Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

BMT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

I don't know anything about that area.

In general, I don't know how people earn a living when they run a hostel. They certainly aren't in it for the money...unless you're one of the big outfits that can invest a lot into the facilities and services.
      Same thoughts here. I love it when they are there, but often wonder how they are able to make it work, especially with the lower rates you see in the south.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • seems like they make more than enough when I think about the numbers. Consider this example. White Mountains Lodge and Hostel is around full capacity from June to September. Let's just say full capacity is 20, though utilizing couches, they can fit even more than that. At $33 bucks per head (use $30 as a friendly number), that's $600 per night. Multiply by 30 days in a month and that's $18,000 per month, right? Yes, only 4 months are busy, but that's $72,000 per year. Expenses are a bit more unfamiliar to me, so maybe there are more than I know of??? Of course the building and taxes/insurance, furniture, food, but would that equal near $72k?

TrafficJam wrote:

I don't know anything about that area.

In general, I don't know how people earn a living when they run a hostel. They certainly aren't in it for the money...unless you're one of the big outfits that can invest a lot into the facilities and services.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.