Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

AppalachianTrailClarity.com articles for new hikers and curious veterans

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AppalachianTrailClarity.com articles for new hikers and curious veterans

www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.

The post was edited 17 times, last by twistwrist ().

• Da Wolf wrote:

i don't advise anyone to not filter or treat. i just never felt a need to so i never have
      I know.
      But Twistwrist is writing advice to people.
      It is her I am cautioning.
      No matter how much anyone knows there is always someone who disagrees or knows more. When you write advice you have to be careful you don't pontificate. No one likes a smartass know it all.
      It can be a fine line when writing information articles.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

i don't advise anyone to not filter or treat. i just never felt a need to so i never have
      I know.But Twistwrist is writing advice to people.
      It is her I am cautioning.
      No matter how much anyone knows there is always someone who disagrees or knows more. When you write advice you have to be careful you don't pontificate. No one likes a smartass know it all.
      Thanks. I appreciate your honest guidance. If I come across as a know-it-all, I'd like to be told that by friends I trust. Lord knows that's never my intention as "permanoob", however, if I'm educating new hikers, I would advise them to err on the side of caution and treat. Honestly, 99% of the thru-hikers I met filtered or chemically treated their water on a consistently regular basis. It is also advised by the ATC and signs along the trail.
      How does one come across as confident while not sounding like a "know it all"?

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Hmmm... back in my Scout days I said, after teaching a class on something, 'err on the side of caution. That one time you aren't careful could result in injury or sickness. But not so cautious you never hike or camp. Experience will hopefully treach you the difference. I do make mistakes, I just try to keep them to a minimum.'.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • twistwrist wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

I know.But Twistwrist is writing advice to people.It is her I am cautioning.
      Thanks. I appreciate your honest guidance. If I come across as a know-it-all, I'd like to be told that by friends I trust. Lord knows that's never my intention as "permanoob", however, if I'm educating new hikers, I would advise them to err on the side of caution and treat. Honestly, 99% of the thru-hikers I met filtered or chemically treated their water on a consistently regular basis. It is also advised by the ATC and signs along the trail.How does one come across as confident while not sounding like a "know it all"?
      Just be yourself, your beautiful personality will shine through. If someone takes offense, #$%! 'em .
      Lost in the right direction.
    • twistwrist wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

I know.But Twistwrist is writing advice to people.It is her I am cautioning.
      Thanks. I appreciate your honest guidance. If I come across as a know-it-all, I'd like to be told that by friends I trust. Lord knows that's never my intention as "permanoob", however, if I'm educating new hikers, I would advise them to err on the side of caution and treat. Honestly, 99% of the thru-hikers I met filtered or chemically treated their water on a consistently regular basis. It is also advised by the ATC and signs along the trail.How does one come across as confident while not sounding like a "know it all"?
      "Treating water is of vital importance to your health while living in the wilderness. None of the water on the A.T. is guaranteed safe, and with the large number of hikers and the plentiful wildlife that use the creeks, all water should be treated before drinking."

I would change to something like; Water is of vital importance to your health while living in the wilderness. None of the water on the A.T. is guaranteed safe, and with the large number of hikers and the plentiful wildlife that use the creeks, the ATC & I reccomend thatall water should be treated before drinking.

I would also mention more options; not treating iodine tablets, bleach & boil. I normally don't treat, but carrry a filter if I feel I need it. I try to get my water from springs or high up a stream beyound human activity & livestock. Mentioning boiling is an important option to know if a filter clogs or breaks. I also never filter water I intend to boil for cooking. That's about a quart a day that doesn't have to go go through a filter. It adds up & prolongs filter life on a long trip.
    • By the way I wasn't suggesting TW was preaching.
      To be honest I haven't even read the articles yet (it's been a busy week), but LW's response highlighted that one person's complete conviction (i.e. treating water in this case), is not necessarily a fact for one and all.
      I love her writing style and wish I could lock her up for 3 months to help me write my book.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • My comment wasn't directed at anyone, it was a caution to TW to not worry too much about what other people think of her writing.

When one is creative, as soon as they start tailoring their creativity to please other people, they lose a part of themselves...the part that makes them happy and fulfilled...I'm speaking from experience.

TW, write what you have a passion for and the rest will take care of itself. :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

My comment wasn't directed at anyone, it was a caution to TW to not worry too much about what other people think of her writing.

When one is creative, as soon as they start tailoring their creativity to please other people, they lose a part of themselves...the part that makes them happy and fulfilled...I'm speaking from experience.

Now there's sage advice.
      You're a smart lady TJ.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

I know.But Twistwrist is writing advice to people.It is her I am cautioning.No matter how much anyone knows there is always someone who disagrees or knows more. When you write advice you have to be careful you don't pontificate. No one likes a smartass know it all.
      Just be yourself, your beautiful personality will shine through. If someone takes offense, #$%! 'em .

:) That was nice to read this morning. Thanks, girl. ^^ I love your new profile pic, btw. :)

TrafficJam wrote:

My comment wasn't directed at anyone, it was a caution to TW to not worry too much about what other people think of her writing.

Thank you all for your wisdom and advice. So far, I have tailored my articles based on my experience alone. There are multiple articles out there that list all options for food, gear, water treatment, etc. These multiple options are good, but honestly, reading about every possible way to do every banal, daily task overwhelmed the hell out of me last fall when I started gathering information. I wanted to know what was most commonly used by thru-hikers and why. I did share my document of research I gathered that details all options for gear, camping processes, etc. in my 29-page "AT Basics" compilation of research on this page: appalachiantrailclarity.com/at-for-newbies/
      It describes types of gear from which to choose, all the different methods of water treatment, food choices that I may not have gone with in my own experience, etc.

My blog articles are focused on MY experiences...not only how I did things, but how I saw other thru-hikers doing them. Food is an example. Sure, there are many recipes that I could write about, and eventually I may do so! But of the hundreds of thru-hikers with whom I associated, there was a common theme in our food choices, water treatment selections, etc. By the way, I never encountered any thru hiker using iodine. That's not to discredit it as a viable option, however, but my purpose is to help newbies narrow down the plethora of options. What I plan to take from this thread is the idea to use a disclaimer in each article that states something like this: "There are various other options and beliefs regarding water treatment. This article focuses on Clarity's thru-hike experience and what I saw most out in the field."

I welcome your feedback, both constructive and positive! I'm open to hearing debatable points and, like in this case, will revise articles as needed. Thank you, Mountain Mike, for suggesting a simple rewording of the sentence that stood out to you.

Thank ALL of you for your honest opinions! :thumbup:

• JimBlue wrote:

Hmmm... back in my Scout days I said, after teaching a class on something, 'err on the side of caution. That one time you aren't careful could result in injury or sickness. But not so cautious you never hike or camp. Experience will hopefully treach you the difference. I do make mistakes, I just try to keep them to a minimum.'.
      I've made my share of mistakes. So far none have resulted in fatal injuries.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Regarding water treatment options...I'm a firm believer in treatment of some type. I was convinced awhile back after we filled our canteens, dropped in iodine tablets, moved upstream about 300 meters, and discovered a body.

Glad I've never lived in Flint MI.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Rasty wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I like to use the dead deer carcass as a extra water bag. When you go ultralight you need to use every item for at least two purposes.
      Let me guess the 2nd usage...jerky?
      Too risky to use tainted meat. The second use would be mukluks.
      I was kidding.

Never skinned a deer well into the process of decomposition. Wonder if it's easier than a fresh kill, which isn't too difficult with a sharp knife and the opportunity to hang the carcass from an overhead support.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I like to use the dead deer carcass as a extra water bag. When you go ultralight you need to use every item for at least two purposes.
      I was kidding.
      Never skinned a deer well into the process of decomposition. Wonder if it's easier than a fresh kill, which isn't too difficult with a sharp knife and the opportunity to hang the carcass from an overhead support.
      It would be easier because meat loosens its hold on bones after a while. When frenching a pork or lamb rack it's almost impossible to peel the trim off the bones when the meat is too fresh. The ageing of the meat allows the meat to tenderize. Ageing is really just rotting in a desirable way.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I was kidding.Never skinned a deer well into the process of decomposition. Wonder if it's easier than a fresh kill, which isn't too difficult with a sharp knife and the opportunity to hang the carcass from an overhead support.
      It would be easier because meat loosens its hold on bones after a while. When frenching a pork or lamb rack it's almost impossible to peel the trim off the bones when the meat is too fresh. The ageing of the meat allows the meat to tenderize. Ageing is really just rotting in a desirable way.
      How true.

A quality steakhouse with an on site viewable aging room such as Gallagher's on 52nd in NYC is a joy to behold for carnivores.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Rasty wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I was kidding.Never skinned a deer well into the process of decomposition. Wonder if it's easier than a fresh kill, which isn't too difficult with a sharp knife and the opportunity to hang the carcass from an overhead support.
      I can't speak about deer but I have experience with aged opossum, had the laundry in the lower level of the house and the wife kept saying she smelled something dead coming through the exhaust vent, thought it was probably a rat and would soon go away, it didn't. We had a low wood deck between the house and swimming pool with a pump house on the deck, which is where the vent exited outside, a very large opossum had gotten under the deck under the pump house and died, had to cut a section of deck out to get him, when I picked him up he just fell apart, juices going everywhere (I know that sounds like southern BBQ to some), unbelievable smell, can't believe I made it through that without barfing.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I can't speak about deer but I have experience with aged opossum, had the laundry in the lower level of the house and the wife kept saying she smelled something dead coming through the exhaust vent, thought it was probably a rat and would soon go away, it didn't. We had a low wood deck between the house and swimming pool with a pump house on the deck, which is where the vent exited outside, a very large opossum had gotten under the deck under the pump house and died, had to cut a section of deck out to get him, when I picked him up he just fell apart, juices going everywhere (I know that sounds like southern BBQ to some), unbelievable smell, can't believe I made it through that without barfing.
      I had a similar experience with a 20# grouper that got caught under the decking of a restaurant that I worked at. At low tide the fish was just reachable with a hoe so I could pull it out. Stunk to high heaven.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

A human body?

Damn.
      Yes. In an advanced stage of ripening.
      The only thing worse then a "floater" (body found in water) is a DOA that was set on fire or discovered in a burned bldg. That smell just never leaves you.
      I really appreciate the jobs that LEOs and other emergency workers do for the rest of us. Probably not everyone is cut out for that.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General