Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

They're Doing It Wrong

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The General Store is closed until March (I didn't see the sign, walked in, and talked to the owner). The Pit Stop is open on some days. I only remember that it's open Monday and closed Tuesday and Wednesday.

I would think that in the off season, it's best to send a resupply box to Fontana or get a ride into Robbinsville from Stecoah Gap. If a hiker resupplied in Robbinsville, they'd probably have to resupply in Gatlinburg also. That would be chancy d/t possible, weather-related road closures.

Is this correct? (And should this discussion about off season resupply be in the AT Specific forum?)
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Trillium wrote:

Here's a link to the TJ of the dude that I talked about that started on January 1. Oh and he did get to hike in NE in the fall as he finished on October 8. It's been a long time since I read his TJ so I don't remember the details as to why what appears to be quite a lengthy time between his start and finish:

TJ of a thruhike starting on January 1
      He went off trail from sometime in February until May by the looks of it.
      Wolf should know he was big time trail angel for him according to the journal.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

The post was edited 1 time, last by OzJacko ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

The General Store is closed until March (I didn't see the sign, walked in, and talked to the owner). The Pit Stop is open on some days. I only remember that it's open Monday and closed Tuesday and Wednesday.

I would think that in the off season, it's best to send a resupply box to Fontana or get a ride into Robbinsville from Stecoah Gap. If a hiker resupplied in Robbinsville, they'd probably have to resupply in Gatlinburg also. That would be chancy d/t possible, weather-related road closures.

Is this correct? (And should this discussion about off season resupply be in the AT Specific forum?)
      Hiking is cold and wet. It makes you late for supper.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

The General Store is closed until March (I didn't see the sign, walked in, and talked to the owner). The Pit Stop is open on some days. I only remember that it's open Monday and closed Tuesday and Wednesday.

Send a 6 day mail drop to Fontana to get you to Davenport. 441 closes all the time from snow or rock slides.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123