Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Best Job on Earth?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Actually I had the best job in the world for 19 years.
      Monday through Friday I was at work about 1.5 hours a day and was on call the rest of the day.
      Then on the weekends we did whatever maintenance was due on the helicopter and went home when we were done.
      It was all on the up and up, the company even gave us the beeper, and then cell phones, so they could get in touch with us if they needed us.
      Plenty of perks too like perfect attendance bonus, a bonus if our aircraft didn't miss any flights for the entire year, holidays off, and time and a half if you got called in on hours that weren't part of your regular shift (even though you were only there for 1.5 hours during your shift). Then when the company was preparing to go out of business we got 6 months pay and medical coverage as a severance and got a good part of what have would been a pension.

Now I've got a job I enjoy, but it's nothing like the last one.
    • While no job is perfect (except maybe LIhikers and it unfortunately ended like a good dream), my philosophy has always been if you do not enjoy what you are doing you are underpaid and probably should start looking for other opportunities, or preparing yourself for other opportunities. Life is just too short.

But on the other side of the coin sometimes we need to sit back and look at the big picture and realize what we are doing is not so bad, and maybe there are things we can do to make it better.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

While no job is perfect (except maybe LIhikers and it unfortunately ended like a good dream), my philosophy has always been if you do not enjoy what you are doing you are underpaid and probably should start looking for other opportunities, or preparing yourself for other opportunities. Life is just too short.

But on the other side of the coin sometimes we need to sit back and look at the big picture and realize what we are doing is not so bad, and maybe there are things we can do to make it better.
      Unfortunately, many, or maybe even most people don't have a passion for anything and are just going to some job to earn dollars.
      I enjoy the work I do so much that I've actually passed up promotions, management positions, and job offers that would have paid me significantly more.
      Some would consider that foolish, but I'm living life on my terms and don't regret it.
    • odd man out wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I don't think rich people should be allowed to call themselves philanthropists unless the amount they give away affects their own lifestyle. Anything less and it's just tax evasion.
      oh crap. I guess I wouldn't qualify as a philanthropist since I would stay in hotels instead of hostels on a LASH if I had 100 million $ in the bank.
      Hey, people that work in hotels need to eat too. ;)
    • odd man out wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I don't think rich people should be allowed to call themselves philanthropists unless the amount they give away affects their own lifestyle. Anything less and it's just tax evasion.
      oh crap. I guess I wouldn't qualify as a philanthropist since I would stay in hotels instead of hostels on a LASH if I had 100 million $ in the bank.
      Are you sure about that?
      A hostel and a hotel are two very different experiences.
      I've enjoyed the hostel stays I've had even if I didn't have the amenities a hotel has.
    • Fox News just ran a story this morning about the "Thayer" hotel on the Hudson, and the West Point grads that became the management team that brought the defunct hotel back to life. The West Point public golf coarse was also profiled as the Thayer donated granite pictorial hole markers to the golf coarse that profile not only the hole but a paragraph or two on each US war, here or abroad, as a kinda mini history lesson...makes me wanna go play a round.

For those unawares, and wanting to try something a little different while hiking, West Point is but a stones throw across from bear mountain NY just off the AT
    • socks wrote:

Fox News just ran a story this morning about the "Thayer" hotel on the Hudson, and the West Point grads that became the management team that brought the defunct hotel back to life. The West Point public golf coarse was also profiled as the Thayer donated granite pictorial hole markers to the golf coarse that profile not only the hole but a paragraph or two on each US war, here or abroad, as a kinda mini history lesson...makes me wanna go play a round.

For those unawares, and wanting to try something a little different while hiking, West Point is but a stones throw across from bear mountain NY just off the AT
      You must have a much better throwing arm than me :D
    • LIhikers wrote:

socks wrote:

Fox News just ran a story this morning about the "Thayer" hotel on the Hudson, and the West Point grads that became the management team that brought the defunct hotel back to life. The West Point public golf coarse was also profiled as the Thayer donated granite pictorial hole markers to the golf coarse that profile not only the hole but a paragraph or two on each US war, here or abroad, as a kinda mini history lesson...makes me wanna go play a round.

I was just on Storm King Mountain, just a stones throw from West Point :)
      Intersting story about Storm King is they had to close the trails and mountain off in 1999 due to unexploded ordinances that were left behind from West Point in the 19th century. They used to shell the mountain from across the river in Cold Spring and Constitution Island. They apparently cleared the mountain, well from what I understand 20 feet on either side of the trails and as much as a foot underground. They say there is still at least one unexploded ordinance per acre on the mountain.
      RIAP
    • LIhikers wrote:

socks wrote:

Going back to his old name, perhaps it was a "rocket" stone. :)
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

socks wrote:

I was just on Storm King Mountain, just a stones throw from West Point :) Intersting story about Storm King is they had to close the trails and mountain off in 1999 due to unexploded ordinances that were left behind from West Point in the 19th century. They used to shell the mountain from across the river in Cold Spring and Constitution Island. They apparently cleared the mountain, well from what I understand 20 feet on either side of the trails and as much as a foot underground. They say there is still at least one unexploded ordinance per acre on the mountain.
      Better be careful digging your cathole thru there. ;)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • LIhikers wrote:

socks wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

socks wrote:

I was just on Storm King Mountain, just a stones throw from West Point :) Intersting story about Storm King is they had to close the trails and mountain off in 1999 due to unexploded ordinances that were left behind from West Point in the 19th century. They used to shell the mountain from across the river in Cold Spring and Constitution Island. They apparently cleared the mountain, well from what I understand 20 feet on either side of the trails and as much as a foot underground. They say there is still at least one unexploded ordinance per acre on the mountain.
      Aye...a cab ride and a stones throw. KillMe
    • I'm thinking a ridge runner might be a perfect job for me right now. Get paid to backpack and help others learn how to protect and enjoy the AT? Yes, please. It's seasonal, so temporary, and the pay is only $9 per hour, but it's enough to make ends meet for right now.

I taught elementary school for 11 years, and though I miss the kids and probably won't make nearly as much doing anything else, I felt too much despair on early morning commutes into work for too many years to do that again unless I absolutely have to. Plan C, I suppose.

In my current state of joblessness during the holiday season, I've had ample time to meet my goal of applying for at least one position per day. Sadly my dream job of owning a business and the risk of losing everything I have worked for cancel each other out. In some ways, I face fears. In others, I run from them. Just call me "Forrest".
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

I'm thinking a ridge runner might be a perfect job for me right now. Get paid to backpack and help others learn how to protect and enjoy the AT? Yes, please. It's seasonal, so temporary, and the pay is only $9 per hour, but it's enough to make ends meet for right now.

I taught elementary school for 11 years, and though I miss the kids and probably won't make nearly as much doing anything else, I felt too much despair on early morning commutes into work for too many years to do that again unless I absolutely have to. Plan C, I suppose.

In my current state of joblessness during the holiday season, I've had ample time to meet my goal of applying for at least one position per day. Sadly my dream job of owning a business and the risk of losing everything I have worked for cancel each other out. In some ways, I face fears. In others, I run from them. Just call me "Forrest".
      The ridge runner job sounds cool.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • twistwrist wrote:

I'm thinking a ridge runner might be a perfect job for me right now. Get paid to backpack and help others learn how to protect and enjoy the AT? Yes, please. It's seasonal, so temporary, and the pay is only $9 per hour, but it's enough to make ends meet for right now.

outdoors.org/about/employment/
    • twistwrist wrote:

ha! In almost everything life throws at me, I agree with you A.T.Lt. But this? With no business training and my life savings riding on it? Just can't do it.
      The beer and wine bar is somewhat foolproof. The brewery is risky. Maybe think about opening a beer and wine bar with room to expand with a very small-scale microbrewery.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • robert irvine (restaurant impossible) and john taffer (bar rescue) are always shaking their heads at people who open up a restaurant or a bar who have no experience in the industry becasue it is something they "always wanted to do". makes good television, though. :)
      2,000 miler
    • twistwrist wrote:

Want something "different" ?
      I found the following at coolworks.com
      Opportunity for those passionate about dogs
      Chena Hot Springs Resort - located 56 Scenic miles east of Fairbanks, surrounded by magnificent wilderness.

Posted: Jan 01, 2016
      Year-Round Entry Level - Dog Musher/Handler
      Chena Hot Springs Kennel is looking for hard working, self motivated people who have a passion for dogs. Chena Kennel has 75 Alaskan huskies that need to be fed, watered, and cleaned up after daily.
      [IMG:http://www.coolworks.com/system/cw4_uploads/chena-hot-springs-resort/pictures/4638/content_chena-employment_image.jpg]
      During winter months we offer 18-35 dog sled tours per day. In the summer we offer our guests dog cart rides. Our rides are 1 1/2 miles long. We also offer a daily 45 minute kennel tour year round.
      Must be physically fit and able to lift at least 65 lbs
      Must be able to speak in front off large groups
      We provide free single occupancy housing and great food.
      Any of the activities we offer our guests employees are encouraged to do for free.
      Job starts soon! (Feb 01, 2016)
      Wages/Pay: $9.75 / hour + tips
    • max.patch wrote:

robert irvine (restaurant impossible) and john taffer (bar rescue) are always shaking their heads at people who open up a restaurant or a bar who have no experience in the industry becasue it is something they "always wanted to do". makes good television, though. :)
      Twisty comes across as intelligent. If you can figure out how to sell a beer at 4x your cost then your in business. As long as you don't agree to pay rent that is unreasonable for your location and revenue you will make it. Most of these people that are on the show have egos that get in the way of logic.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123