Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Other Hobbies and Interests

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Growin’ up we had an apple orchard down the road a piece where we’d get not only our apples, and cider doughnuts, but honey and honeycomb. I’d chew it as per my allergist to combat allergies, can’t swear it worked...but it was darn tasty and I always looked forward to going to the Orchard.
      They had this front window box thingy with one of the bee boxes built into it, it had a see through panel so you could watch the bees work and build comb, on some level I always admired their untiring commitment, as much as a kid could anyway.
    • Unfortunately the effectiveness of honey to alleviate allergies is not supported by research, but there's still plenty of good reasons to support your local beekeeper.
      The best hotel breakfast buffet I ever encountered had a giant slab of honeycomb with honey dripping out of it to use on whatever you wanted.


    • odd man out wrote:

      The beekeeper I talked too never sold honey branded as coming from a certain flower (clover, apple, etc...). She said you can put two hives in the middle of the same orchard and get different honey since you never know where the bees are going to go. I was wondering if anyone has tried to make honey from milkweed. I have some plants in my yard and when the flower they smell amazing and they are always covered with bees. But the plant itself is apparently very distasteful. I was wondering what the honey was like.
      Milkweed is decimated hard to find locally and has disappeared from wild fields here in PA. It is also the reason behind the demise of the Monarch Butterfly.
      Why question the intentions of a road-crossing chicken?
    • odd man out wrote:

      that's why I was asking. If milkweed made good honey, maybe there would be an incentive to plant it. Monarchs win. Bees win. We win.
      Uh............ not so much. They would have to change the name of Milkweed, words really do matter. Carp is an unfortunate 4 letter name (I like it) . Gefilte fish is what it really is. Pigeon is served as as Squab, Bambi is called Venison. Grits is a porridge made from corn (maize) etc.... apparently we have a problem in this culture. If its remotely nasty to a few we change the name.
      Why question the intentions of a road-crossing chicken?
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

      odd man out wrote:

      that's why I was asking. If milkweed made good honey, maybe there would be an incentive to plant it. Monarchs win. Bees win. We win.
      Uh............ not so much. They would have to change the name of Milkweed, words really do matter. Carp is an unfortunate 4 letter name (I like it) . Gefilte fish is what it really is. Pigeon is served as as Squab, Bambi is called Venison. Grits is a porridge made from corn (maize) etc.... apparently we have a problem in this culture. If its remotely nasty to a few we change the name.
      Don’t forget “Chilean Sea Bass”
      en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagonian_toothfish :whistling:
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • My wife once ordered some 'Sweetbreads" in a fancy smancy restaurant because she thought they sounded good :)
      Needless to say she spit them out.

      Now can someone pass me the prairie oysters, I love seafood.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”


      John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Jake Ace wrote:

      Drybones wrote:

      Jake Ace wrote:

      Chipmunks are diggin’ up my herbs, if they’re not careful they could end up on someone’s dress sporran.
      Get a cat
      saw my neighbors tabby millin’ around the wood pile the other day.
      Even better than.
      Since our dog passed on, other people's cats have been able to hang around a little and take care of other unwanted visitors.
      Benefits of having cats without the responsibility. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      Jake Ace wrote:

      Drybones wrote:

      Jake Ace wrote:

      Chipmunks are diggin’ up my herbs, if they’re not careful they could end up on someone’s dress sporran.
      Get a cat
      saw my neighbors tabby millin’ around the wood pile the other day.
      Even better than.Since our dog passed on, other people's cats have been able to hang around a little and take care of other unwanted visitors.
      Benefits of having cats without the responsibility. :)
      When we lost our last cat our neighbor was on us all the time to get another one to keep her chipmonks in check, she says she hates cats but our cfats always end up spending a lot of time with her...we now have Thomas, just turned a year old, chipmonks and squirrels have thinned out.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • odd man out wrote:

      I need something to get rid of rabbits. As it turns out, they breed like rabbits. My Corgi is pretty much useless.


      Our old dog was mostly blue heeler (and 1/4 coyote) and I once caught her basically inhaling baby rabbits like she was in an eating competition.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

      odd man out wrote:

      I need something to get rid of rabbits. As it turns out, they breed like rabbits. My Corgi is pretty much useless.


      Our old dog was mostly blue heeler (and 1/4 coyote) and I once caught her basically inhaling baby rabbits like she was in an eating competition.
      Our Shepherd ate a whole family of rabbits last spring.
      It's also not unusual to go out in the backyard and find 1/2 a squirrel
    • LIhikers wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      odd man out wrote:

      I need something to get rid of rabbits. As it turns out, they breed like rabbits. My Corgi is pretty much useless.


      Our old dog was mostly blue heeler (and 1/4 coyote) and I once caught her basically inhaling baby rabbits like she was in an eating competition.
      Our Shepherd ate a whole family of rabbits last spring.It's also not unusual to go out in the backyard and find 1/2 a squirrel
      I saw the Chesapeake that I had basically swallow a rabbit whole, head first like a snake eating a frog.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • IMScotty wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      Our Shepherd ate a whole family of rabbits last spring.It's also not unusual to go out in the backyard and find 1/2 a squirrel
      What? Sweet little Tora?
      Yep 8o
      She loves to chase, and catch, other animals.
      The only animal she hasn't wanted to chase was moose.
      I'm sure she'd chase deer into the next county, or state, and we'd never find her.
      That's one of the reasons we keep her on leash when we hike.
    • Our neighbor (who is a veterinarian) had a West Highland White Terrier named Lilly. She noticed that Lilly had been acting odd for a week. As a vet she gave Lilly a full physical but couldn't find anything wrong. Then Lilly coughed up a whole frog and immediately was her old self again. It seems she had a frog in her throat.

      Joke notwithstanding, it's a true story.
    • odd man out wrote:

      Our neighbor (who is a veterinarian) had a West Highland White Terrier named Lilly. She noticed that Lilly had been acting odd for a week. As a vet she gave Lilly a full physical but couldn't find anything wrong. Then Lilly coughed up a whole frog and immediately was her old self again. It seems she had a frog in her throat.

      Joke notwithstanding, it's a true story.
      Yur supposed to kiss the Prince, not eat him! :D so the story goes.
    • Astro wrote:

      odd man out wrote:

      I need something to get rid of rabbits. As it turns out, they breed like rabbits. My Corgi is pretty much useless.


      Our old dog was mostly blue heeler (and 1/4 coyote) and I once caught her basically inhaling baby rabbits like she was in an eating competition.
      Meanwhile my well behaved wirehair pointer simply kills rabbits and brings them back to us, just as her breed was bred to do. :D
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      odd man out wrote:

      I need something to get rid of rabbits. As it turns out, they breed like rabbits. My Corgi is pretty much useless.


      Our old dog was mostly blue heeler (and 1/4 coyote) and I once caught her basically inhaling baby rabbits like she was in an eating competition.
      Meanwhile my well behaved wirehair pointer simply kills rabbits and brings them back to us, just as her breed was bred to do. :D
      If I ever get an infestation of cows, then I'm all set. Corgis were bred to be cattle herding dogs.
      In fact many years ago, soon after we moved into our current house, we got a knock on the door. It was a local farmer wanted to know if he could retrieve his cow. It seems one of his cows got loose and was stuck in deep mud in the drainage ditch behind our house. It was buried all the way up to its chest and couldn't move. They actually brought a horse with them to pull the cow out and lead it to the truck they had parked in the driveway. If we had a corgi back then, he would have gone nuts. That would probably never happen again. Back then the land behind the house was undeveloped but now there is a neighborhood there - not as enticing to stray cows as it once was.
    • odd man out wrote:

      SarcasmTheElf wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      odd man out wrote:

      I need something to get rid of rabbits. As it turns out, they breed like rabbits. My Corgi is pretty much useless.


      Our old dog was mostly blue heeler (and 1/4 coyote) and I once caught her basically inhaling baby rabbits like she was in an eating competition.
      Meanwhile my well behaved wirehair pointer simply kills rabbits and brings them back to us, just as her breed was bred to do. :D
      If I ever get an infestation of cows, then I'm all set. Corgis were bred to be cattle herding dogs.In fact many years ago, soon after we moved into our current house, we got a knock on the door. It was a local farmer wanted to know if he could retrieve his cow. It seems one of his cows got loose and was stuck in deep mud in the drainage ditch behind our house. It was buried all the way up to its chest and couldn't move. They actually brought a horse with them to pull the cow out and lead it to the truck they had parked in the driveway. If we had a corgi back then, he would have gone nuts. That would probably never happen again. Back then the land behind the house was undeveloped but now there is a neighborhood there - not as enticing to stray cows as it once was.
      if you get an infestation of cows I’ll help ya exterminate, no charge, I’ll even do all the clean up...and cooking.
    • Drybones wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      Jake Ace wrote:

      Drybones wrote:

      Jake Ace wrote:

      Chipmunks are diggin’ up my herbs, if they’re not careful they could end up on someone’s dress sporran.
      Get a cat
      saw my neighbors tabby millin’ around the wood pile the other day.
      Even better than.Since our dog passed on, other people's cats have been able to hang around a little and take care of other unwanted visitors.Benefits of having cats without the responsibility. :)
      When we lost our last cat our neighbor was on us all the time to get another one to keep her chipmonks in check, she says she hates cats but our cfats always end up spending a lot of time with her...we now have Thomas, just turned a year old, chipmonks and squirrels have thinned out.
      Came home for lunch today and Thomas had a chipper playing with it in the back yard.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Bo Peep wrote:

      Christmas recital today, ready or not. <X Maybe it will put me in the Christmas spirit.

      Have fun and enjoy yourself, that's all that matters.
      I was still nervous but had fun and really enjoyed it. I may not sound good, but playing music fills something inside of me, just like hiking does.
      Hey TJ/BP are you still playing the violin??
      Inquiring minds want to know.
    • LIhikers wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Bo Peep wrote:

      Christmas recital today, ready or not. <X Maybe it will put me in the Christmas spirit.
      Have fun and enjoy yourself, that's all that matters.
      I was still nervous but had fun and really enjoyed it. I may not sound good, but playing music fills something inside of me, just like hiking does.
      Hey TJ/BP are you still playing the violin??Inquiring minds want to know.
      Yep.

      Getting ready for a week-long bluegrass camp and I'm very stressed about it. There will be people there from all over the world, including professionals...and I'm expected to have a lot of music memorized...they don't use sheet music. They do these mandatory things, like assign you to a group and give you 30 minutes to come up with three songs that you perform on stage. Thinking about it makes me hyperventilate.

      My problem is when i play with other people, i can't remember the music. I get nervous and distracted.

      Oh man, what have i gotten myself into?
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Bo Peep wrote:

      Christmas recital today, ready or not. <X Maybe it will put me in the Christmas spirit.
      Have fun and enjoy yourself, that's all that matters.
      I was still nervous but had fun and really enjoyed it. I may not sound good, but playing music fills something inside of me, just like hiking does.
      Hey TJ/BP are you still playing the violin??Inquiring minds want to know.
      Yep.
      Getting ready for a week-long bluegrass camp and I'm very stressed about it. There will be people there from all over the world, including professionals...and I'm expected to have a lot of music memorized...they don't use sheet music. They do these mandatory things, like assign you to a group and give you 30 minutes to come up with three songs that you perform on stage. Thinking about it makes me hyperventilate.

      My problem is when i play with other people, i can't remember the music. I get nervous and distracted.

      Oh man, what have i gotten myself into?
      Maybe take your Ol' Grandad with you and have a little "talk"with him before? ;)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Bo Peep wrote:

      Christmas recital today, ready or not. <X Maybe it will put me in the Christmas spirit.
      Have fun and enjoy yourself, that's all that matters.
      I was still nervous but had fun and really enjoyed it. I may not sound good, but playing music fills something inside of me, just like hiking does.
      Hey TJ/BP are you still playing the violin??Inquiring minds want to know.
      Yep.
      Getting ready for a week-long bluegrass camp and I'm very stressed about it. There will be people there from all over the world, including professionals...and I'm expected to have a lot of music memorized...they don't use sheet music. They do these mandatory things, like assign you to a group and give you 30 minutes to come up with three songs that you perform on stage. Thinking about it makes me hyperventilate.

      My problem is when i play with other people, i can't remember the music. I get nervous and distracted.

      Oh man, what have i gotten myself into?
      You'll do fine, I'm sure.
      Like so many things in life, the waiting and anticipation is worse than the actual event.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      Yep.
      Getting ready for a week-long bluegrass camp and I'm very stressed about it. There will be people there from all over the world, including professionals...and I'm expected to have a lot of music memorized...they don't use sheet music. They do these mandatory things, like assign you to a group and give you 30 minutes to come up with three songs that you perform on stage. Thinking about it makes me hyperventilate.

      My problem is when i play with other people, i can't remember the music. I get nervous and distracted.

      Oh man, what have i gotten myself into?
      Sounds like when I've tried to learn a foreign language prior to an overseas trip. I can have a whole conversation with my computer at home in whatever language I'm learning, but when I'm talking to a real person in Istanbul, Stockholm, Cluj, Rome, or wherever, all I can seem to say is "duhhhhh", which translates as "I am a dumb American. Do you speak English?"
    • odd man out wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      Yep.
      Getting ready for a week-long bluegrass camp and I'm very stressed about it. There will be people there from all over the world, including professionals...and I'm expected to have a lot of music memorized...they don't use sheet music. They do these mandatory things, like assign you to a group and give you 30 minutes to come up with three songs that you perform on stage. Thinking about it makes me hyperventilate.

      My problem is when i play with other people, i can't remember the music. I get nervous and distracted.

      Oh man, what have i gotten myself into?
      Sounds like when I've tried to learn a foreign language prior to an overseas trip. I can have a whole conversation with my computer at home in whatever language I'm learning, but when I'm talking to a real person in Istanbul, Stockholm, Cluj, Rome, or wherever, all I can seem to say is "duhhhhh", which translates as "I am a dumb American. Do you speak English?"
      That sounds about right. :)
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • LIhikers wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Bo Peep wrote:

      Christmas recital today, ready or not. <X Maybe it will put me in the Christmas spirit.
      Have fun and enjoy yourself, that's all that matters.
      I was still nervous but had fun and really enjoyed it. I may not sound good, but playing music fills something inside of me, just like hiking does.
      Hey TJ/BP are you still playing the violin??Inquiring minds want to know.
      Yep.Getting ready for a week-long bluegrass camp and I'm very stressed about it. There will be people there from all over the world, including professionals...and I'm expected to have a lot of music memorized...they don't use sheet music. They do these mandatory things, like assign you to a group and give you 30 minutes to come up with three songs that you perform on stage. Thinking about it makes me hyperventilate.

      My problem is when i play with other people, i can't remember the music. I get nervous and distracted.

      Oh man, what have i gotten myself into?
      You'll do fine, I'm sure.Like so many things in life, the waiting and anticipation is worse than the actual event.
      i think you are right...thank you. You made me think about a few things..that the anticipation and the preparation is to be enjoyed not dreaded. I'm going to try to relax and not worry.

      Gotta keep my eye on the goal, which is not to be perfect but to be comfortable playing with people.

      I made a cheat sheet of the first line or two of twenty songs that I've memorized. Hopefully it will help.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Bo Peep wrote:

      Christmas recital today, ready or not. <X Maybe it will put me in the Christmas spirit.
      Have fun and enjoy yourself, that's all that matters.
      I was still nervous but had fun and really enjoyed it. I may not sound good, but playing music fills something inside of me, just like hiking does.
      Hey TJ/BP are you still playing the violin??Inquiring minds want to know.
      Yep.Getting ready for a week-long bluegrass camp and I'm very stressed about it. There will be people there from all over the world, including professionals...and I'm expected to have a lot of music memorized...they don't use sheet music. They do these mandatory things, like assign you to a group and give you 30 minutes to come up with three songs that you perform on stage. Thinking about it makes me hyperventilate.

      My problem is when i play with other people, i can't remember the music. I get nervous and distracted.

      Oh man, what have i gotten myself into?
      Maybe take your Ol' Grandad with you and have a little "talk"with him before? ;)
      One of my best songs is Whiskey Before Breakfast... who woulda thought?
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Bo Peep wrote:

      Christmas recital today, ready or not. <X Maybe it will put me in the Christmas spirit.
      Have fun and enjoy yourself, that's all that matters.
      I was still nervous but had fun and really enjoyed it. I may not sound good, but playing music fills something inside of me, just like hiking does.
      Hey TJ/BP are you still playing the violin??Inquiring minds want to know.
      Yep.Getting ready for a week-long bluegrass camp and I'm very stressed about it. There will be people there from all over the world, including professionals...and I'm expected to have a lot of music memorized...they don't use sheet music. They do these mandatory things, like assign you to a group and give you 30 minutes to come up with three songs that you perform on stage. Thinking about it makes me hyperventilate.
      My problem is when i play with other people, i can't remember the music. I get nervous and distracted.

      Oh man, what have i gotten myself into?
      Maybe take your Ol' Grandad with you and have a little "talk"with him before? ;)
      One of my best songs is Whiskey Before Breakfast... who woulda thought?
      I like it, nice song!
    • LIhikers wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      LIhikers wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      jimmyjam wrote:

      Bo Peep wrote:

      Christmas recital today, ready or not. <X Maybe it will put me in the Christmas spirit.
      Have fun and enjoy yourself, that's all that matters.
      I was still nervous but had fun and really enjoyed it. I may not sound good, but playing music fills something inside of me, just like hiking does.
      Hey TJ/BP are you still playing the violin??Inquiring minds want to know.
      Yep.Getting ready for a week-long bluegrass camp and I'm very stressed about it. There will be people there from all over the world, including professionals...and I'm expected to have a lot of music memorized...they don't use sheet music. They do these mandatory things, like assign you to a group and give you 30 minutes to come up with three songs that you perform on stage. Thinking about it makes me hyperventilate.My problem is when i play with other people, i can't remember the music. I get nervous and distracted.

      Oh man, what have i gotten myself into?
      Maybe take your Ol' Grandad with you and have a little "talk"with him before? ;)
      One of my best songs is Whiskey Before Breakfast... who woulda thought?
      I like it, nice song!
      Nice find...really enjoyed it. Believe me, my version is much simpler.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • I made it through bluegrass camp. It was a great learning experience...but super nerve-wracking. I nearly left on the first day. Performed on a big stage and didn't screw up (I think).

      I worked hard to memorize songs but couldnt play any of them when in a group of people so learned a lot about playing by ear and improvising with chords.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      I made it through bluegrass camp. It was a great learning experience...but super nerve-wracking. I nearly left on the first day. Performed on a big stage and didn't screw up (I think).

      I worked hard to memorize songs but couldnt play any of them when in a group of people so learned a lot about playing by ear and improvising with chords.
      I say it's time for TJ to play for the cafe.
      How about next summer we all meet in Monson, Maine and TJ puts on a concert right there at the AT display in town.
      All in favor say aye :D