Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Winter Hats

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Been wearing a "Mad Bomber Hat" that I got for Christmas from my in laws for about a month now...love this thing, and while I wont give up my balaclava and the layering system that I've become a custom to, this hat is the bee knees for my nightly walks now that the weather has returned to normal January temps with lows in the teens and low 20's.This is the warmest hat I've ever worn, and don't wear it above about 30 degrees, almost to warm. With real rabbit fur it is super comfortable, and for those that don't like to wear fur the company also sells synthetics...check em out! Many colors and styles to choose from. So if ya gotta drop bombs from 35,000 feet might as well be warm doin' it. :)

madbomber.com/v/vspfiles/mobiletemplate/mobiledefault.htm

madbomber.com/v/vspfiles/photos/305OLV-2.jpg

The post was edited 2 times, last by Socks ().

• Last year (2014) the Saturday after Thanksgiving my daughter said she would like to go check out the Christkindl Market in Daley Plaza in downtown Chicago so of course I was game to go with her. The Christkindl Market is all kinds of booths and tents full of primarily Christmas related items but also folk handicrafts from countries all over the world. They are staffed by young people from those countries who come over for about 6 weeks. Anyway, I was intrigued at the booth from Nepal and tried to find the perfect Sherpa cap. What makes the perfect Sherpa cap you may ask. Well, being a woman, color and pattern of the yarns, of course. Couldn't find the 'perfect' cap so I walked away. Part of that may have been because we went 'the Saturday after Thanksgiving' and I don't do real well in sardine conditions. When we returned home, I regretted not selecting a little less than perfect cap and asked my daughter to go on her lunch hour and pick out one for me. She said she never had time (she works about .9 mile away). I thought 'Oh well, so much for a Sherpa cap'.

Fast forward to Dec 2015. Our daughter & son-in-law took a 4 day weekend to NYC for a 2nd honeymoon and my husband & I were tabbed for taking care of Dakota (see avatar). My husband had never been to the Christkindl Market and wanted to go so considering the weather and crowd issues, we went on a Friday; still crowded but not sardine conditions. I made a beeline for the Sherpa booth first and found a great cap. Is it perfect?; well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I was happy with it. Have worn it a lot in the last month and LOVE it!!!
    • Trillium wrote:

Last year (2014) the Saturday after Thanksgiving my daughter said she would like to go check out the Christkindl Market in Daley Plaza in downtown Chicago so of course I was game to go with her. The Christkindl Market is all kinds of booths and tents full of primarily Christmas related items but also folk handicrafts from countries all over the world. They are staffed by young people from those countries who come over for about 6 weeks. Anyway, I was intrigued at the booth from Nepal and tried to find the perfect Sherpa cap. What makes the perfect Sherpa cap you may ask. Well, being a woman, color and pattern of the yarns, of course. Couldn't find the 'perfect' cap so I walked away. Part of that may have been because we went 'the Saturday after Thanksgiving' and I don't do real well in sardine conditions. When we returned home, I regretted not selecting a little less than perfect cap and asked my daughter to go on her lunch hour and pick out one for me. She said she never had time (she works about .9 mile away). I thought 'Oh well, so much for a Sherpa cap'.

Fast forward to Dec 2015. Our daughter & son-in-law took a 4 day weekend to NYC for a 2nd honeymoon and my husband & I were tabbed for taking care of Dakota (see avatar). My husband had never been to the Christkindl Market and wanted to go so considering the weather and crowd issues, we went on a Friday; still crowded but not sardine conditions. I made a beeline for the Sherpa booth first and found a great cap. Is it perfect?; well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I was happy with it. Have worn it a lot in the last month and LOVE it!!!
      have similar store by me here, I like going in there and looking at all the different things from around the world, never know what you're gonna find, it's always changing.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• I have a hat like that. Real fur with a quilted lining. Has a "made in china" label. It looked very old when I got it at a flea market for a buck many years ago. Amazingly warm. Good for using the snow blower in a blizzard. One interesting feature is that when the fur flaps are down over your ears, they absorb all sound and you can't hear anything. Have not done any winter hiking so have not packed it. For three season hiking I've had good luck with my buff. Stretch it out to cover as much or as little of you head, neck, ears or face as you want.
    • socks wrote:

Hard to beat a baseball hat and a scarf all hodjied up in blizzard mode.
      One of my late grandmothers wore a similar getup...she knitted her scarf from wool she spun.

Truthfully I always thought her attire was a bit too rustic, but I learned being a 'Depression- era' child she didn't put much stock in the opinion of others.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

One of my late grandmothers wore a similar getup...she knitted her scarf from wool she spun.
      Truthfully I always thought her attire was a bit too rustic, but I learned being a 'Depression- era' child she didn't put much stock in the opinion of others.
      I love old people, they have the best stories.
    • Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

She sounds like a kindred spirit. I finished spinning this wool last week for a new winter hat. I hope it's not too rustic.

:)

Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

One of my late grandmothers wore a similar getup...she knitted her scarf from wool she spun.Truthfully I always thought her attire was a bit too rustic, but I learned being a 'Depression- era' child she didn't put much stock in the opinion of others.
      She sounds like a kindred spirit. I finished spinning this wool last week for a new winter hat. I hope it's not too rustic.

:)

I love that color, it would go nicely with my camo theme!
    • socks wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

I think it's way cool you spin your own wool, I love raw material projects, very renascence!
      And very survivalist.
      yes, exactly.
      just plain cool. I can barely remember my mom doing that when I was little kid. I didn't think anybody did that anymore. I really like the old trades and ways of doing things.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference