never mind. Looks like I'll be spending a beautiful day getting a new tire. This has been a rough week and all I've thought about is going hiking tomorrow. :cursing:

(BTW, does anyone else think this emoji dude is stealing the Angel's bell to dig a cathole?). gif.015.gif
      Oh boo. :( Those weeks suck.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • A group of us (9) is doing a short overnight hike to Indian Tomb Hollow, we did it a couple of years ago and I ran across a photo of that trip...thought the tree was interesting.
      Images
      • 600_446336420.jpeg

171.96 kB, 600×450, viewed 376 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I'm going stir crazy. I still don't want to have to fiddle with setting up a tent and such with the hand not up to 100% (cast is off but hand is weak and limited range of motion after 6 weeks immobilized), but I need to get out. I'm looking at the Pigeon Hill Loop Trail in Kennesaw. Today or tomorrow, leaning toward today depending on when I get off my ass and get moving...which is more and more making it look like tomorrow. :P
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

I'm going stir crazy. I still don't want to have to fiddle with setting up a tent and such with the hand not up to 100% (cast is off but hand is weak and limited range of motion after 6 weeks immobilized), but I need to get out. I'm looking at the Pigeon Hill Loop Trail in Kennesaw. Today or tomorrow, leaning toward today depending on when I get off my ass and get moving...which is more and more making it look like tomorrow. :P
      Leave half the food at home this time :)
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Leave half the food at home this time
      Nothing but snacks this time, and not much of that.

Didn't make it yesterday, and today's plan has been altered. I'm going to Andersonville to visit the POW Museum (all wars), the former POW camp, and national cemetery there. Highly recommended by a high school friend who lives down this way. Spent mot of yesterday afternoon having coffee and chatting with him, then had dinner. He had been to Kennesaw early yesterdat and said it was slammed with people. With a similar forecast today, probably the same. I'll hit that during the week.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Didn't make it yesterday, and today's plan has been altered. I'm going to Andersonville to visit the POW Museum (all wars), the former POW camp, and national cemetery there. Highly recommended by a high school friend who lives down this way. Spent mot of yesterday afternoon having Coffee and chatting with him, then had dinner. He had been to Kennesaw early yesterdat and said it was slammed with people. With a similar forecast today, probably the same. I'll hit that during the week.
      Don't let the crowds stop you. Just pretend you are pat of the bubble on the AT in March or April. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Awww, thanks.
      I can't feel too sorry for myself, it can always be worse. I know a lady whose 14 yr old was killed the other day and another good friend who's going through something terrible. I'll enjoy the day no matter what I'm doing. :)
      And that is one of the many things that make you awesome!

• Cut the trip a night short this time.

Pup had the BEST time hiking as she always does, but boy, she really hates camping, especially in the cold. Last night we slept a total of 1 hour. Between the coyotes singing, the owls calling loudly to one another, and the chill that entered our tent around 4am, my girl got very little sleep which means I got none. Blah. With the rain coming in tonight and being exhausted from last night, I walked about a 13 mile day today and drove home. It won't be long before I won't have a choice but to be out there in the rain and cold, so while the choice is available to me, I exercised it. Glad to be home.

My girl is such an amazing trail dog! Her manners are impeccable out there. So proud of her!
      Images
      • My girl and me.jpg

228.36 kB, 800×450, viewed 353 times

• Try a troop of Boy Scouts, most of whom forgot their rain gear. "Its raining !"

me, 'Yes, I know. Go Back to Sleeeeeep ! Auuuggghhh !'

Several hours later.

I'm in the middle of cooking eggs and bacon when, 'Can you help us get our fire started... we're hungry and need to fix breakfast.'.

'Ask the senior scouts.'

'They said you would help.'

'Arrggghh... All right you senior Scouts ! Show them how to make a cook fire in the rain ! Now !'

'Uh, yes sir.'.

Egad.

or this one.

'Its raining, and we are getting wet !'

'Well, so am I. If you ever find out how to stay dry in the rain, please let me know.'

Almost a direct quote from a WW2 Willie and Joe cartoon by Bill Mauldin.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Grinder wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Didn't make it yesterday, and today's plan has been altered. I'm going to Andersonville to visit the POW Museum (all wars), the former POW camp, and national cemetery there. Highly recommended by a high school friend who lives down this way. Spent mot of yesterday afternoon having Coffee and chatting with him, then had dinner. He had been to Kennesaw early yesterdat and said it was slammed with people. With a similar forecast today, probably the same. I'll hit that during the week.
      Andersonville is recommended to history buffs. The camp commander was the only Confederate executed by the Union for war crimes.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • JimBlue wrote:

Try a troop of Boy Scouts, most of whom forgot their rain gear. "Its raining !"

Several hours later.

I'm in the middle of cooking eggs and bacon when, 'Can you help us get our fire started... we're hungry and need to fix breakfast.'.

'Ask the senior scouts.'

'Arrggghh... All right you senior Scouts ! Show them how to make a cook fire in the rain ! Now !'

'Uh, yes sir.'.

Egad.

or this one.

'Well, so am I. If you ever find out how to stay dry in the rain, please let me know.'

Heard or said all of the above.

Last Sept went on a two nighter. Awakened at 0200 by a soaked and crying 12 year old Scout. He had left his tent unzipped when an intense rain shower occurred. His bag and clothing were soaked. After getting him into my tent (against policy) he dried off and dressed in my spare clothing. He crawled into my bag and was asleep within minutes. I was left with a sodden tent floor and a damp towel to finish the night.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Nothing but snacks this time, and not much of that.Didn't make it yesterday, and today's plan has been altered. I'm going to Andersonville to visit the POW Museum (all wars), the former POW camp, and national cemetery there. Highly recommended by a high school friend who lives down this way. Spent mot of yesterday afternoon having Coffee and chatting with him, then had dinner. He had been to Kennesaw early yesterdat and said it was slammed with people. With a similar forecast today, probably the same. I'll hit that during the week.
      Andersonville is recommended to history buffs. The camp commander was the only Confederate executed by the Union for war crimes.really
      Once took a Civil War class. Professor said while conditions were really bad there you have to keep in mind that the Confederates did not even have enough food and supplies to takes care of their own soldiers, much less prisoners. Some Union prisons were bad too, and they had plenty of food and supplies.
    • Astro wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Maybe there should be a merit badge for spending the night face down in the fetal position in a puddle of water, flexing muscles to stay warm.
      We once earned the polar bear patch when Winter Camp got down into the teens, which is cold for us Southerners.
      so did we. it was the only time i was rooting for cold weather. i think it got down to 28; anything below freezing qualified in our troop. some of the adults looked at their gear, had second thots, and made a 9 pm run to walmart.
      2,000 miler
    • One of the times my AT wanderings intersected with those of scouts, there was rain and one scout had trouble with a tent. He wanted to sleep in the shelter, but was told he would not get credit for that, although sleeping under the picnic table would count.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Maybe there should be a merit badge for spending the night face down in the fetal position in a puddle of water, flexing muscles to stay warm.
      We once earned the polar bear patch when Winter Camp got down into the teens, which is cold for us Southerners.
      so did we. it was the only time i was rooting for cold weather. i think it got down to 28; anything below freezing qualified in our troop. some of the adults looked at their gear, had second thots, and made a 9 pm run to walmart.
      It was Winter Camp (between Christmas and New Years) so at least we were pretty much prepared. Also most of the meals and Merit Badge classes were inside a training center building, so it basically was just bundle up well at night.
    • Dan76 wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Several hours later.

'Ask the senior scouts.'

'Uh, yes sir.'.

Egad.

or this one.

Heard or said all of the above.
      Last Sept went on a two nighter. Awakened at 0200 by a soaked and crying 12 year old Scout. He had left his tent unzipped when an intense rain shower occurred. His bag and clothing were soaked. After getting him into my tent (against policy) he dried off and dressed in my spare clothing. He crawled into my bag and was asleep within minutes. I was left with a sodden tent floor and a damp towel to finish the night.
      Now tell me, of the two of you, who learned a lesson that night?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Astro wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Nothing but snacks this time, and not much of that.Didn't make it yesterday, and today's plan has been altered. I'm going to Andersonville to visit the POW Museum (all wars), the former POW camp, and national cemetery there. Highly recommended by a high school friend who lives down this way. Spent mot of yesterday afternoon having Coffee and chatting with him, then had dinner. He had been to Kennesaw early yesterdat and said it was slammed with people. With a similar forecast today, probably the same. I'll hit that during the week.
      Andersonville is recommended to history buffs. The camp commander was the only Confederate executed by the Union for war crimes.really
      Once took a Civil War class. Professor said while conditions were really bad there you have to keep in mind that the Confederates did not even have enough food and supplies to takes care of their own soldiers, much less prisoners. Some Union prisons were bad too, and they had plenty of food and supplies.
      all of the above...true.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Several hours later.

'Ask the senior scouts.'

'Uh, yes sir.'.

Egad.

or this one.

Heard or said all of the above.Last Sept went on a two nighter. Awakened at 0200 by a soaked and crying 12 year old Scout. He had left his tent unzipped when an intense rain shower occurred. His bag and clothing were soaked. After getting him into my tent (against policy) he dried off and dressed in my spare clothing. He crawled into my bag and was asleep within minutes. I was left with a sodden tent floor and a damp towel to finish the night.
      Now tell me, of the two of you, who learned a lesson that night?
      I suggest the scout as during the next troop meeting, he gave a short talk on how to stay drier during future campouts.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC