Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Leave No Trace ideas

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Leave No Trace ideas

Hey guys! I've been crunching on an idea that I'd like to try to implement as a GA ridgerunner. I'm going to throw out what I've considered so far, and I want you guys to tell me reasons why it wouldn't work if you can think of any.

I have emailed Mountain House, Backpacker's Pantry, and REI this email:

"Hi! I just finished an A.T. thru-hike on Dec. 7, 2015 and I counted on Backpackers Pantry meals to get me through! Thank you! Now the Appalachian Trail Conservancy has hired me to be a ridgerunner this year on the GA section of trail. We are expecting record numbers of hikers to attempt a thru-hike this year, and protecting our trail is of high priority. As a ridgerunner, I plan to incorporate help from willing hikers by giving them a bag to collect trash they find on the trail as they are hiking. As a "thank you" for volunteers who are willing to do this service, I would like to offer them a relevant coupon which may entice them to buy and get hooked on Backpackers Pantry meals like I did. :) Would you be willing to donate any coupons that I could use in this effort? Thank you for your consideration. Feel free to check out my blog with all of my thru-hike journals and regular article additions geared toward new and/or female hikers. www.appalachiantrailclarity.com."

I've already heard back from Backpacker's Pantry and they are willing to give me coupons to hand out to willing participants.
      I also found these bags: chewy.com/dog/earth-rated-poop…K3N2sqny8oCFdgNgQod9_8Mhw
      that I thought I could use since they have handles and could be attached to a hiker's pack belt with a carabiner or something. So I've wondered if I would ask volunteers to do this and take it to the next shelter for me to pick up on my rounds? Or would they need to commit to carry it into the next town and chunk it themselves? I would gladly follow them a few hours later and collect any bags that were left, but that is such a short section of trail when, in reality, they could cover more trail if: A) they had multiple shelters with caretakers willing to collect the bags that were left or B) they carried it all the way to the next town and toss it in the garbage. My plan is only to invoke the help of 2-3 hikers per day, so we're not talking a large number of bags being dropped all over the trail.

What are your thoughts?

appalachiantrailclarity.com/20…l-one-piece-of-litter-do/
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Rasty wrote:

Use gallon zip-lock bags. They can compress the garbage and push most of the air out. This makes carry trash easier.
      I thought about this as this is the way I carry out my own garbage, but I also thought that if they were picking things up along the way, they'd need easy access to the bag. I know I wouldn't have had room in my pockets or outside my pack for a gallon sized ziploc bag, but I could hang a bag with handles from my hip belt fairly easy. Do you think people would actually help if they had to access a bag inside their pack every time they saw a piece of litter?
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Most folks I know whom are litter conscious would use just about any design to bag trash. While living along the Gulf Coast a girl friend and I would fill 15 gallon trash bags while beach combing as the trash size and quantity would overwhelm smaller bags. She was obsessively litter conscious to the point whereby we could not run together as she'd stop for every scrap.

However litter alongside a trail is much more compact as it must be carried in by the discarder.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC