Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Article on Monson/Trail Angels

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• "There’s almost no money to be made; a bunk runs $25 a night, but many stay for free in exchange for a couple hours of chores. She regularly ignores declined credit cards, gives supplies to those who have none."

I have a hard time understanding how someone who has no funds would hike into a town and expect to receive services for free. That reminds me of the hiker I met last spring who stopped into a trailside hostel, got a ride into town from the owner, spent all of her money at McD's, and left her remaining pocket change ($0.40) in the donation basket. She justified it by stating that the hostel owner loves hikers and does it for his own enjoyment.

Bless the trail and town angels!
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

I have a hard time understanding how someone who has no funds would hike into a town and expect to receive services for free. That reminds me of the hiker I met last spring who stopped into a trailside hostel, got a ride into town from the owner, spent all of her money at McD's, and left her remaining pocket change ($0.40) in the donation basket. She justified it by stating that the hostel owner loves hikers and does it for his own enjoyment.
      but what else can a hiker do if their go fund me account doesn't raise their entire goal?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

but what else can a hiker do if their go fund me account doesn't raise their entire goal?
      :rolleyes:

That reminds me... I need to set up an early retirement go fund me account. This working, saving and self-reliance plan is a real drag.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • max.patch wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

How about stay home, get a job, and save up for next year. Pay for your own vacation. What a novel concept. ?(
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

How about stay home, get a job, and save up for next year. Pay for your own vacation. What a novel concept. ?(
      You expect people to be responsible for themselves?
      What a novel concept. In the 21st century a lot of people don't think that way.
      The idea of working hard and long so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor just isn't fair you see.
      I better stop now before get myself all worked up over an ancient idea.

Oh, and thaks for the article Mountain Mike.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LIhikers ().

• LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

You expect people to be responsible for themselves?What a novel concept. In the 21st century a lot of people don't think that way.
      The idea of working hard and long so they can enjoy the fruits of their labor just isn't fair you see.
      I better stop now before get myself all worked up over an ancient idea.

Oh, and thaks for the article Mountain Mike.
      I like your politics.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does