Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Other Hobbies and Interests

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Other Hobbies and Interests

The 'Beer' thread got me thinking that some of us may share other hobbies and interests in addition to hiking and the outdoors. So here is the place to post it, maybe you will find another kindred spirit to share your love of Cosplay with, or what have you.

Here are my currently active pastimes...

Craft beer tasting
      Genealogy (I research dead people)
      Travel
      Professional Candlepin Bowler (I once won the $2 pool in my league :) )
      Aquarist (just getting back into it)
      Sometimes an Ebay seller for fun and profit
      Budding Mycophile (Just joined the Boston Mycological Club

And currently on the back burner due to a lack of time or money...

Craft Beer Brewing
      Beekeeping (mites put me out of business for the moment)
      Scuba Diving (I outgrew my wetsuit)

How about you? Any interesting hobbies or collections?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I'll give you three guesses. ;)

My passions ... Knitting, weaving, spinning, cycling, and drinking.

Most recently, I've started sewing...browsing through fabric stores is a hobby in itself.

Currently, I've been active in yoga and strength building. I'll start back up with swimming and running in Spring. I suck at all of it but don't care. :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • IMScotty wrote:

The 'Beer' thread got me thinking that some of us may share other hobbies and interests in addition to hiking and the outdoors. So here is the place to post it, maybe you will find another kindred spirit to share your love of Cosplay with, or what have you.

Here are my currently active pastimes...

Craft beer tasting
      Genealogy (I research dead people)
      Travel
      Professional Candlepin Bowler (I once won the $2 pool in my league :) )
      Aquarist (just getting back into it)
      Sometimes an Ebay seller for fun and profit
      Budding Mycophile (Just joined the Boston Mycological Club

And currently on the back burner due to a lack of time or money...

Craft Beer Brewing
      Beekeeping (mites put me out of business for the moment)
      Scuba Diving (I outgrew my wetsuit)

How about you? Any interesting hobbies or collections?
      Interesting! I have no idea what a candlepin bowler, aquarist, or mycophile are.
    • Anything outdoors, hunt, fish, kayak, canoe, watch sparks fly up from a campfire. Do a lot of float trips, I have a canoe and two kayaks, did have three but sold the 17' CD Storm GT because I couldn't find anyone to do long trips with. I too, have been know to sample a beer....or two....on occasion.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Geneaology, found some ancestors back to the 1600s. Some, nothing past about 1930. Very expensive.

Beading, to get back to my Native American ancestors, and ancestry for that to.
      beading.drivein-jim.net/

Ham radio, get on the air when it warms up, my shack still not insulated.
      myhamradio.drivein-jim.net/

Make more maps for my Traveller and dungeons and dragons sites.
      crestofastar.drivein-jim.net/

travellergame.drivein-jim.net/

Maybe start sewing my own costumes for science fiction conventions. Not to enter contests, just walk around looking cool.

Play more Everquest MMO, but its days may be numbered.

Drive-In movie theaters;
      http:/www.drivein-jim.net/

arduino, LEDs, etc.
      blinkstuff.drivein-jim.net/

I probably have too many hobbies.
      gif.014.gif
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • It used to be golf before hiking.
      Missus never liked it so ditched that as too selfish. Promptly left her for 6 months hiking in a foreign land.
      ;)

Not a lot of time for much beyond maintaining the house and yard at the moment. Building vegetable garden and chicken coop. Building trail in my own forest.
      Basically becoming a professional trail angel. I don't consider the paid for bit being trail magic but I do lots of extras for free.
      Getting into bird watching - have identified about 25 species in my own yard.
      Learning a bit about cooking as I have to for guests and that's always been woman's work the way I was brought up.
      Travel is huge in our plans but our budget has taken a massive hit with the house move so not sure when that will happen again.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Dmax wrote:

I've been spending a lot of time kayaking lately. I've got a few paddling trips planned already for this spring. I'm even thinking of heading down to the Houston area in a week or two. Warm weather and tight lines.
      Bought my wife a flat water Kayak last fall, she seems to enjoy it more than a canoe. Now I need to get a second one so we can go paddling together. I enjoy easy paddles to see the wildlife.

Rasty wrote:

Surf Kayaking
      That looks like fun!

TrafficJam wrote:

Spinning and Weaving! I love to hear of people who keep traditional crafts alive. If you are ever in Lowell, MA you should check out the The American Textile History Museum. I found it interesting, anyway.

Candlepin Bowling = 'Little Balls' A much more interesting sport than ten pin (I am a bowling snob). You will have to come to New England or New Brunswick to try it out. But hurry, candlepin bowling is dying out.

Mycophile = Mushroom lover. I am just learning the ropes. Cannot wait till Spring comes to see what I can find.

Aquarist = I have fish tanks. Or at least I always had several in my youth. I just set up my first tank after several years without any, and I am very excited to see how it does.

JimBlue wrote:

Geneaology, found some ancestors back to the 1600s. Some, nothing past about 1930. Very expensive.

beading.drivein-jim.net/

Maybe start sewing my own costumes for science fiction conventions. Not to enter contests, just walk around looking cool.

Drive-In movie theaters;

arduino, LEDs, etc.

gif.014.gif

Jim, let me know if you need any vital record look ups in Massachusetts. My fathers side goes back here quite a ways. One of my great grandmothers was Rebecca Nurse. My mothers side were Irish immigrants. I found the old family cellar hole in Ireland a few years ago.

Too bad most kids never get to know the joy of a Drive-In. I always meant to bring the family to the one in Milford, NH but now I have waited too long and they have all grown up. No one wants to go to the Drive-In with dad now :(

Just as I thought. There is an interesting bunch here on the Cafe.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I'll give you three guesses. ;)

Most recently, I've started sewing...browsing through fabric stores is a hobby in itself.

Currently, I've been active in yoga and strength building. I'll start back up with swimming and running in Spring. I suck at all of it but don't care. :)
      "browsing through fabric stores is a hobby in itself." <- And a very expensive one too. Unfortunately I know first hand since my wife is a very serious quilter. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • IMScotty wrote:

Dmax wrote:

I've been spending a lot of time kayaking lately. I've got a few paddling trips planned already for this spring. I'm even thinking of heading down to the Houston area in a week or two. Warm weather and tight lines.
      Bought my wife a flat water Kayak last fall, she seems to enjoy it more than a canoe. Now I need to get a second one so we can go paddling together. I enjoy easy paddles to see the wildlife.

Rasty wrote:

Surf Kayaking
      That looks like fun!

TrafficJam wrote:

Spinning and Weaving! I love to hear of people who keep traditional crafts alive. If you are ever in Lowell, MA you should check out the The American Textile History Museum. I found it interesting, anyway.
      Candlepin Bowling = 'Little Balls' A much more interesting sport than ten pin (I am a bowling snob). You will have to come to New England or New Brunswick to try it out. But hurry, candlepin bowling is dying out.

Mycophile = Mushroom lover. I am just learning the ropes. Cannot wait till Spring comes to see what I can find.

Aquarist = I have fish tanks. Or at least I always had several in my youth. I just set up my first tank after several years without any, and I am very excited to see how it does.

JimBlue wrote:

Geneaology, found some ancestors back to the 1600s. Some, nothing past about 1930. Very expensive.

beading.drivein-jim.net/

Drive-In movie theaters;

arduino, LEDs, etc.

gif.014.gif
      Jim, let me know if you need any vital record look ups in Massachusetts. My fathers side goes back here quite a ways. One of my great grandmothers was Rebecca Nurse. My mothers side were Irish immigrants. I found the old family cellar hole in Ireland a few years ago.

Too bad most kids never get to know the joy of a Drive-In. I always meant to bring the family to the one in Milford, NH but now I have waited too long and they have all grown up. No one wants to go to the Drive-In with dad now :(

Surf Kayaking isn't fun unless your bleeding
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'll give you three guesses. ;)

"browsing through fabric stores is a hobby in itself." <- And a very expensive one too. Unfortunately I know first hand since my wife is a very serious quilter. :rolleyes:
      One of my sisters and I did that when I was working. I have about 20 partial bolts of cloth.
      --
    • IMScotty wrote:

I'll look at my trees. I have ancestors in that general area.

My Drive-In site was extensive, then sites I don't care to be associated with started copying my work, and some pretended they did the work. I dropped it for a long while. I've partially brought it back.
      --
    • My interest are currently in cooking, gardening, health, music, guitar, reading, science, fine art and landscape painting. I do not like long walks on the beach cause it's tilted and hurts my back, but I do like walking and consider it one of my hobbies. Spent years in several clubs as a fisherman, trapper, mineral collector, building and flying R/C sail planes, rocketry and astronomy. I've curtailed my hobbies for several reason, namely time, money, and health, and while the interest are still there and I enjoy reading on such subjects I'm looking to simplify my life and reduce all the stuff one accumulates over the years as I slide on in to my final chapter. I may not be able to backpack again but camping is another story and as long as my interests take me outside, hey that's great. :) Now I just need to build that outside kitchen I always wanted.

Oh, almost forgot, Football. :thumbsup:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Socks ().

• Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Surf Kayaking
      Woodworking
      Drinking (Beer & Wine1)

1. Scuppernog and muscadine are excluded

Wood has paid the bills my entire life... started with pianos, then home furniture, kitchen cabinets, stair systems, and office furniture.
      I have an old player piano sitting in my garage acting as a shelf, you should redo it :D

Hunting, kayaking, baseball and working my dogs.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Cooking and eating said food with good friends
      Craft beer..usually with good Pub Grub.
      History (exploring the sites up close or reading about them)
      Reading in general (Science, SF, history, historical fiction, outdoors, political)

For the outdoors, love remote car camping and Nordic skiing.
    • PaulMags wrote:

Cooking and eating said food with good friends
      Craft beer..usually with good Pub Grub.
      History (exploring the sites up close or reading about them)
      Reading in general (Science, SF, history, historical fiction, outdoors, political)

For the outdoors, love remote car camping and Nordic skiing.
      I think your Italian roots are showing up on the first two. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Thanks for the explanation, Scotty...those sound really cool. You're right, there's lots of interesting people here in the Cafe.

I was always an embarrassment to my kids when they were growing up. :D Back in the 90's, only grandmothers knitted, had looms in their dining rooms, and spinning wheels in the corners. Not many moms washed fleece in their kids' kiddie pools in the backyard. Now they think I'm pretty cool.

This is what I'm spinning right now. I think it's such a beautiful color, I have to share.

• My current hobbies are:
      practicing music (violin, guitar, banjo, trombone, tuba, upright bass)
      kayaking
      fishing
      hunting
      weight training
      cooking
      professional beer drinking - just got a growler for the casual pint!)
      woodworking - I mainly make conductor batons for band directors
      carpentry
    • Tangent wrote:

My current hobbies are:
      kayaking
      fishing
      hunting
      weight training
      cooking
      carpentry
      We just might run into each other at the Casual Pint one day. :)
    • Tangent wrote:

My current hobbies are:
      kayaking
      fishing
      hunting
      weight training
      cooking
      carpentry
      What kind of music do you do? Guess I should have added gym to my list since I spend about two hours a day there.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, Scotty...those sound really cool. You're right, there's lots of interesting people here in the Cafe.

I was always an embarrassment to my kids when they were growing up. :D Back in the 90's, only grandmothers knitted, had looms in their dining rooms, and spinning wheels in the corners. Not many moms washed fleece in their kids' kiddie pools in the backyard. Now they think I'm pretty cool.

This is what I'm spinning right now. I think it's such a beautiful color, I have to share.

New trail name...."Spinster".
    • Foresight wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, Scotty...those sound really cool. You're right, there's lots of interesting people here in the Cafe.

I was thinking the same thing.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Well done TJ! One of the fundamental duties of being a parent is to embarrass your kids :)

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Drybones wrote:

Foresight wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I was thinking the same thing.
      So you did the ol' "Bill Murray in Stripes half step and get back in line" and left me hanging alone to suffer the wrath?

I'll remember this....lol
    • PaulMags wrote:

re: Italian roots

Perhaps, just a little. :)

pmags.com/musings-on-macaroni-and-sunday-gravy
      enjoyed reading that Mags, thanks for sharing. Not long ago I was asked what my favorite fruit was, I said the orange, then thought for a minute and said "but I eat more tomatoes than oranges so I guess it's the tomatoe" Recently started making my own tomatoe sauce, fun stuff. I think one of the greatest things you can give someone is a sense of belonging, a history, and ancestry. Again, enjoyed reading that.

Made some garlic knots last night...needless to say, they didn't stick around long.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• socks wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

re: Italian roots

Perhaps, just a little. :)

pmags.com/musings-on-macaroni-and-sunday-gravy
      enjoyed reading that Mags, thanks for sharing. Not long ago I was asked what my favorite fruit was, I said the orange, then thought for a minute and said "but I eat more tomatoes than oranges than tomatoes so I guess the tomatoes" Recently started making my own tomatoe sauce, fun stuff. I think one of the greatest things you can give someone is a sense of belonging, a history, and ancestry. Again, enjoyed reading that.
      Right on.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

well let's see...

And not in any particular order

Knitting... and I have already scoped out two yarn shops in Dublin
      Sewing
      Cooking
      Firearms and shooting
      Cycling
      Reading

I'd add history and blacksmithing, but that's also work :P
      Forgot you were across the pond Tuckahoe, have a great safe trip. One of the neatest things I've seen on-line is when you made that straw and clay hearth, charged with ore, and tapped it, that was awesome!
    • socks wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

well let's see...

Sewing
      Cooking
      Firearms and shooting
      Cycling
      Reading

Forgot you were across the pond Tuckahoe, have a great safe trip. One of the neatest things I've seen on-line is when you made that straw and clay hearth, charged with ore, and tapped it, that was awesome!
      Not there just yet... A lil more than 200 days to go.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

socks wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

well let's see...

Sewing
      Cooking
      Firearms and shooting
      Cycling
      Reading

Not there just yet... A lil more than 200 days to go.
      aye :)
    • IMScotty wrote:

Dmax wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Surf Kayaking
      That looks like fun!

TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

beading.drivein-jim.net/

Drive-In movie theaters;

arduino, LEDs, etc.

gif.014.gif

I live about 20 minutes from the Warwick Drive -In warwickdrivein.com

Which incidentally is about 5 miles from the Wawayanda shelter, and the Route 94 trail head in Vernon.
      If you're hiking thru, find someone with a car and catch a double feature!

My other hobbies are :
      My kids! If not at work or in the woods walking and climbing then I am with them
      Coaching baseball ..although may be retiring from that this season
      Motorcycles...I have a Harley and try and get out on that as often as I can
      Craft beer and local wineries. Im neither a beer snob or wine snob though. I do enjoy a Miller Lite!
      Golf, although I suck
      Boating, Kayaking and fishing..Originally it has been fishing, then bought a kayak to fish from , now I just like kayaking

There are a lot more things that I used to be into, just don't have the time for.
      RIAP