Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Other Hobbies and Interests

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • it is interesting to watch TV shows and movies where actors have to pretend to play instruments. As a string player myself it is so obvious when someone is faking it. Some instruments are easier to fake than orhers. I wonder if this is why Ron Burgundy is a flute player. Sometimes they can make it look better with clever editing. If an actor has to play a piano, the can film from the front where you don't see the hands. Then they cut to a close up from the side where you see only the hands so they can use a double who really plays. String instruments are hard to fake. I've never seen an actor who could adequately fake violin play Sherlock Holmes. Recently, I've see a few actors who had to conduct an orchestra. They were so obviously not conducting, but just flailing around. It's so distracting. Sometimes you see it done right. Over the weekend I watched Singing In The Rain again. In a couple of scenes, Donald O'Conner had to conduct an orchestra. It was clear that he DID know what he was doing. Another film that got it right was Titanic. They had real string players portray the orchestra, which is mere note able because they were not just in the background, but had featured speaking roles in some scenes. What I've never understood is why directors don't use real musicians when they just appear in the background. Why hire an actor to pretend to be an background musician when you could just hire a musician.
    • odd man out wrote:

      it is interesting to watch TV shows and movies where actors have to pretend to play instruments. As a string player myself it is so obvious when someone is faking it. Some instruments are easier to fake than orhers. I wonder if this is why Ron Burgundy is a flute player. Sometimes they can make it look better with clever editing. If an actor has to play a piano, the can film from the front where you don't see the hands. Then they cut to a close up from the side where you see only the hands so they can use a double who really plays. String instruments are hard to fake. I've never seen an actor who could adequately fake violin play Sherlock Holmes. Recently, I've see a few actors who had to conduct an orchestra. They were so obviously not conducting, but just flailing around. It's so distracting. Sometimes you see it done right. Over the weekend I watched Singing In The Rain again. In a couple of scenes, Donald O'Conner had to conduct an orchestra. It was clear that he DID know what he was doing. Another film that got it right was Titanic. They had real string players portray the orchestra, which is mere note able because they were not just in the background, but had featured speaking roles in some scenes. What I've never understood is why directors don't use real musicians when they just appear in the background. Why hire an actor to pretend to be an background musician when you could just hire a musician.
      musicians cost way more than background actors. at least they did in LA when i lived there. one director i knew said the rule in the movie business is never hire a professional when an extra will do.
    • uncle meat wrote:

      odd man out wrote:

      playing with a group is the way to go. You just need to stick with it. I played string quartets for years. Best training there is as you are alone on your part but you must coordinate with the others.
      Absolutely the way to go, if ya can. If ya can't, don't quit, many a old Appalachia hill folk and front porch players gave a lifetime of fine fiddle tunes and always played alone.
      I ain't gonna quit, I love it, just don't know about "performing".

      Ordered some new strings...
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • uncle meat wrote:

      max.patch wrote:

      atlanta braves shortstop ain't no ozzie smith...


      what's strange about that video is after he falls on his knee, he then uses that same knee to to roll over on and get up...hmm. What gives?
      Perhaps besides clumsy, he is not too smart.
      Or it could just be due to the pain, his brain wasn't fully engaged.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      uncle meat wrote:

      odd man out wrote:

      playing with a group is the way to go. You just need to stick with it. I played string quartets for years. Best training there is as you are alone on your part but you must coordinate with the others.
      Absolutely the way to go, if ya can. If ya can't, don't quit, many a old Appalachia hill folk and front porch players gave a lifetime of fine fiddle tunes and always played alone.
      I ain't gonna quit, I love it, just don't know about "performing".
      Ordered some new strings...
      There is not anything wrong with just playing for yourself.
      And if down the road you want to try performing with others again, that is fine too. Just keep enjoying it. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

      it is interesting to watch TV shows and movies where actors have to pretend to play instruments. As a string player myself it is so obvious when someone is faking it. Some instruments are easier to fake than orhers. I wonder if this is why Ron Burgundy is a flute player. Sometimes they can make it look better with clever editing. If an actor has to play a piano, the can film from the front where you don't see the hands. Then they cut to a close up from the side where you see only the hands so they can use a double who really plays. String instruments are hard to fake. I've never seen an actor who could adequately fake violin play Sherlock Holmes. Recently, I've see a few actors who had to conduct an orchestra. They were so obviously not conducting, but just flailing around. It's so distracting. Sometimes you see it done right. Over the weekend I watched Singing In The Rain again. In a couple of scenes, Donald O'Conner had to conduct an orchestra. It was clear that he DID know what he was doing. Another film that got it right was Titanic. They had real string players portray the orchestra, which is mere note able because they were not just in the background, but had featured speaking roles in some scenes. What I've never understood is why directors don't use real musicians when they just appear in the background. Why hire an actor to pretend to be an background musician when you could just hire a musician.
      Saves about $2.50 per hours
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      uncle meat wrote:

      odd man out wrote:

      playing with a group is the way to go. You just need to stick with it. I played string quartets for years. Best training there is as you are alone on your part but you must coordinate with the others.
      Absolutely the way to go, if ya can. If ya can't, don't quit, many a old Appalachia hill folk and front porch players gave a lifetime of fine fiddle tunes and always played alone.
      I ain't gonna quit, I love it, just don't know about "performing".
      Ordered some new strings...
      You got to approach performing with the right frame of mind....if you're good, you make folks happy....if you're bad and they laugh at you, you make folks happy....if you enjoy doing it, you make yourself happy, to hell with the other folks.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      uncle meat wrote:

      odd man out wrote:

      playing with a group is the way to go. You just need to stick with it. I played string quartets for years. Best training there is as you are alone on your part but you must coordinate with the others.
      Absolutely the way to go, if ya can. If ya can't, don't quit, many a old Appalachia hill folk and front porch players gave a lifetime of fine fiddle tunes and always played alone.
      I ain't gonna quit, I love it, just don't know about "performing".Ordered some new strings...
      You got to approach performing with the right frame of mind....if you're good, you make folks happy....if you're bad and they laugh at you, you make folks happy....if you enjoy doing it, you make yourself happy, to hell with the other folks.
      finger.gif I like it!
    • Drybones wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      uncle meat wrote:

      odd man out wrote:

      playing with a group is the way to go. You just need to stick with it. I played string quartets for years. Best training there is as you are alone on your part but you must coordinate with the others.
      Absolutely the way to go, if ya can. If ya can't, don't quit, many a old Appalachia hill folk and front porch players gave a lifetime of fine fiddle tunes and always played alone.
      I ain't gonna quit, I love it, just don't know about "performing".Ordered some new strings...
      You got to approach performing with the right frame of mind....if you're good, you make folks happy....if you're bad and they laugh at you, you make folks happy....if you enjoy doing it, you make yourself happy, to hell with the other folks.
      This is great. I'm saving it as a reminder.

      I've decided to participate in the next performance which is on a big stage at a Scottish festival. I must be crazy but there you go. At least I will know what to expect this time.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:


      I've decided to participate in the next performance which is on a big stage at a Scottish festival. I must be crazy but there you go. At least I will know what to expect this time.
      A gluten for punishment, you must be a hiker :)

      You may be right...you may be crazy.
      But it just may be a lunatic they're looking for :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”


      John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Dan76 wrote:

      Astro wrote:

      TrafficJam wrote:

      Can't wait to get the new strings put on my violin. My teacher insists that it's going to make a big difference going from steel to titanium.
      Sounds sort of like an ultralight hiker. ;)
      Didn't know about Ti violin strings. Do they remain in tune longer?
      Good question...I don't know.

      Planned to wait until my lesson so my teacher can help with the string change but I was impatient. Watched a YouTube video and had it done in less that 15 min. :D

      Yep, it sounds a lot better. It isn't magic and I don't sound like a professional, but I'm happier with the sound.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • Did a float trip/camp on the Hiwassee River this week end with 7 others, class 1 & 2 water, great trip with a great bar and grill on the banks about 45 minutes from the end...fries, fried dill pickles and Yengling.
      Today's project... almost makes me look forward to winter.

      TrafficJam wrote:


      Nice!...that photo created a little salivating issue here.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

      Did a float trip/camp on the Hiwassee River this week end with 7 others, class 1 & 2 water, great trip with a great bar and grill on the banks about 45 minutes from the end...fries, fried dill pickles and Yengling.
      Today's project... almost makes me look forward to winter.

      TrafficJam wrote:


      Nice!...that photo created a little salivating issue here.
      2 jars = bread and butter
      2 jars = bread and butter with poblano peppers, garlic, and jalapeño...(going for sweet and spicy)
      The rest are dill with poblano peppers, garlic, and jalapeño.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

      Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

      Drybones wrote:

      Did a float trip/camp on the Hiwassee River this week end with 7 others, class 1 & 2 water, great trip with a great bar and grill on the banks about 45 minutes from the end...fries, fried dill pickles and Yengling.
      Today's project... almost makes me look forward to winter.

      TrafficJam wrote:


      Nice!...that photo created a little salivating issue here.
      2 jars = bread and butter2 jars = bread and butter with poblano peppers, garlic, and jalapeño...(going for sweet and spicy)
      The rest are dill with poblano peppers, garlic, and jalapeño.
      How much are your poblano's going for per lb.? Our's have been $3.99 a lb. but last year I got em for as low as $1.99 cra cra!
    • uncle meat wrote:

      NoAngel wrote:

      I've been busy making this fancy plant basket hanger.


      Sweet! my patio is beggin' for one of those, I'm tired of repairing umbrellas after every storm. Very nice Jim!
      Thanks. I looked at various kits and the material cost was from $1500 to $3500. I did it for about $380 lumber and another $175 in bolts, nails, post anchors, saw blade and drill bits.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

      uncle meat wrote:

      NoAngel wrote:

      I've been busy making this fancy plant basket hanger.


      Sweet! my patio is beggin' for one of those, I'm tired of repairing umbrellas after every storm. Very nice Jim!
      Thanks. I looked at various kits and the material cost was from $1500 to $3500. I did it for about $380 lumber and another $175 in bolts, nails, post anchors, saw blade and drill bits
      Looks like you just saved $1-3K you can add to the hiking budget. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • On a $2 dollar investment I can win the powerball which is now up to $650 million, it's gone un-won since June. They tell me I've a better chance of getting struck by an asteroid, or getting struck by lightening while drowning...definitely worth Two Bucks!
      I'd buy certain parts of the Appalachian trail and post no trespassing signs.

    • I've been busy lately with work and this little side project for my daughters first apartment. It is a Queen size platform bed which will be bolted to the wall for stability. I still have to paint it, install the USB/electric outlets and the LED lights for the ceiling. They will be placing a couch underneath. Hopefully get it done and in place within the next 10 days.

      I'll add more pictures as it goes along.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123