Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Dogs

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Drybones wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Half collie (Lassie) half border collie (Australian Shepherd I think is name in USA ).
      Border Collie and Austrailian Shepherd are two distinct breeds in the US, the border collies are scottish and look mostly like this:(One of my hiking buddies)
      Border Collie:

Australian Shepherd

(Stock internet photo)

And both are smarter than anyone on this web site.
      Hard to beat a sheepdog.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Half collie (Lassie) half border collie (Australian Shepherd I think is name in USA ).
      We have both border collies and Australian shepherds, and the kennel club thinks they're different breeds.

Both are great dogs if you can keep them busy. If you can't keep them busy they take up hobbies, such as the destruction of the known universe.

Recognize that they're usually smarter than their owners.

A couple of years ago, I met a border collie on a summit, for which the easiest route involves a couple of 50-foot Grade 4 rock scrambles. (Actually, I'd guess that there are some moves that are about 5.4, but they get away with calling it a 4 because those positions aren't exposed.) I asked the owners, "how'd you get that dog up here?" Answer: "Are you kidding? He's a Border Collie!"

I also ran into one who was being trained as an SAR dog. At that point she was in a fairly advanced stage of her training - doing long-line rappel with a water exit. Down the face of Kaaterskill Falls and out in the plunge pool at the middle level. Here.

[IMG:https://farm1.staticflickr.com/23/32949408_41e4c1fefc_z.jpg]Kaaterskill Falls by Kevin Kenny, on Flickr
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by AnotherKevin ().

• Anyone else have a vegetable loving dog? Our puggle is nuts for raw vegetables- especially potatoes, carrots, cabbage hearts, broccoli, celery and asparagus. She woofs that stuff down like its steak. I tell her she is one strange cute little dog.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Yes! My 13 year old, grumpy, jack russell likes crunchy vegetables. He always has. I think it's the texture more than the flavor. He likes bananas too. He's mostly a jerk but he's kind of cute, so I keep him around. The same can be said for my husband. ;)

His usual favorite pastime now that he's older. He's a little slower and mainly just sleeps and grumbles but never doubt he is very much still a jack russell. When his terror, I mean terrier tendencies rise to the surface he can still be quite a bundle of energy.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Anyone else have a vegetable loving dog? Our puggle is nuts for raw vegetables- especially potatoes, carrots, cabbage hearts, broccoli, celery and asparagus. She woofs that stuff down like its steak. I tell her she is one strange cute little dog.

My Springer Bella loves carrots, celery, fresh peas in the pod and fresh green beans.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Anyone else have a vegetable loving dog? Our puggle is nuts for raw vegetables- especially potatoes, carrots, cabbage hearts, broccoli, celery and asparagus. She woofs that stuff down like its steak. I tell her she is one strange cute little dog.

I have yet to find a vegetable my dog doesn't love, if it's something like potatoes and cucumbers that get peeled i just peel it onto the kitchen floor, what he doesn't catch he picks up, he picks his own tomatoes and pears, most dogs don't like taking pills, I just throw them on the floor.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Ewok11 wrote:

Yes! My 13 year old, grumpy, jack russell likes crunchy vegetables. He always has. I think it's the texture more than the flavor. He likes bananas too. He's mostly a jerk but he's kind of cute, so I keep him around.
      The same can be said for my husband. ;)

His usual favorite pastime now that he's older. He's a little slower and mainly just sleeps and grumbles but never doubt he is very much still a jack russell. When his terror, I mean terrier tendencies rise to the surface he can still be quite a bundle of energy.

My wife has already told me that when I die she's going to replace me by getting a second dog ?(