Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Staying warm

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Staying warm

Trebor wrote:

Since most of the country will be in a deep freeze this week it begs the question: What's your preferred way of staying warm while hiking in the winter?
      lots of sleep.get packed and moving quickly, eat breakfast after ive hiked a while and warmed up a bit.down jkt/pnts for camp.hot chocolate or liptons chicken noodle soup or hot jello before bedtime.
      its all good
    • Staying warm

hikerboy wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Since most of the country will be in a deep freeze this week it begs the question: What's your preferred way of staying warm while hiking in the winter?
      lots of sleep.get packed and moving quickly, eat breakfast after ive hiked a while and warmed up a bit.down jkt/pnts for camp.hot chocolate or liptons chicken noodle soup or hot jello before bedtime.

been checkin out them Down pants...spensive
    • Staying warm

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Trebor wrote:

But really warm.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Staying warm

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Trebor wrote:

ill let you know if theyre worth it.purely a luxury item. havent needed em since i bought em.never needed them before, but as i usually hike solo, dont do much hanging out after dark, just get in the bag and read , doze or entertain pepe.
      its all good
    • Staying warm

Most don't know jack about backpacking orcamping either & that doesn't stop them.

LoboSolo wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Proper tent set up. Snow shelter if possible

Heart meals & constant snacking. Good sleeping bag with a hot water bottle thrown in it.
      that's all well and good. you got experience but nearly 100% of thru-hiker wannabes know jack schitt about bein' in cold weather
    • Staying warm

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Trebor wrote:

ill let you know if theyre worth it.purely a luxury item. havent needed em since i bought em.never needed them before, but as i usually hike solo, dont do much hanging out after dark, just get in the bag and read , doze or entertain pepe.

I use my down pants as part of my sleep system.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Staying warm

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Trebor wrote:

I use my down pants as part of my sleep system.
      yeah, well.
      its all good
    • Staying warm

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Trebor wrote:

well, as one who has been on union jobs...standing around will chill you to the bone, I'm fine when hikin, I really need to hang out in my present hiking garb and don't do a thing to see what I've got goin on...maybe I'll start a down pants fund for myself, I got a spare old used Tequila bottle around here somewhere. My current ole Vodka bottle is half full and allotted for a new sleeping pad, I could stand to shave about a pound from the current BA aircore non- insulated.
    • Staying warm

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Heart meals & constant snacking. Good sleeping bag with a hot water bottle thrown in it.
      Now this is a project that has been on my mind for some time now, making and pulling a sled..er poke.
      Mike are the pack and the poke both yours? I mean i thought I'd do one or the other, whatta ya got goin on there?
    • Staying warm

1azarus wrote:

Trebor wrote:

...preferred? A fire made by somebody else.

Had to slow down and read that one twice.
      First time I saw "fire" or "somebody else". :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Staying warm

rocksNsocks wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Now this is a project that has been on my mind for some time now, making and pulling a sled..er poke.
      Mike are the pack and the poke both yours? I mean i thought I'd do one or the other, whatta ya got goin on there?

Both were mine. was for a two week trip in WA.. 165 lbs of gear by the time we added all the technical gear in.
    • Staying warm

Well I just got back from a short stroll. Had on long johns, hoodie, down jacket and wind breaker. Two pair of gloves and a toboggan hat.. The temp dropped almost 10 degrees in less than two hours and the wind kicked up. It was 8 degrees when I got back to the car. I don't think I have a preferred way to hike in the winter. I'm staying in for a couple days.
    • Staying warm

Storm wrote:

Well I just got back from a short stroll. Had on long johns, hoodie, down jacket and wind breaker. Two pair of gloves and a toboggan hat.. The temp dropped almost 10 degrees in less than two hours and the wind kicked up. It was 8 degrees when I got back to the car. I don't think I have a preferred way to hike in the winter. I'm staying in for a couple days.

Storm, I have also tried a few different variations and have come to the same conclusion.
    • Staying warm

LoboSolo wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

that's all well and good. you got experience but nearly 100% of thru-hiker wannabes know jack schitt about bein' in cold weather

So what's your advice? I'm a fair weather hiker but trying to change that. A few weeks ago I did a night hike and camped by a river. It was cold to me, 32? (I realize that's not really cold but I'm not acclimated like a lot of you). Hiking was fine, I had to strip to my base layer to not sweat. I slept in a 20deg bag which probably really isn't, wore a wool/polyester shirt, underarmour pants, wool socks, wool hat, buff that I sometimes covered my face with, and ended up putting on my puffy coat. I woke up multiple times feeling chilled to my bones but once I moved around, I generated enough heat to warm up enough to fall asleep. It wasn't a miserable night but it was uncomfortable. What else should I do to stay warm? I've been looking at better bags and base layers. I don't think a quilt is right for me.

I've got 9 days off this month and planning on hiking in Va and Pa. I'd like to do overnights but I've gotta be warm.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Staying warm

TrafficJam wrote:

So what's your advice? I'm a fair weather hiker but trying to change that. A few weeks ago I did a night hike and camped by a river. It was cold to me, 32? (I realize that's not really cold but I'm not acclimated like a lot of you). Hiking was fine, I had to strip to my base layer to not sweat. I slept in a 20deg bag which probably really isn't, wore a wool/polyester shirt, underarmour pants, wool socks, wool hat, buff that I sometimes covered my face with, and ended up putting on my puffy coat. I woke up multiple times feeling chilled to my bones but once I moved around, I generated enough heat to warm up enough to fall asleep. It wasn't a miserable night but it was uncomfortable. What else should I do to stay warm? I've been looking at better bags and base layers. I don't think a quilt is right for me.

I've got 9 days off this month and planning on hiking in Va and Pa. I'd like to do overnights but I've gotta be warm.

Just watch the weather forecast and be ready to adapt. Oh, and most of all just get out there and have fun!
    • Staying warm

1) Insulate yourself from the ground. I use a full length full length closed cell foam pad & my 3/4 Thermarest for winter.

2) Pitch yur tent where it's sheltered from wind. Avoid low spots where cool air can pool. Also look up for any branches that could break with snow, ice & wind.

3) Go to bed warm. Eat/drink something warm before get in your sleeping bag. A cup of hot cocoa or some warm jello is great.Do a few jumping jacks. Also keep a candy bar/snacks handy if you wake up cold during the night to give your body some fuel. Change into a dry base layer for sleeping. Add clothes depending on your bag.

4) Take a hot water bottle to bed with you. Fill a nalgene with water & wrap in a sock or extra clothes.

5) If your sleeping bag doesn't have a decent draft tube around the neck improvise one. Keep the air you warmed inside your sleeping bag from rushing out everytime you move around. Consider a liner or bivy to boost the rating of your sleeping bag. Even a cheap emergency bivy can make a difference.

6) Keep your head warm. Wear a hat/balaclave, etc. a scarf that goes over your nose & moth help, but don't breath into your sleeping bag. The moisture will degrade the insulation.
    • Staying warm

Mountain-Mike wrote:

1) Insulate yourself from the ground. I use a full length full length closed cell foam pad & my 3/4 Thermarest for winter.

2) Pitch yur tent where it's sheltered from wind. Avoid low spots where cool air can pool. Also look up for any branches that could break with snow, ice & wind.

3) Go to bed warm. Eat/drink something warm before get in your sleeping bag. A cup of hot cocoa or some warm jello is great.Do a few jumping jacks. Also keep a candy bar/snacks handy if you wake up cold during the night to give your body some fuel. Change into a dry base layer for sleeping. Add clothes depending on your bag.

4) Take a hot water bottle to bed with you. Fill a nalgene with water & wrap in a sock or extra clothes.

5) If your sleeping bag doesn't have a decent draft tube around the neck improvise one. Keep the air you warmed inside your sleeping bag from rushing out everytime you move around. Consider a liner or bivy to boost the rating of your sleeping bag. Even a cheap emergency bivy can make a difference.

6) Keep your head warm. Wear a hat/balaclave, etc. a scarf that goes over your nose & moth help, but don't breath into your sleeping bag. The moisture will degrade the insulation.

Thank you, great advice. Does anyone use a quilt and a bag? I move all night and don't think a quilt will work but maybe both?
    • Staying warm

TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Thank you, great advice. Does anyone use a quilt and a bag? I move all night and don't think a quilt will work but maybe both?

all great tips.
      also,make sure youre hydrated.
      thirsty people sleep cold. most people do not hydrate properly,especially the first few days out.
      its all good
    • Staying warm

Good point HB. Most people don't realize how easy it is to dehydrate yourelf in the cold. You may not sweat (best to avoid this in winter by venting/shedding layers) but the dry cold air will suck the moistere from your lungs with each breath. Make it a habit to snack & drink often. Pre-cut cubes of cheese, summer sausage, etc & keep a baggie of them in a coat pocket. Not only is it handy, it prevents injury from trying to slice them when they are frozen. Anyone who has tried to eat a frozen Snickers knows what I mean.
    • Staying warm

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Good point HB. Most people don't realize how easy it is to dehydrate yourelf in the cold. You may not sweat (best to avoid this in winter by venting/shedding layers) but the dry cold air will suck the moistere from your lungs with each breath. Make it a habit to snack & drink often. Pre-cut cubes of cheese, summer sausage, etc & keep a baggie of them in a coat pocket. Not only is it handy, it prevents injury from trying to slice them when they are frozen. Anyone who has tried to eat a frozen Snickers knows what I mean.
      my dentist knows.
      its all good
    • Staying warm

Mountain-Mike wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Both were mine. was for a two week trip in WA.. 165 lbs of gear by the time we added all the technical gear in.
      ah, I suppose one could stay out a good long time given enough food and water or fuel.
    • Staying warm

i read somewhere about the disadvantage our soldiers have when they are dropped off in a hostile environment, weather-wise. it takes time to get used to being outdoors in temperature extremes -- but you do get acclimated. where am i going with this? it always feels like hiking in the winter was a really really dumb idea for the first 45 minutes. then i feel fine. it always feels like sleeping out in the winter was a really really dumb idea the first night. then i feel fine. so: consider planning a two or three night trip! then try to remember how good you felt on the second day the next time you go out.
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!
    • Staying warm

1azarus wrote:

i read somewhere about the disadvantage our soldiers have when they are dropped off in a hostile environment, weather-wise. it takes time to get used to being outdoors in temperature extremes -- but you do get acclimated. where am i going with this? it always feels like hiking in the winter was a really really dumb idea for the first 45 minutes. then i feel fine. it always feels like sleeping out in the winter was a really really dumb idea the first night. then i feel fine. so: consider planning a two or three night trip! then try to remember how good you felt on the second day the next time you go out.

That's a really good point Laz
      ...and has earned you one karma thingy :)
    • I think it was at that site that I found instructions on how to make various kinds of sleds.
      Not that I ever did, but I thought making one would be an interesting project.
      In fact, I don't even know where I'd use a sled to pull my gear. I guess if I chose trails carefully in Harriman it might work but I suspect with all the people Harriman gets it would be a problem.
    • LIhikers wrote:

In fact, I don't even know where I'd use a sled to pull my gear. I guess if I chose trails carefully in Harriman it might work but I suspect with all the people Harriman gets it would be a problem.

The x-c ski network in Harriman might work, if you wanted to pull a pulka from skis, or some of the less-used secondary trails (White Bar, maybe, or Kakiat. They're both pretty marshy and muddy in summer, but would probably be nice once the mud freezes.)

If I were to go pulking, I think I'd set my sights farther north. A lot of the trails in the Forest Preserve don't get all postholed (the rule that you have to have snowshoes or skis when there are 8+ inches of snow on the trails helps). The old Overlook Turnpike looks as if it would be a fun one for pulking. It's got great views, and no scrambling. In the summer it's passable by mountain bike, and there are only one or two places that a cyclist has to dismount. (The side trail down to Echo Lake is similarly smooth.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • The last time I went hiking, temps were in the upper 20's. I stayed fairly warm but only when I was totally covered by my bag...burrowed down so face and head were covered. Several times I woke up feeling slightly damp from condensation so I would come up for air until my neck and face got cold, then I would burrow down again. I was rereading this thread and Mike said condensation will degrade the bag's insulation. Is a little condensation okay or do I want to avoid all condensation?
    • It depends how many nights you are out. One night may not be a problem but several night can be. you are better off with a balaclava, long neck gaitor or scarf to breathe through & still exhaust moisture outside your bag while retaining the warth of your breath. Also remember to stay hydrated in winter. The air is so dry you lose more water in wither breathing than you do sweating most days in summer.