Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Money blogging? Or writing magazine articles?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Money blogging? Or writing magazine articles?

Hey y'all, question for you. Blogs are endless on the WWW, but is there any glimmer of hope that one can make money for its creator? I've read about it and heard of folks finding their expert niche and making decent money on blogs.

How popular do you think a female AT thru-hiker blog would be? I know AT resources are ubiquitous. Thinking outside that box, I considered creating a blog encompassing the AT (walking) and motorcycling (using wheels) to blog about beer/breweries/etc along the way. I'm very skeptical of something like this making any money, so trying to decide where to focus my effort the next few months and would appreciate your very honest thoughts.

Any ideas or connections with an editor of a magazine who might be interested in a few of my articles? I'm looking for an outside the box way to make some money for a few months before I hit the trail again. Thanks!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • To make money I think you'll need to be in it for the long haul.
      I'm not certain but I've herd that Trailspace.com started as a blog. I have to assume that it makes money now.
      Think the thing through from an advertiser's perspective.
      I think there's a fee to be a member of Backpacking Light also.

To be honest I think that beer, hiking, and motorcycles is too wide of an audience and you won't be able to target any of them enough to make money at it........but I've been known to be wrong.
    • I respect and appreciate honesty the most.

Yeah, I'd probably start off with just one area and expand if I saw the need...I also considered focusing it mostly on beer but getting there on foot or bike would create small side story posts.

I don't know. Focusing more on magazines right now. I'm going to put a few feelers out and see if anything bites...probably nothing, but it's worth a shot.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • I make a small amount of money from affiliate marketing on my website. I've been online since 1987...writing about hiking since 1996 (My own website in one form or another since 2002).

I do a small amount of freelance writing (Trailgroove mainly, just did one for NatGeo adventurer online and BPer Mag) because of my blog.

Established a decent presence to get to this point.

I work a day job, so I don't actively seek freelance work...that's a job in itself. I am the main breadwinner in our marriage. The wife does not quite make enough to support both of us and our long term financial goals. On a personal level, I don't feel too confident to go completely full time with writing unless I have a combo of more money saved up AND the wife was more along in her career.

anyway, that is me. Slow, steady work to get where I am. Nothing too fancy or lucrative but enough to pay for the occasional piece of gear.