Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Foothills Trail hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Traffic Jam wrote:

Trying to arrange a shuttle for an upcoming FHT hike. If it doesn’t work out, I’ve decided to take my bicycle and do some bike shuttling, That will be interesting to say the least.
      I've done that. My preference is to get the bike ride out of the way first, and then hike towards the car.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Trying to arrange a shuttle for an upcoming FHT hike. If it doesn’t work out, I’ve decided to take my bicycle and do some bike shuttling, That will be interesting to say the least.
      I've done that. My preference is to get the bike ride out of the way first, and then hike towards the car.
      The shuttle is arranged so my bicycle isn’t needed. I’m not finishing the FHT on this hike but re-hiking part of what I’ve already done and a few parts that were missed on the last trip because of weather.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • IMScotty wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

That’s a good idea, the legs will be warmed up for the hike. Cycling after hiking would be tough. If I work all day then cycle, my legs barely work.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

The shuttle is arranged so my bicycle isn’t needed. I’m not finishing the FHT on this hike but re-hiking part of what I’ve already done and a few parts that were missed on the last trip because of weather.
      Which section you doing?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Which section you doing?
      The forested section. :P
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Which section you doing?
      The forested section. :P
      After coaching baseball in the summer I used to always loose my tan while hiking all day on the AT in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • tj...there are lots of volunteers to provide foothills shuttles...donations only...which for me always cost more...which is just fine...I can probably find find a number for Jim, don't remember last name, but a great guy, if you need it....or, I can come up and hike with you and help with the shuttle if I know in advance
    • Drybones wrote:

tj...there are lots of volunteers to provide foothills shuttles...donations only...which for me always cost more...which is just fine...I can probably find find a number for Jim, don't remember last name, but a great guy, if you need it....or, I can come up and hike with you and help with the shuttle if I know in advance
      Hike is done. Used Jim and agree he’s a great guy. Did 16.8 miles today (24+ total) and 3 1/2 hr drive home. Awesome birthday weekend!
    • i had a really awesome hike, even though I experienced my regular snafus. Left my hiking poles in the car and had to go back to get them...rain leaked in my tent from a stupid mistake...nearly knocked myself out trying to hang a bear bag and ended up having to sleep with my food. :rolleyes:

It was perfect weather (despite some night-time rain) and an amazing trail. I can’t wait to hike the other half, which isn’t as easy.

I hiked the section from Sloan Bridge picnic area to Oconee State Park. I was re-hiking some miles but no matter. Officially, I’ve completed Bad Creek to OSP.
    • A few pics
      Images
      • C2A83010-8827-4BB3-AD65-47621A2FB779.jpeg

380.38 kB, 800×600, viewed 294 times
      • 465881C7-2B13-4FFB-93DB-53092923ABA8.jpeg

426.44 kB, 800×600, viewed 351 times
      • 4D05EF8D-5EE3-4268-9003-1680F67B4106.jpeg

405.03 kB, 800×600, viewed 365 times
      • AB6F2B21-C47C-4E77-AF06-E568E998A998.jpeg

362.25 kB, 800×600, viewed 337 times
      • ED369C4A-FC5B-4402-B185-CAE8759488E3.jpeg

380.57 kB, 800×600, viewed 351 times
      • FFC2883C-F228-4DA7-AC17-E28A3D28A4C5.jpeg

339.89 kB, 800×600, viewed 354 times
      • EAD18C35-559B-476D-807F-86C34A91A911.jpeg

372.1 kB, 800×600, viewed 314 times
      • 28C7E126-F83F-4F26-8419-76FF710B88BF.jpeg

115.87 kB, 450×600, viewed 349 times
    • Drybones wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Hike is done. Used Jim and agree he’s a great guy. Did 16.8 miles today (24+ total) and 3 1/2 hr drive home. Awesome birthday weekend!
      Happy Birthday! :thumbup:
      Thank you. Best birthday meal ever!
      Ramen?
      Yep. :). Enjoying a hot, 30 cent lunch with amazing views of the river was worth more than an expensive steak dinner any day. Since turning 50, I’ve had trouble with being depressed on my birthday but not this year. I found the cure.

My original plan was to hike 8ish miles on day 2 and spend the night again so I took a long lunch break (not wanting to arrive at the next CS too early, which happened anyway). It was sunny so I dried out the wet gear from my leaking tent snafu. (i idiotically created a pocket in the rainfly which collected water and leaked into my tent.)
      Images
      • ABE80039-66EF-4877-BF93-E9893BDA4BBE.jpeg

385.07 kB, 800×600, viewed 355 times
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

tj...there are lots of volunteers to provide foothills shuttles...donations only...which for me always cost more...which is just fine...I can probably find find a number for Jim, don't remember last name, but a great guy, if you need it....or, I can come up and hike with you and help with the shuttle if I know in advance
      Happy Birthday TJ!!!!! Glad to hear you got to get out do what you enjoy!!! Sometimes it's the simple things that are the best.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Dmax wrote:

I reaaly liked the falls by burrells ford. King falls? Maybe the name.....
      King Falls it is, Burrells Ford was a great camp spot, really nice camp ground with a nice stream, toilets with paper, and we were the only ones there...may have been because there's a short hike into it, three of us hung hammocks from a common pole...if you saw the photo of the two I hiked with you'd know it's not who you want next to you when you "get the call at three in the morning".