Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2017 I will be 60

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

rafe wrote:

Eh, we spend our lives working hoping for some relief and some fun when that phase is over -- but will we have the health to enjoy our freedom? Youth is wasted on the young.
      Yeah, but if we waited until 40 to make people go to work (after enjoying their "retirement for around 20 years"), it is scary what the suicide rate might be.
      Does that mean they'd get to collect social security from age 20 to 40?
      Yes. Contrary to the analogy of retirement being like having a squirrel save up his nuts until the time he doesn't have any teeth.
      Most people give me crap about hiking alone. One friend is supportive. She told me, "I understand, I want to live my life now, not wait until retirement." A month later she was diagnosed with breast cancer.
      Sometimes hiking alone is the only option with everyone's busy schedule. If you wait for a partner to hike you may never get out there.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

rafe wrote:

Eh, we spend our lives working hoping for some relief and some fun when that phase is over -- but will we have the health to enjoy our freedom? Youth is wasted on the young.
      Yeah, but if we waited until 40 to make people go to work (after enjoying their "retirement for around 20 years"), it is scary what the suicide rate might be.
      Yes. Contrary to the analogy of retirement being like having a squirrel save up his nuts until the time he doesn't have any teeth.
      Most people give me crap about hiking alone. One friend is supportive. She told me, "I understand, I want to live my life now, not wait until retirement." A month later she was diagnosed with breast cancer.
      Sometimes hiking alone is the only option with everyone's busy schedule. If you wait for a partner to hike you may never get out there.
      I'd rather hike with my dog than anyone, he's the only one that understands me, really hate he's developed arthritis and can hike any more.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

rafe wrote:

Had a close friend I'd hike with when our crazy schedules permitted. She was a decorated combat medic, put herself through nursing school, started anesthetist school, then diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She lived another six months.

Her dream was to TH the AT. I think about her on every hike.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

rafe wrote:

I've met a couple good friends by hiking alone. It ended up we were hiking the same section.
      bacon can solve most any problem.