Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Cheaha SP in March ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cheaha SP in March ?

I am thnking about hiking and camping in Cheaha SP, Alabama in March of this year. My car only has 3 season tires. I have a warm sleeping bag and can take an extra blanket if I need to.

What are the typical temperatures and weather ? The untypical weather and temperatures ?

Thanks !

And if I go, I'll make longer videos this time.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • I went. Nice and sunny. Also hot. My videos are too wobbly to use. I got overheated and could have passed out. There was a group of people going by at intervals, so I would have gotten help. I think. One of the familys had some big dogs, who took a dump right on the trail and the owners didn't clean it up. I'll be dumping the videos to single frame jpgs, not continuously though, and posting those. Rainy the rest of this week. I'll try to go back in April and make a better video of the Cave Creek Trail and the Pinhoti south of Cheaha.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I went. Nice and sunny. Also hot. My videos are too wobbly to use. I got overheated and could have passed out. There was a group of people going by at intervals, so I would have gotten help. I think. One of the familys had some big dogs, who took a dump right on the trail and the owners didn't clean it up. I'll be dumping the videos to single frame jpgs, not continuously though, and posting those. Rainy the rest of this week. I'll try to go back in April and make a better video of the Cave Creek Trail and the Pinhoti south of Cheaha.
      I'm glad you got out! :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • If you managed to get Out There, that's more than most people ever manage. Sounds like fun! Do try to fine-tune the shoes.

Medi-Peds aren't great for hiking. They get wet and stay wet. Darn Tough or Smartwool are a better choice even if you are diabetic, unless you have really serious circulation problems or bad neuropathy. (And I don't understand how people with those problems manage to walk at all!)

It sounds as if you need better shoes for it, as well. Trail runners are much better than sneakers, because many of them have a decent rock plate. You can also reinforce your foot with good insoles, like the appropriate color of Superfeet. I can't tell you what color that is, because I don't know what your foot is shaped like and how it moves. I have a high arch, with a tendency to heel strike and over-pronate, so green or orange are good for me. (I prefer the green, but right now I need to use the orange for cushioning a slowly recovering case of plantar fasciitis.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.