Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Other Hobbies and Interests

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

A pet groundhog? That's funny.
      Folks in some circles would call it dinner.
      My son and wife to be took an 8 day hike in the Peruvian mountains, spoiled brats had sherpas to carry most of the gear and cook....one meal was ground hog, or the local equivalent.
      Might have been guinea pig. It's a local delicacy in the area.

Ship I was on pulled into Lisbon, Portugal. Day trip to several places via bus. Restaurant served delicacy of the house at no extra charge. It was goat meat. Some of the guys were fine until they heard that. Yurp! The chief petty officer with us made them clean it up.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

My son and wife to be took an 8 day hike in the Peruvian mountains, spoiled brats had sherpas to carry most of the gear and cook....one meal was ground hog, or the local equivalent.
      Ship I was on pulled into Lisbon, Portugal. Day trip to several places via bus. Restaurant served delicacy of the house at no extra charge. It was goat meat. Some of the guys were fine until they heard that. Yurp! The chief petty officer with us made them clean it up.
      Goat meat can be good. Ate plenty of gyros in Munich in 2001 during the Mad Cow disease problem.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Goat meat can be good. Ate plenty of gyros in Munich in 2001 during the Mad Cow disease problem.
      BBQed a whole goat once, a little tough...as I remember..., we had beer by the keg so it didn't matter
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

BBQed a whole goat once, a little tough...as I remember..., we had beer by the keg so it didn't matter
      Needs to be a young goat. A friend cooked an old billy goat at a party- it was baa baaaaad.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Needs to be a young goat. A friend cooked an old billy goat at a party- it was baa baaaaad.
      Just needs more beer....I'm not kid'in.
    • Drybones wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Me or the goat? Maybe both :D
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I had goat at our local Haitian restaurant. It was suggested by the high school exchange student from Tukmenistan we hosted in 2008. One day she asked me why I never cooked goat. At home they would use bones to make soup. Everyone would fight over who got to suck the marrow out of the bones. She also said she missed chal, fermented camels milk.
    • odd man out wrote:

I had goat at our local Haitian restaurant. It was suggested by the high school exchange student from Tukmenistan we hosted in 2008. One day she asked me why I never cooked goat. At home they would use bones to make soup. Everyone would fight over who got to suck the marrow out of the bones. She also said she missed chal, fermented camels milk.
      Different strokes for different folks.
      It is all a matter of what you grew up with and are accustomed to. So many cultural things people think are weird are really just different and overall value nuetral.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I had goat at our local Haitian restaurant. It was suggested by the high school exchange student from Tukmenistan we hosted in 2008. One day she asked me why I never cooked goat. At home they would use bones to make soup. Everyone would fight over who got to suck the marrow out of the bones. She also said she missed chal, fermented camels milk.
      Different strokes for different folks.It is all a matter of what you grew up with and are accustomed to. So many cultural things people think are weird are really just different and overall value nuetral.
      Whenever I see food from a different culture which appears odd, I remind myself that the majority of people who did not grown up eating peanut butter find it disgusting first tried. All depends on what you were raised with.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • NoAngel wrote:

Drybones wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Me or the goat? Maybe both :D
      When I was young and single we had a hog cooking in the back yard, the whole hog was cooked on a rotating spit about 6' high, probably 200 people there, most I'd never seen before, everyone was basting the hog with whatever booze they had...wine, liquor, tequila, beer......was the best pig I've eaten....as best I remember.
    • well. I have electricity in my storage shed/ham radio shack. 2 outlets two sockets each. 2 ceiling lights with a separate wall switch for each. That gives me the ability to add more ceiling lights to the same line and breaker. And if the teenager, relative, will stop groaning about digging a small trench so we can put pvc. pipe and run my coax through it I can get back on the air tonight. Of course just as I got interested on ham radio again the sun spot cycle is on a down turn.

well at least I can talk on the radio locally. Not sure if I can get across the ocean or not.

That's single side band. I might do better with digital like PSK. Which means phase shift keying. Less power but I can get longer distances due to it being a better method than SSB.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • meat wrote:

143rd Kentucky derby

15-McCracken...to win! 9-1

His father was a mudder! :thumbsup:
      Other than the times when electricity as well as TV reception was not available, I usually don't miss the Derby.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • NoAngel wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I would love to give it a bad case of lead poisoning, but in suburbia the houses are too close together to get him with my 22. Then there is my hubby who doesn't like to hurt the "cute little animals". I almost got him with a brick last fall, I may do a live trap then take it out where I could pop him, bring him back gutted and skinned cut in enough pieces the hubby wouldn't know what was. :D
      on my first trip to Mexico I could only find one thing that liked on the buffet at the hotel. I asked the waiter what it was. "Iguana Senor" lol !!!
      Iguana eat that?
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • meat wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

Building these raised bed gardens. l
      hydroponics?

Dan76 wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

meat wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

hydroponics?
      Strawberries?
      water lilies?
      That's a nice box of screws pictured.
      they have holes drilled in the bottom. Fill them with dirt and grow veggies. No bending over to care for the plants. Always good to have a screw when you really need one.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • Drybones wrote:

The huge, green, tomato worms are my worst enemy, tried to kill them off without pesticides last year, didn't eat many tomatoes after they started, my hearing is bad but the wife can find them by listening for them chewing, back to the seven dust this year....I will say though, those ugly green worms morph into magnificent moths.
      DryBones, you missed a chance to get more protein in your diet...

thedailymeal.com/recipes/fried-green-tomato-hornworms-recipe
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

meat wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

hydroponics?
      Strawberries?
      water lilies?That's a nice box of screws pictured.
      First thing that came to mind when I saw those was a place to keep minnows for fishing.
      That's what we thought too. Herring and other bait like running themselves into corners and don't make it. With a round tank it keep em alive.
    • Dmax wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

meat wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

hydroponics?
      Strawberries?
      First thing that came to mind when I saw those was a place to keep minnows for fishing.
      That's what we thought too. Herring and other bait like running themselves into corners and don't make it. With a round tank it keep em alive.
      Now that's a boat...I see the cooler...where's the grill?
    • Drybones wrote:

Dmax wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

meat wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

hydroponics?
      Strawberries?
      Now that's a boat...I see the cooler...where's the grill?
      The grill and deep fryer are on shore already. The green cooler is for fish that don't fit in the live well. So we use the cooler and load it down with ice. The live well under the captains chair will only hold about two cats, or one big one. Once I get those duffle bags of gear off and a few smaller items, it opens the floor up really well. We use fold up camping chairs on the boat and we've been known to have a cot or two on it also. .. It's not set up for pleasure boating, that's for sure. ... Oh, the stories that boat could tell...........
    • Does anyone else here play Frisbee golf or disc golf? It's not really something that has been a big deal anywhere else I've lived by it seems to be the local hobby around these parts. My husband and I just recently started trying to play it. Actually, I should amend that to say my husband picked it up like he had been playing his whole life and I do a decent imitation of flinging the Frisbee like it's on fire and I'm trying to get it out of my hand quickly. :)
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Ewok11 wrote:

Does anyone else here play Frisbee golf or disc golf? It's not really something that has been a big deal anywhere else I've lived by it seems to be the local hobby around these parts. My husband and I just recently started trying to play it. Actually, I should amend that to say my husband picked it up like he had been playing his whole life and I do a decent imitation of flinging the Frisbee like it's on fire and I'm trying to get it out of my hand quickly. :)
      I do not play myself, however it's fairly popular in Southwestern Connecticut. My brother and his friends were obsessive about it back in high school.

Where is "these parts" nowadays? Still in AK?
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Ewok11 wrote:

Does anyone else here play Frisbee golf or disc golf? It's not really something that has been a big deal anywhere else I've lived by it seems to be the local hobby around these parts. My husband and I just recently started trying to play it. Actually, I should amend that to say my husband picked it up like he had been playing his whole life and I do a decent imitation of flinging the Frisbee like it's on fire and I'm trying to get it out of my hand quickly. :)
      I do not play myself, however it's fairly popular in Southwestern Connecticut. My brother and his friends were obsessive about it back in high school.
      That seems to be the case in the general Idaho/Utah region as well. It's something fun to do just to get out of the house for a bit and get some fresh air. My husband has a friend who is obsessive about it. There are leagues and teams and all variety of players here. It is actually pretty interesting to see the diversity of people who play and play quite well. Everything from little kids to college kids to construction workers and senior citizen leagues.

I will probably never be good at it and I refuse to learn any of the lingo but it's fun.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot