Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Other Hobbies and Interests

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Friday, I picked up another 4 pounds of Salmon and teaching Ashley to make Smoked Lox, so we are doing a cold smoke in a day or two, got to get to the hardware store for the aluminum dryer vent to connect the Electronic Smoker to a separate Micro Weber. Right now its chilling in Sea Salt, And Brown Sugar for the next three days. I will take a few pictures.

Oh I almost forgot I found it for $20 in Wilmington De. Nice huh?

Wait till this kid gets her first taste!

READ MORE ITS EASY!

There is a second way to do it and its called Brine.CLICK I am not using this method.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

The violin arrived and I'm so so excited. Years ago I played the viola and piano so hope the basics come back quickly. Right now there's one tone...screeeeeeeech. :)
      I love cajun music!
      I want to play bluegrass but it'll be a while before it sounds decent. I've relearned music reading and the notes on the violin but have to put it together as well as try to get a nice sound with the bow. Lessons might be in my future.

There's a guide that beginners can tape to the instrument that has the name of the notes and where to place your fingers. It's sort of like training wheels. I'm debating whether to get one. Maybe it's better to learn finger placement by how the note sounds? I'd be training my fingers as well as my ear. :/
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

The violin arrived and I'm so so excited. Years ago I played the viola and piano so hope the basics come back quickly. Right now there's one tone...screeeeeeeech. :)
      I love cajun music!
      I want to play bluegrass but it'll be a while before it sounds decent. I've relearned music reading and the notes on the violin but have to put it together as well as try to get a nice sound with the bow. Lessons might be in my future.
      There's a guide that beginners can tape to the instrument that has the name of the notes and where to place your fingers. It's sort of like training wheels. I'm debating whether to get one. Maybe it's better to learn finger placement by how the note sounds? I'd be training my fingers as well as my ear. :/
      I've done this with several instruments I have. I used a hole punch and white vinyl electrical tape to make dots (cause it peels off later with little to no residue) and wrote the notes on em, even used color tape for the scales. I've seen people make temporary fret bars for violins as well, in-fact I've a violin I found in the garbage on garbage night that I fixed up and it works great, though I've yet to learn to play it in earnest, it did get my Abbie girl a howling as well.
    • Ashokan Farewell
      (Words Grian McGregor; tune Jay Ungar)

The sun is sinking low in the sky above Ashokan,
      The pines and the willows know soon we will part.
      There's a whisper in the wind of promises unspoken,
      And a love that will always remain in my heart.

My thoughts will return to the sound of your laughter,
      The magic of dancing, of moving as one.
      And a time we'll remember long ever after
      The moonlight and music and dancing are done.

Will we climb the hills once more?
      Will we walk the woods together?
      Will I feel you holding me close once again?
      Will every song we've sung stay with us forever?
      Will you dance in my dreams or my arms until then?

Under the moon the mountains lie sleeping,
      Over the lake the stars shine.
      They wonder if you and I will be keeping,
      The magic and music, or leave them behind.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I love cajun music!
      I love Bluegrass music, fiddle music over violin music.
      Let me know when the first concert is !
    • LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I love cajun music!
      I want to play bluegrass but it'll be a while before it sounds decent. I've relearned music reading and the notes on the violin but have to put it together as well as try to get a nice sound with the bow. Lessons might be in my future.There's a guide that beginners can tape to the instrument that has the name of the notes and where to place your fingers. It's sort of like training wheels. I'm debating whether to get one. Maybe it's better to learn finger placement by how the note sounds? I'd be training my fingers as well as my ear. :/
      I love Bluegrass music, fiddle music over violin music.Let me know when the first concert is !
      Play us some Allison Krause
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • the town I grew up in had a fiddlers get together on fourth of July. Mostly blue grass with some country.

If I could find a left handed guitar that was worth buying I would try and learn again. I did find one for $100. But my sister said the quality isn't very good. I don't remember the store name hat had that one.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Don't use tape on the fingerboard. Use your ears. I am a cello player. My high school string quartet coach went on to get a PhD in music theory at IU. As a grad assistant running the freshman music theory classes, she said the string players tended to have the best ears because they had to play by ear from the beginning. The theory i learned from her served me well. In college I played bass in a bluegrass band, learning the songs without music but rather just by picking out the modes and chord progressions by ear. She alsi gave me a recorder which I learned to play the same way.
    • I played piano at age 6. But I found it incredibly boring. For some reason mother wanted me to be a concert pianist. But I had seen several on television and noticed they never had a childhood. to me it looked like their smiles were forced... but I could be wrong.
      --
    • odd man out wrote:

Don't use tape on the fingerboard. Use your ears. I am a cello player. My high school string quartet coach went on to get a PhD in music theory at IU. As a grad assistant running the freshman music theory classes, she said the string players tended to have the best ears because they had to play by ear from the beginning. The theory i learned from her served me well. In college I played bass in a bluegrass band, learning the songs without music but rather just by picking out the modes and chord progressions by ear. She alsi gave me a recorder which I learned to play the same way.
      I think that's prolly a good idea for violin, my dots were for a guitar and developing muscle memory for chords shapes which is a bit different than fingering single notes on a violin fret board, particularly since that requires slides and whatever you guys call tremolo subtle finger movements where tape would or could dampen that...so in that regard I think your right.
    • JimBlue wrote:

the town I grew up in had a fiddlers get together on fourth of July. Mostly blue grass with some country.

If I could find a left handed guitar that was worth buying I would try and learn again. I did find one for $100. But my sister said the quality isn't very good. I don't remember the store name hat had that one.
      my father built instruments after retirement (he was a great wood worker, luthier) we talked about getting my son a guitar cause he's a lefty, and my dad said "just teach him righty" which we did...it worked out great for him, in fact he left today for a week to record his part (guitar) on a new CD his band is working on.

So my point, guitar playing is very foreign for all beginning, pop in a store and fool around and see if it's even doable for you, you might surprise yourself.
    • I did get a guitar back when I was in the Navy. right handed and restrung it. Three of the guys on the ship helped me.

I tried with their help to play right handed. My brain backed at it... my fingers on my strumming hand tried to do the cords and my tight hand on the strings tried to strum... that is when we switched it around.

But. Years later i started using a computer mouse with my right hand. So maybe I could play right handed now. I became better at using my right hand. Most of this post was done by my right hand on my cell phone.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

I did get a guitar back when I was in the Navy. right handed and restrung it. Three of the guys on the ship helped me.

I tried with their help to play right handed. My brain backed at it... my fingers on my strumming hand tried to do the cords and my tight hand on the strings tried to strum... that is when we switched it around.

But. Years later i started using a computer mouse with my right hand. So maybe I could play right handed now. I became better at using my right hand. Most of this post was done by my right hand on my cell phone.
      I hear ya, I've tried lefty and it is very awkward, so for me it wouldn't work, but some people's brains are wired ambidextrous...not mine!
    • meat wrote:

If I could just play "Ashokan Farewell" on it...I'd die a happy man!
      Oh Socks, thank you for that. I had not played Ashohkan Farewell for years. If you do not have the musical CD from Ken Burn's Civil War series, I would highly recommend it. I lost my CD some years ago, but you have just inspired me to replace it. Done! Found a cheap one on Ebay.

Oh, and that part where they read Sullivan's Balluo's letter to his sweetheart over Ashohkan Farewell, kills me every time.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • odd man out wrote:

Don't use tape on the fingerboard. Use your ears. I am a cello player. My high school string quartet coach went on to get a PhD in music theory at IU. As a grad assistant running the freshman music theory classes, she said the string players tended to have the best ears because they had to play by ear from the beginning. The theory i learned from her served me well. In college I played bass in a bluegrass band, learning the songs without music but rather just by picking out the modes and chord progressions by ear. She alsi gave me a recorder which I learned to play the same way.
      Thank you for the advice.
    • meat wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

meat wrote:

Oops! Didn't quote right @Dan76 reading about looms.

Right, looks like a cool project to build, if one were inclined to.
      lulu.com/shop/dave-holly/build…ook/product-20038812.htmlWho will take the first leap?
      nice find, I may tackle a small table top model...one day!
      If anyone needs yarn or supplies, let me know. Would love to get rid of some stuff.