Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Other Hobbies and Interests

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • NoAngel wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      I'm looking at pressure canners, anyone have experience or a recommendation?
      better ask someone's grandma. That's getting to be a lost art around here.
      I remember my mother, grandmother, and a few aunt's using them, but they are all gone now. My wife is a big time quilter, but I don't think we have a pressure cooker.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Not ready to invest in anything expensive, I bought a $19, 21.5 quart, stainless/porcelain pot with canning rack on Amazon.

      I have some Hatch green chilis and plan to hit the farmers market this week and can some salsa, peppers, and hopefully okra. I'm craving pickled okra.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • When my son was about 10-12 he cross stitched a sweat shirt with a turtle on it for me, I was a runner then and at an early age he was a smart ass, I am sending it to his wife and telling her not to mention I sent it but to just show up with it on and when he asks
      where she got it to tell him she saw it at a thrift store, thought it was cute and bought it.
      Images
      • 20170822_160823.jpg

        110.93 kB, 800×450, viewed 43 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

      When my son was about 10-12 he cross stitched a sweat shirt with a turtle on it for me, I was a runner then and at an early age he was a smart ass, I am sending it to his wife and telling her not to mention I sent it but to just show up with it on and when he asks
      where she got it to tell him she saw it at a thrift store, thought it was cute and bought it.
      that's awesome.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      I'm looking at pressure canners, anyone have experience or a recommendation?
      My buddy was just talking about pressure canner, so I sent him a screenshot of your question, here is his response:

      A pressure canner is a pressure canner. They're so dangerous they are governed by federal safety regulations lol. I have an All American milled aluminum 21.5qt. No gasket it is metal on metal. Big selling point because you don't need to replace any gaskets. Problem is, one little ding and your canner leaks at the seam. Not a big deal but (oh well emoji)
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • Went to Tuesday night bluegrass/gospel at a small, country, community center.

      It cost $1 to listen to some fantastic musicians...mainly guitar, a few banjo players, two fiddle players, and a bass player.

      Can't wait until next Tuesday.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      Busted out the wallet and spent another $1 to listen to country folk pickin and grinnin. True americana. It makes my heart happy. Didn't see one single person looking at their phone...not one.
      Might be a Guinness world record.

      Lest we forget.....



      SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      I'm looking at pressure canners, anyone have experience or a recommendation?
      My buddy was just talking about pressure canner, so I sent him a screenshot of your question, here is his response:
      A pressure canner is a pressure canner. They're so dangerous they are governed by federal safety regulations lol. I have an All American milled aluminum 21.5qt. No gasket it is metal on metal. Big selling point because you don't need to replace any gaskets. Problem is, one little ding and your canner leaks at the seam. Not a big deal but (oh well emoji)
      Not being a smart ass but since the bombing in Boston with the pressure cooker do you have to show ID to purchase one like you do for Sudafed medicine ?
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
    • Since you all are posting some great violin music, I had to share the great Jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli. I had the chance to see him in live a couple times and he just blew me away. Worth picking up a CD.

      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”


      John Greenleaf Whittier

      The post was edited 1 time, last by IMScotty ().

    • IMScotty wrote:

      Since you all are posting some great violin music, I had to share the great Jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli. I had the chance to see him in live a couple times and he just blew me away. Worth picking up a CD.


      Awesome. Thanks for sharing, haven't heard of him and will definitely download his music.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      Went to Tuesday night bluegrass/gospel at a small, country, community center.

      It cost $1 to listen to some fantastic musicians...mainly guitar, a few banjo players, two fiddle players, and a bass player.

      Can't wait until next Tuesday.
      When I lived outside Clarkrange above Crossville we use to go over to either Wartburg or Harriman (can't remember which) on Thursday nights for bluegrass jam sessions, as a spectator. Same thing it was a buck or two and there was same great talent at these
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
    • A group of us used to ride bicycles throughout the Fredericksburg TX area. During one such ride we stopped at Luckenbach and indulged in refreshment at the saloon. Willie Nelson walked in, sat down, and played a few songs and sang a couple. Admittedly I did not know who was, but recognized his talent. I went to the bar and asked for a beer to be sent to him but the barkeep said he wouldn't accept it. He finished, cased his guitar, waved to us, and walked out to our applause.

      As I was not into most music, this was my introduction to Willie and I've been a fan since. I saw him recently in the Salt Lake area when he suffered from altitude sickness and could not finish his set. Unfortunately a few folks booed when he walked off but I figured even-steven since I had received a private concert.

      Lest we forget.....



      SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • montana mac wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      Went to Tuesday night bluegrass/gospel at a small, country, community center.

      It cost $1 to listen to some fantastic musicians...mainly guitar, a few banjo players, two fiddle players, and a bass player.

      Can't wait until next Tuesday.
      When I lived outside Clarkrange above Crossville we use to go over to either Wartburg or Harriman (can't remember which) on Thursday nights for bluegrass jam sessions, as a spectator. Same thing it was a buck or two and there was same great talent at these
      Hmmm, I wonder if we're talking about the same place? Except it's east of Harriman.
      Images
      • IMG_6717.PNG

        722.04 kB, 482×600, viewed 39 times
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Dan76 wrote:

      A group of us used to ride bicycles throughout the Fredericksburg TX area. During one such ride we stopped at Luckenbach and indulged in refreshment at the saloon. Willie Nelson walked in, sat down, and played a few songs and sang a couple. Admittedly I did not know who was, but recognized his talent. I went to the bar and asked for a beer to be sent to him but the barkeep said he wouldn't accept it. He finished, cased his guitar, waved to us, and walked out to our applause.

      As I was not into most music, this was my introduction to Willie and I've been a fan since. I saw him recently in the Salt Lake area when he suffered from altitude sickness and could not finish his set. Unfortunately a few folks booed when he walked off but I figured even-steven since I had received a private concert.
      You gotta love people that do impromptu things for others expecting no reward...I'm a Willie fan....we broke loose with a little "on the road again" when breaking camp last week.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

      SarcasmTheElf wrote:

      (Sing along!)

      This is the way we wash the cat.
      Wash the cat.
      Wash the cat.

      This is the way we wash the cat.
      Who got a thorough skunking.



      So how well did the soap work or tomato juice
      I used a nontoxic hunter's soap on his body and it worked fairly well, the problem was the face, since I had to find something that wouldn't sting his eyes (and result in him mauling me). I ended up using a liberal amount of baby soap on his face which made a big improvement, but still wasn't enough. In the end he just became an outdoor only cat for a few days.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • Dan76 wrote:

      I've used a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and Dawn dish detergent on a couple of Scouts and their equipment after such skunk experiences.
      I did some asking around beforehand and the consensus was that a mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide, some baking soda, and 1-2tsp of blue dawn was the best option. I just didn't think the cat would tolerate it.0
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

      Dan76 wrote:

      I've used a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and Dawn dish detergent on a couple of Scouts and their equipment after such skunk experiences.
      I did some asking around beforehand and the consensus was that a mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide, some baking soda, and 1-2tsp of blue dawn was the best option. I just didn't think the cat would tolerate it.0
      There is some confusion here. Dawn is a liquid sufactant for getting oil off ducks in a spill, and would not be of much help in removing skunk spray. Hydrogen Peroxide is mild enough for pets - but can discolour hair, and is moderatly effective. An Odor remover as I recommended above with an ingredient with Triclosan will destroy chemically any bacteria, Triclosan is used in hospitals for flesh eating bacteria, it is used in toothpaste to destroy Halitosis. It is used in better products for human scent removal.

      CLICK
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

      SarcasmTheElf wrote:

      Dan76 wrote:

      I've used a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and Dawn dish detergent on a couple of Scouts and their equipment after such skunk experiences.
      I did some asking around beforehand and the consensus was that a mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide, some baking soda, and 1-2tsp of blue dawn was the best option. I just didn't think the cat would tolerate it.0
      There is some confusion here. Dawn is a liquid sufactant for getting oil off ducks in a spill, and would not be of much help in removing skunk spray. Hydrogen Peroxide is mild enough for pets - but can discolour hair, and is moderatly effective. An Odor remover as I recommended above with an ingredient with Triclosan will destroy chemically any bacteria, Triclosan is used in hospitals for flesh eating bacteria, it is used in toothpaste to destroy Halitosis. It is used in better products for human scent removal.
      CLICK
      Hey, maybe the cat would enjoy being a blonde. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General