Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

AppalachianTrailClarity.com articles for new hikers and curious veterans

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OzJacko wrote:

I drank too much beer to have "clarity" on where the best steaks were.
      There is no such thing as a bad steak.
      Disagree. My nominations for 'bad steak' include most anywhere in Europe (except for Aberdeen Scotland) and North Carolina. Now NC has several recommended food specialities but steak isn't one.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • i took advantage of a groupon for 3 meals at ryans buffet. the buffet includes steak grilled to order so i figured i could a steak dinner at a price less than buying a steak at the grocery and cooking it myself. i don't know what kinda cut of meat they used, or where they got it, but it was close to being unedible. i gave my son the voucher for the 2 remaining meals.

since then, that location has closed and ryan's parent company filed (again) for bankruptcy.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i took advantage of a groupon for 3 meals at ryans buffet. the buffet includes steak grilled to order so i figured i could a steak dinner at a price less than buying a steak at the grocery and cooking it myself. i don't know what kinda cut of meat they used, or where they got it, but it was close to being unedible. i gave my son the voucher for the 2 remaining meals.

since then, that location has closed and ryan's parent company filed (again) for bankruptcy.
      Chuck or Sirloin. Probably no-roll. For those that don't know what no-roll is it's when the inspector won't roll a side of beef with a quality grade. Beef is graded on two levels. The first level is being wholesome or not. No-roll received this stamp. The second level is quality grade ranging from Prime to #2. Most factories only sell three or four grades. A factory that sells Prime, Choice, Select and Commercial won't grade any meat that scores below that. They score it no-roll and sell it cheap. A lot of ground beef and cheap restaurant cuts are no-roll. No-roll is fine with ground beef but makes terrible steaks.

Quality of beef grades

Prime (2% of beef)
      Choice
      Select
      Commercial (Lots coming from Canada)
      Cutter (Needs to be stewed)
      Canner (Used for canned foods)
      #1 (Pet Food)
      #2 (Fertilizer)

You also need to pay attention to the slaughter house number. Old dairy cows are sometimes sold as Prime because they will grade out as Prime because of the marbling but taste like an old dairy cow. The slaughter house being in New Jersey or Wisconsin is a good clue that it's a dairy cow.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i took advantage of a groupon for 3 meals at ryans buffet. the buffet includes steak grilled to order so i figured i could a steak dinner at a price less than buying a steak at the grocery and cooking it myself. i don't know what kinda cut of meat they used, or where they got it, but it was close to being unedible. i gave my son the voucher for the 2 remaining meals.

Chuck or Sirloin. Probably no-roll. For those that don't know what no-roll is it's when the inspector won't roll a side of beef with a quality grade. Beef is graded on two levels. The first level is being wholesome or not. No-roll received this stamp. The second level is quality grade ranging from Prime to #2. Most factories only sell three or four grades. A factory that sells Prime, Choice, Select and Commercial won't grade any meat that scores below that. They score it no-roll and sell it cheap. A lot of ground beef and cheap restaurant cuts are no-roll. No-roll is fine with ground beef but makes terrible steaks.
      Quality of beef grades

Prime (2% of beef)
      Choice
      Select
      #1 (Pet Food)
      #2 (Fertilizer)

You also need to pay attention to the slaughter house number. Old dairy cows are sometimes sold as Prime because they will grade out as Prime because of the marbling but taste like an old dairy cow. The slaughter house being in New Jersey or Wisconsin is a good clue that it's a dairy cow.
      More proof that there is a lot of valuable knowledge around the cafe, you just have to ask the right questions. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Chuck or Sirloin. Probably no-roll. For those that don't know what no-roll is it's when the inspector won't roll a side of beef with a quality grade. Beef is graded on two levels. The first level is being wholesome or not. No-roll received this stamp. The second level is quality grade ranging from Prime to #2. Most factories only sell three or four grades. A factory that sells Prime, Choice, Select and Commercial won't grade any meat that scores below that. They score it no-roll and sell it cheap. A lot of ground beef and cheap restaurant cuts are no-roll. No-roll is fine with ground beef but makes terrible steaks.Quality of beef grades

Prime (2% of beef)
      Choice
      Select
      #1 (Pet Food)
      #2 (Fertilizer)

More proof that there is a lot of valuable knowledge around the cafe, you just have to ask the right questions. :)
      If someone could anticipate the thread drift direction they would be a genius.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • There's a lot at "steak" here y'all. :P

Been a helluva weekend My "monday" was this past Thursday. TOward the end of my shift, I got word my sweet roommate had been in a terrible car crash. I rushed home and I have been at the ICU most of the time since then. Roomie's from France so during the couple of days his parents were on their way, his girlfriend and I were really all he had. Long story short, he fractured his skull and broke some vertebrae including his neck. He can't feel or move his legs. An incredibly jovial, energetic, sweet 23 year old...in the blink of an eye, flipped the car 4 times and may never walk again. My heart is broken.
      I can't afford to miss more work, so I'm heading back this am. As much as I love my job, my heart is really here at home right now. And broken. This is a helluva lonely house without Simon.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Best Wishes Clarity.
      My brother in law over 30 years ago had a broken neck in a motorcycle accident in Italy.
      Came home on a stretcher a quadriplegic. About a month later started to get some feeling. Was walking in 6 months. Still technically a quad but is fully mobile and leading an active and fully functioning life. Just don't lose heart. It's an area with tremendous hope for treatment in the next decade.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I just want to go on the record and say TW is a real cutie....who wouldn't enjoy a shake down by her?

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Quality of beef grades

Prime (2% of beef)
      Choice
      Select
      #1 (Pet Food)
      #2 (Fertilizer)

I believe I had one of these this week end.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

I just want to go on the record and say TW is a real cutie....who wouldn't enjoy a shake down by her?

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Chuck or Sirloin. Probably no-roll. For those that don't know what no-roll is it's when the inspector won't roll a side of beef with a quality grade. Beef is graded on two levels. The first level is being wholesome or not. No-roll received this stamp. The second level is quality grade ranging from Prime to #2. Most factories only sell three or four grades. A factory that sells Prime, Choice, Select and Commercial won't grade any meat that scores below that. They score it no-roll and sell it cheap. A lot of ground beef and cheap restaurant cuts are no-roll. No-roll is fine with ground beef but makes terrible steaks.Quality of beef grades

Prime (2% of beef)
      Choice
      Select
      #1 (Pet Food)
      #2 (Fertilizer)

#2 is from a cow found dead or dying
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I just want to go on the record and say TW is a real cutie....who wouldn't enjoy a shake down by her?

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Prime (2% of beef)
      Choice
      Select
      #1 (Pet Food)
      #2 (Fertilizer)

I was taught #2 came from my butt. From your list ...it would taste the same. :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mountain-Mike ().

• Rasty wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Prime (2% of beef)
      Choice
      Select
      #1 (Pet Food)
      #2 (Fertilizer)

Was dead when I found it.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • you're so thoughtful. Thank you.

A week to the day later, he's still in ICU hooked to the ventilator. We keep thinking he's coming off and something else goes downhill to prevent it. :( He still can't feel or move his legs. They've said it will be a couple of years before he has full use of them again, if even then.

I'm tired. Trying to fulfill my duties at Amicalola and be there for my friend has taken a lot out of me this week, but I'm making it. My "job" is my reprieve...for a few hours, I can pretend all is normal.

Thanks TJ. He needs a lot of positive vibes sent his way.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • max.patch wrote:

My original thought was the alleged 'steak' was from an uneconomically productive dairy cow, but Rasty covered this issue well.

OzJacko wrote:

Best Wishes Clarity.
      My brother in law over 30 years ago had a broken neck in a motorcycle accident in Italy.
      Came home on a stretcher a quadriplegic. About a month later started to get some feeling. Was walking in 6 months. Still technically a quad but is fully mobile and leading an active and fully functioning life. Just don't lose heart. It's an area with tremendous hope for treatment in the next decade.
      I've seen the above situation occur twice... not due to a MV accident but as a result of combat injuries.

Our thoughts are with you TW.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Prime (2% of beef)
      Choice
      Select
      #1 (Pet Food)
      #2 (Fertilizer)

If someone could anticipate the thread drift direction they would be a genius.
      I've yet to meet the algorithm that could keep up with the dirty dozens.
    • Got a new article posted on Appalachian Trials. "Everything you need to know about maildrops on the Appalachian Trail", including mile markers, 1-3 locations per town, and links. Downloadable as a pdf. Soon will be on ATClarity too. Check it out and please share the link liberally. Thanks!

appalachiantrials.com/everythi…on-the-appalachian-trail/

• twistwrist wrote:

Got a new article posted on Appalachian Trials. "Everything you need to know about maildrops on the Appalachian Trail", including mile markers, 1-3 locations per town, and links. Downloadable as a pdf. Soon will be on ATClarity too. Check it out and please share the link liberally. Thanks!

The link in the first paragraph doesn't work (at least for me).
    • twistwrist wrote:

Got a new article posted on Appalachian Trials. "Everything you need to know about maildrops on the Appalachian Trail", including mile markers, 1-3 locations per town, and links. Downloadable as a pdf. Soon will be on ATClarity too. Check it out and please share the link liberally. Thanks!

How about a combined article" " Beer Drops on the AT". :D
      And on that note, I just saw on the news that Anheuser Busch is buying Devils Backbone- I sure hope they don't screw with the recipe because DB has got some damn good beer.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • EdDzierzak wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

The link in the first paragraph doesn't work (at least for me).
      I so much appreciate when people tell me these kinds of things. It's fixed now. :) Thanks!

jimmyjam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

How about a combined article" " Beer Drops on the AT". :D And on that note, I just saw on the news that Anheuser Busch is buying Devils Backbone- I sure hope they don't screw with the recipe because DB has got some damn good beer.
      Well that's the saddest news I've heard all day. :(

• twistwrist wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

How about a combined article" " Beer Drops on the AT". :D And on that note, I just saw on the news that Anheuser Busch is buying Devils Backbone- I sure hope they don't screw with the recipe because DB has got some damn good beer.
      The big beer companies buying the micros will be terrible. These garbage companies ruin everything they touch.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

The big beer companies buying the micros will be terrible. These garbage companies ruin everything they touch.
      Homebrewing is a simple and cost effective solution to this problem.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Homebrewing is a simple and cost effective solution to this problem.
      It takes time to get good at it though. Sometimes a lot of time.