Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Raingear

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• If I get this ridgerunner job, I'm in desperate need of new rain gear. I never loved my paper-light O2 rain jacket I used on my thru. There were no pit zips, it stayed hot, and eventually it stayed pretty smelly as a result.

Recommendations?
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I have the Marmot Precip jacket and pants. They are great but only if the weather is coolish, too warm in summer. Something similar but a bit lighter would work better for me. The Marmot Mica gets good reviews.
      I am very happy with my Marmot Mica (another good recommendation from HB :) ).

Since most of my hiking is in the summer, I just use a ULA rain kilt instead of pants.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I don't believe they make the Mica anymore. I have the Precip and I like it because I use it all year round, not just for rain but as a wind breaker and and outer shell for snowshoeing and skiing. What replaced the Mica in the Marmot line? Does anyone know?
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

I don't believe they make the Mica anymore. I have the Precip and I like it because I use it all year round, not just for rain but as a wind breaker and and outer shell for snowshoeing and skiing. What replaced the Mica in the Marmot line? Does anyone know?
      Good question. I am tempted to buy another Mica on 50% clearance as a backup.
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

I don't believe they make the Mica anymore. I have the Precip and I like it because I use it all year round, not just for rain but as a wind breaker and and outer shell for snowshoeing and skiing. What replaced the Mica in the Marmot line? Does anyone know?
      i was going to buy the mica last year at rei. i knew they had it as i had tried one on. waited for one of those 20% off one item sales and went with dividend check in hand to get it -- and they didn't have it anymore. clerk didn't know what happened; only that they didn't sell it anymore. so i got the precip instead.
      2,000 miler
    • I use a parcho I made from questoutfitters. Similar to the Packa that Cedartree sells. I keep it in the side mesh pocket of my pack. I can Reach back and pull it out and put my arms in and flip the whole thing over me and my pack. I have seen some on amazon that were almost as good and were real cheap.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I should have some comparison pics next week of STS Silnylon Tarp/Poncho, Packa and the European Altus raincoat.
      Need to wait for a 2nd person to be handy to take pics. Am preparing a series of minor gear comparison pics to post on B&B Facebook page. Some tents and those raingear options are slated to be the first ones. Will make a thread here on each when I do.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Astro wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Do you have a link to this sale?
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Astro wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Do you have a link to this sale?
      Best to just do a Google search on Marmot Mica, and it will show you multiple images and prices. Can also try clicking the Shopping tab from there. Since on clearance multiples vendors with various sizes and colors, so this is a better option than me just telling you one particular website.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I have the Marmot Precip jacket and pants. They are great but only if the weather is coolish, too warm in summer. Something similar but a bit lighter would work better for me. The Marmot Mica gets good reviews.
      I am with JJ on this one I use the Marmot for work but it doesn't work for clammy downpours Summertime light weight ponchos (which most younger crowd are unfamiliar)
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I am with JJ on this one I use the Marmot for work but it doesn't work for clammy downpours Summertime light weight ponchos (which most younger crowd are unfamiliar)
      Ditto...great rain or snow outfit in cooler weather, but I get warm quickly particularly with exertion.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I could use some help with rain jackets.
      For years I've been using the Marmot PreCip.
      But invariably the lining peels off the inside of the jacket making it less rainproof and leaving this white coating on me.
      Can anyone recommend a rain jacket that this doesn't happen to or is made of a material that doesn't have a coating on the material that can peel off?
    • LIhikers wrote:

I could use some help with rain jackets.
      But invariably the lining peels off the inside of the jacket making it less rainproof and leaving this white coating on me.
      Can anyone recommend a rain jacket that this doesn't happen to or is made of a material that doesn't have a coating on the material that can peel off?
      How many years was it before you had this problem?
      I have had a Mica for 2 years and Precip less than a year and no problems yet.
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I could use some help with rain jackets.
      How many years was it before you had this problem?I have had a Mica for 2 years and Precip less than a year and no problems yet.
      maybe 2 - 3 years for each jacket, which I also use at home and work.
      maybe I just need to accept the situation
    • My EMS "thunder head" rain coat did the same thing, I just chalked it up to "oh well" and then bought a second, smeared some silicon along the seam where it delaminated. My long term plan is to use the first to sew some overmitts with once it's completely whooped in the shoulders.
    • my North Face started to delaminated this year, but I've had it a while so i can't complain.. Just today I replaced it with an Eddie Bauer equivilent. I expect it will do the same in a few years, but for 60$, I get my money's worth out of it. Never got to the point of shelling out big bucks for a rain jacket. I have had EB replace clothes that failed. Travel pants had a zipper fail. Replaced with no problem at the mall store, just 10 minutes from home.
    • Birdbrain has a packa and always spoke highly of it.

I've considered the packa and the parcho to replace my rain gear and double as a closure for the end of my tarp.

The reason I haven't bought one is because I hate wearing bulky, too long, too big, trip-inducing clothing. And I like having a rain jacket to wear in camp.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I built one before I knew you could buy them, the problem is once it stops raining you can't tuck the sleeves back in because they are wet. Wet sleeves flapping are no fun at all. I went with an umbrella, rain skirt, and my jacket with the hood rolled up and worn backwards if the rain is real heavy. This gives you a jacket for set up camp and town, but worn backwards over the pack straps your back doesn't sweat. I add some sort of hook to the top of the jacket to make it work. Just tuck the front corners in behind the bottom of the pack straps. If the rain stops you can take the jacket off on the fly without removing the pack.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

I built one before I knew you could buy them, the problem is once it stops raining you can't tuck the sleeves back in because they are wet. Wet sleeves flapping are no fun at all. I went with an umbrella, rain skirt, and my jacket with the hood rolled up and worn backwards if the rain is real heavy. This gives you a jacket for set up camp and town, but worn backwards over the pack straps your back doesn't sweat. I add some sort of hook to the top of the jacket to make it work. Just tuck the front corners in behind the bottom of the pack straps. If the rain stops you can take the jacket off on the fly without removing the pack.
      I like it!
    • backpacker magazine has announced that the marmot precip has been inducted into the prestigious backpacker magazine hall of fame.

see the october issue for the exciting details.

marmot mica had the stats -- but steroids kept em out.

:)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

backpacker magazine has announced that the marmot precip has been inducted into the prestigious backpacker magazine hall of fame.

I guess I am good shape, I have one of each. Bought the Mica first and use it during the summer (lighter). Precip is Orange so I use it in Fall/Winter so hopefully the hunters will see me. :)
    • i've made it to the basketball hall of fame in springfield and the football hall of fame in canton.

i still have to go to the baseball hall of fame in cooperstown

a few years ago i had to add the appalachian trail hall of fame in pine grove furnace state park to the list.

now i gotta go the the backpacker hall of fame. now where is it? :)

edit to add: and just now i get an email from waffle house inviting me to their museum...

2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

backpacker magazine has announced that the marmot precip has been inducted into the prestigious backpacker magazine hall of fame.

I guess I am good shape, I have one of each. Bought the Mica first and use it during the summer (lighter). Precip is Orange so I use it in Fall/Winter so hopefully the hunters will see me. :)
      i went to rei with 20% off coupon in hand to buy a mica 2 or 3 years ago -- but all of a sudden about a month earlier my store stopped selling them according to the sales person. so i ended up with another precip.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• I just got a new rain jacket yesterday.
      I've always used a Marmot Precip and stayed with that choice again.
      Instead of the usual Blue color I've gotten in the past, this time I got a color called Tangelo.
      It's kind of a washed out Orange. I figured that's better than blue during hunting season.
      It's not as vibrant as blaze orange but is more visible than the blue. Although, during fall's leaf season it's gonna blend right in.
      The first web site I checked was Campmor and they had the jacket for full retail price of $100. I bought it from REI for $69.73 as that's a significant savings plus the member we'll get.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I just got a new rain jacket yesterday.
      I've always used a Marmot Precip and stayed with that choice again.
      Instead of the usual Blue color I've gotten in the past, this time I got a color called Tangelo.
      It's kind of a washed out Orange. I figured that's better than blue during hunting season.
      It's not as vibrant as blaze orange but is more visible than the blue. Although, during fall's leaf season it's gonna blend right in.
      The first web site I checked was Campmor and they had the jacket for full retail price of $100. I bought it from REI for $69.73 as that's a significant savings plus the member we'll get.
      I have an orange Precip I use in Fall/Winter (hiking season) and also everyday when is raining. I still use my blue Mica (7 v. 11 oz) during the summer. I don't believe they make the Mica anymore.

As for discounts I have found the Google Search Shopping option to be useful for finding the best price once you know specifically what gear you want.