Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pack Cover

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I don't use a pack cover but it's been on the wish list for a while. I've hiked in multiple days of pouring rain and didn't have problems with anything inside getting wet but everyone I saw on the trail had a cover. I've read the endless debate for and against and want to know what you pros think.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I don't use a pack cover but it's been on the wish list for a while. I've hiked in multiple days of pouring rain and didn't have problems with anything inside getting wet but everyone I saw on the trail had a cover. I've read the endless debate for and against and want to know what you pros think.

My Osprey has a built in one, it is red. I use it when I think there may be hunting in the area I'm walking. I've also been caught in some bad rain....no fun.......but, I'm one of those 'just in case pack mule kind of guys' :)
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • I put everything that's in my pack in dry bags, more for organization than keeping dry. I have a pack cover but have never used it, instead I use a compactor trash bag over the pack, not really needed except to keep items hanging on the pack dry.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Re:Pack Cover

Rasty wrote:

I use a liner and a cover. The liner keeps your stuff dry. The cover limits the amount of water your pack absorbs. I have as ZPacks cuben fiber rain cover and my pack is dry after walking in the rain all day.
      wtf? youre doing it right?!!
      same here but i have the less trendy sea to summit slnylon cover, and use a trash compactor bag for my sleeping bag and extra clothes.
      the cover doubles as something to sit on ,
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I use a liner and a cover. The liner keeps your stuff dry. The cover limits the amount of water your pack absorbs. I have as ZPacks cuben fiber rain cover and my pack is dry after walking in the rain all day.
      same here but i have the less trendy sea to summit slnylon cover, and use a trash compactor bag for my sleeping bag and extra clothes.

Your not supposed to let him when he's doing it right...You're doing it wrong!

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I always use a trash bag liner too. I have a tarp/poncho that'll fit over me and the pack but have never used it, don't want to get too hot.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Your not supposed to let him when he's doing it right...You're doing it wrong!
      hey gotta give him props. doesnt happen too often
      its all good

I know I am a broken record, but here goes again.

Problem with using only liner is pack gets heavy when wet.
      Problem with pack cover is water can get between rain suit and pack cover.
      Problem with poncho is wind blows it around like crazy.
      Problem with rain jacket is you sweat like a pig.

Packa solves all these problems and has thru hike guarantee.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

youre doing it wrong
      its all good
    • One of these years I'm going to spring for a Packa.

In the meantime, my ALPS Mountaineering pack came with a cover, and I have an orange Sea to Summit cover for my day pack. The ALPS pack gets lined with a compactor bag (which is also my Thermarest inflator for all but the last puff of air). The stuff in the day pack goes mostly in big Ziploc bags.

One thing that I tried the other day was wearing a DWR windshirt (which I picked up on impulse for ten bucks at Ocean State Job Lot, but it's the kind that golf pro shops sell for about $50) between my baselayer and my fleece. I was running the snowblower and shoveling the drifts for nearly three hours, and while my baselayer got all sweaty and clammy, my fleece stayed dry from both sides. Definitely an idea to experiment with further. Thanks to Just BIll on WB for suggesting it. Vapor barriers do seem to make a difference when it's this cold.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

youre doing it wrong

:) :) :) :) yes I am :) :) :) :)

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

youre doing it wrong

But, hey it looks like you are enjoying it!
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

youre doing it wrong

But, hey it looks like you are enjoying it!
      and that makes all the difference
      its all good
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

One of these years I'm going to spring for a Packa.

In the meantime, my ALPS Mountaineering pack came with a cover, and I have an orange Sea to Summit cover for my day pack. The ALPS pack gets lined with a compactor bag (which is also my Thermarest inflator for all but the last puff of air). The stuff in the day pack goes mostly in big Ziploc bags.

One thing that I tried the other day was wearing a DWR windshirt (which I picked up on impulse for ten bucks at Ocean State Job Lot, but it's the kind that golf pro shops sell for about $50) between my baselayer and my fleece. I was running the snowblower and shoveling the drifts for nearly three hours, and while my baselayer got all sweaty and clammy, my fleece stayed dry from both sides. Definitely an idea to experiment with further. Thanks to Just BIll on WB for suggesting it. Vapor barriers do seem to make a difference when it's this cold.

If the base layer's wet, does it matter if the outer layer is dry? I'm trying to understand cuz I have big problems with staying warm when I run. When my base gets wet with sweat, I get cold, even if my mid weight is dry.
    • It certainly works with my feet. For day trips in deep winter, I wear pac boots. Inside I have thin polyester liner socks, then doubled bread or newspaper bags, then heavy wool hiking socks. The polyester socks wick some, but tend to get clammy, but the dry wool socks and insulated boots keep my feet toasty, or at least steamy.

Even at my age I'm still trying to learn to deal with winter. A lot of the time, "warm and wet" is the best i can manage. Everything I had on got soaked, either from the inside or the outside, in the ice storm on Sunday. The really important rule seems to be, "never hike in your only dry clothes. If you have only one set of dry things, hike in the wet ones."
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

If the base layer's wet, does it matter if the outer layer is dry? I'm trying to understand cuz I have big problems with staying warm when I run. When my base gets wet with sweat, I get cold, even if my mid weight is dry.

I guess we should have this discussion in "clothing"?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

you need a base layer that will wick the moisture off your skin and transfer it to your fleece. this is kinda trial and error. ive finally settled on a columbia omni dry t shirt. for me it seems to do the job best. its thin and it transfers the moisture to my fleece which is snug against my skin to help transfer moisture out to the air.http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-Terminal-Tackle%E2%84%A2-Short-Sleeve-Tee/FM6093,default,pd.html
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

you need a base layer that will wick the moisture off your skin and transfer it to your fleece. this is kinda trial and error. ive finally settled on a columbia omni dry t shirt. for me it seems to do the job best. its thin and it transfers the moisture to my fleece which is snug against my skin to help transfer moisture out to the air.http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-Terminal-Tackle%E2%84%A2-Short-Sleeve-Tee/FM6093,default,pd.html

this is the fleece i have, a slight variation from the one i wore last year
      http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18336536&lmdn=Brand&cp=3707807.3693378

this is the puffy that goes over it when its very cold
      http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18055726&lmdn=Brand&cp=3707807.12019738
      its all good
    • TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Now for multi use on trash compactor bag...
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzBb5oBBd3E

Ummm, seriously?

Bacteria and moisture from lungs get trapped in pad if you blow it up. I use Exped Minipump.

Understood
      i blow it up .
      but i live dangerously.
      which is why i always wear my survival bracelet.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Now for multi use on trash compactor bag...
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzBb5oBBd3E

Ummm, seriously?

Bacteria and moisture from lungs get trapped in pad if you blow it up. I use Exped Minipump.

Understood
      i blow it up .
      but i live dangerously.
      which is why i always wear my survival bracelet.

I have more hot air. Your risk is lower.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Wow hot debate over $35? I will stick to a Sea to Summit for the down products inside the bag and its inside a cheap ass kitchen liner trash bag in case the bladder breaks! - no cover required, even when swimming!

WOW, It's a $35 x 4 decision :P

(I own 4 bags, packs, and mats. It's the only way I can get family/friends to hike with me. Fireball (sis) is sending me an REI gift card because, "You know what we need for hiking.")
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I don't use a pack cover but it's been on the wish list for a while. I've hiked in multiple days of pouring rain and didn't have problems with anything inside getting wet but everyone I saw on the trail had a cover. I've read the endless debate for and against and want to know what you pros think.
      there are no pros. if it ain't broke, don't fix it. stay pack coverless
    • LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

i have a paypal account. you can sponsor me.
      20 of every dollar will go to the poho preservation society, a foundation set up to create a cyber hostel where pohos can take stay for free aka appalachiantrailcafe.net
      the other 80 cents will go towards ramen,nido and bacon.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

20 of every dollar will go to the poho preservation society, a foundation set up to create a cyber hostel where pohos can take stay for free aka appalachiantrailcafe.net

and your thru-hike??? :lol:
    • rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

and your thru-hike??? :lol:

not that there's anything wrong with dat.
    • hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Only if it's Benton's Bacon :)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Only if it's Benton's Bacon :)
      i get microwave ready bacon, eat it straight out of the package. sealed it'll keep for weeks.cant beat it for fat supplement, much better than jerky, and you can add it to any meal.

and yes, of course to fund my thru hike, although its really 2 long ass section hikes. im entitled . i want to turn pro, but i need your help.
      its all good