Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Best Job on Earth?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

How about a job at an outfitter type place and then maybe you could do some guided trips too.
      Just after I got out of prison I went to work for a sporting goods store. I was the backpacking guy. I worked there a year and it cost me about $4000.
      You mean prison work?
      Possumble
      I worked 29 years with the Michigan Department of Corrections. The last 9 as a sergeant. I took 6 months off then went to the sporting goods store. Then I worked Army base security for a year. Then I hired on with the local county sheriffs office been there the last five plus years. I'm a retirement failure.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

How about a job at an outfitter type place and then maybe you could do some guided trips too.
      Just after I got out of prison I went to work for a sporting goods store. I was the backpacking guy. I worked there a year and it cost me about $4000.
      You mean prison work?
      Possumble
      I worked 29 years with the Michigan Department of Corrections. The last 9 as a sergeant. I took 6 months off then went to the sporting goods store. Then I worked Army base security for a year. Then I hired on with the local county sheriffs office been there the last five plus years. I'm a retirement failure.
      Ever think about trying a thru hike of the AT? If you make it to ME great. If not when it ends, cherish the memories and just go back and get another job (you appear to be very capable of that). Could be a Win-Win proposition for you.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

You mean prison work?
      Possumble
      Ever think about trying a thru hike of the AT? If you make it to ME great. If not when it ends, cherish the memories and just go back and get another job (you appear to be very capable of that). Could be a Win-Win proposition for you.
      I've hiked 4 weeks a couple times. I get too homesick. can't stay away that long. The good thing with my present job is, I can tell them I want a month off and I can get it. I work for great people who care about me.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • Forestry Major turned nuclear engineer here that took off surveying and never looked back. That oughta tell ya all you need to know.....the best job in the world is a very personal thing, not an across the board "this is it" solution. Hell, I'm currently in the middle of the Arkansas Sea duck hunting and, although we're dealing with major flooding, it's awesome, but I wouldn't want to do it as a job.

Doing what you love as a job is like taking the carrot off the stick and string and carrying it around in your hand; eventually you're gonna go to take a bite and it's gonna be all gone.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • After submitting my resume, cover letter, and application last night for a GA ridgerunner position this season, I woke up to an email and phone call from the ATC to set up an interview! :D The interview is at 10:30 tomorrow.
      Can you guys fire some questions about me that you think may be asked in such an interview? I want this gig.

conservationjobboard.com/job-l…east-georgia/145193752350
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • try to contact lauralee bliss (blissful) on facebook. she was on a couple hours ago so ya might get lucky. she is a member here, 2 time i think thruhiker, and works as a ridgerunner for the patc. if you type blissful in the facebook search box she'll come up.

good luck!
      2,000 miler
    • twistwrist wrote:

After submitting my resume, cover letter, and application last night for a GA ridgerunner position this season, I woke up to an email and phone call from the ATC to set up an interview! :D The interview is at 10:30 tomorrow.
      Can you guys fire some questions about me that you think may be asked in such an interview? I want this gig.

Good luck! That sounds awesome and you will be perfect. Let us know how it goes.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • odd man out wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I don't think rich people should be allowed to call themselves philanthropists unless the amount they give away affects their own lifestyle. Anything less and it's just tax evasion.
      oh crap. I guess I wouldn't qualify as a philanthropist since I would stay in hotels instead of hostels on a LASH if I had 100 million $ in the bank.
      I really don't believe mega bucks would change my life style...

twistwrist wrote:

I'm thinking a ridge runner might be a perfect job for me right now. Get paid to backpack and help others learn how to protect and enjoy the AT? Yes, please. It's seasonal, so temporary, and the pay is only $9 per hour, but it's enough to make ends meet for right now.

I taught elementary school for 11 years, and though I miss the kids and probably won't make nearly as much doing anything else, I felt too much despair on early morning commutes into work for too many years to do that again unless I absolutely have to. Plan C, I suppose.

In my current state of joblessness during the holiday season, I've had ample time to meet my goal of applying for at least one position per day. Sadly my dream job of owning a business and the risk of losing everything I have worked for cancel each other out. In some ways, I face fears. In others, I run from them. Just call me "Forrest".
      Curious....why the despair on the way to work...did you hate the job?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • twistwrist wrote:

After submitting my resume, cover letter, and application last night for a GA ridgerunner position this season, I woke up to an email and phone call from the ATC to set up an interview! :D The interview is at 10:30 tomorrow.

First question asked....why do you want this job.
      Second....why are you qualified.

You're a shoe in for the job, if you get it I'll come be the first jackass you have to scold.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Best wishes.
      Tell them you have international endorsement.
      Australia_Map
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I don't think rich people should be allowed to call themselves philanthropists unless the amount they give away affects their own lifestyle. Anything less and it's just tax evasion.
      oh crap. I guess I wouldn't qualify as a philanthropist since I would stay in hotels instead of hostels on a LASH if I had 100 million $ in the bank.
      it's up to $700 million today. When it gets that high I buy one ticket. If I win, my life style wont change much, but i wont I fly economy.
    • max.patch wrote:

try to contact lauralee bliss (blissful) on facebook. she was on a couple hours ago so ya might get lucky. she is a member here, 2 time i think thruhiker, and works as a ridgerunner for the patc. if you type blissful in the facebook search box she'll come up.

good luck!
      Thanks a bunch, I found her! I've been chatting with my friend Moxie as well who's a ridgerunner in the 100 mile wilderness.

Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Curious....why the despair on the way to work...did you hate the job?
      It got to that point, yeah. The first 5-6 years of my career, though still a hard job which caused occasional tears, was rewarding enough to overlook the long, uncompensated hours, the extra duties and committees, and the tough tasks involved in managing a classroom full of varying little personalities and often their parents. The last few years, with the introduction of the Common Core curriculum, the changing teacher evaluation methods, more rigorous tests and more pressure for all kids to raise to the ever heightening bar, the demands that are unsupported and make no sense, and the frustration I feel from kids being pushed TOO hard to meet ridiculously rigorous standards took the rewarding parts of the job away. Education is a mess, and I felt too burned out to keep at it. The last thing education needs is more burned out teachers.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

You hit that nail right on its head.

The teachers at my old school who "hate their kids" and make fun of them constantly are the ones sticking around. Glad I don't have kids. If I did, they would not be in a public school.
      There is a difference between a collecting a paycheck and a career.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Hey y'all. I nailed it! The interview went smoothly, and I'm pretty darn sure I've just landed a job! :D Apparently the ATC is preparing for a huge season and stocking 5 positions in the 75 miles of GA trail. Four are caretaker positions at Amicalola Lodge, Springer Mt. Shelter, Hawk Mt. Shelter, and Gooch Gap Shelter. The 5th is a ridgerunner north of Neels Gap.
      I'd really prefer the ridgerunner position, but I have a feeling I'll be offered one of the caretaker spots. Whatever, I'm going to get paid to live on the AT, educate hikers about LNT, pick up trash, etc. How fun to get paid to talk to hikers just starting out! :D

• Not gonna make me rich in paper, but rich in experiences, ATlt. :) Anywhere from $9 to $13 per hour. Not sure where GA falls into that range. it's 40 hours per week for 15 weeks, then I'll either ridgerun somewhere up north or work at White Mountains Lodge and Hostel if Guardian, the manager there, and I are still dating.

• Maybe between the 2 Georgians on here who's screen names start with a T and one of which might be having some sweet trail hookups they can organize a south of the MasonDixson line cafe group hike? No?? Some of us Yanks might want to take a road trip ya know
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

Maybe between the 2 Georgians on here who's screen names start with a T and one of which might be having some sweet trail hookups they can organize a south of the MasonDixson line cafe group hike? No?? Some of us Yanks might want to take a road trip ya know
      I'm game. Maybe the Lakeshore trail in the Smokies. It's a great hike and didn't have any killer hills.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • twistwrist wrote:

Hey y'all. I nailed it! The interview went smoothly, and I'm pretty darn sure I've just landed a job! :D Apparently the ATC is preparing for a huge season and stocking 5 positions in the 75 miles of GA trail. Four are caretaker positions at Amicalola Lodge, Springer Mt. Shelter, Hawk Mt. Shelter, and Gooch Gap Shelter. The 5th is a ridgerunner north of Neels Gap.
      I'd really prefer the ridgerunner position, but I have a feeling I'll be offered one of the caretaker spots. Whatever, I'm going to get paid to live on the AT, educate hikers about LNT, pick up trash, etc. How fun to get paid to talk to hikers just starting out! :D
      I hope the actual experience lives up to the anticipation!
    • Rasty wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Maybe between the 2 Georgians on here who's screen names start with a T and one of which might be having some sweet trail hookups they can organize a south of the MasonDixson line cafe group hike? No?? Some of us Yanks might want to take a road trip ya know
      I'm game. Maybe the Lakeshore trail in the Smokies. It's a great hike and didn't have any killer hills.
      It wouldn't take much to talk me into a road trip.
      It'd all depend on the timing and what else is going on in life at the time.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Hey y'all. I nailed it! The interview went smoothly, and I'm pretty darn sure I've just landed a job! :D Apparently the ATC is preparing for a huge season and stocking 5 positions in the 75 miles of GA trail. Four are caretaker positions at Amicalola Lodge, Springer Mt. Shelter, Hawk Mt. Shelter, and Gooch Gap Shelter. The 5th is a ridgerunner north of Neels Gap.
      I really hope you get the job. I won't worry about my daughter if you're close by.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

I really hope you get the job. I won't worry about my daughter if you're close by.
      :) I'll help her anyway I can.

TrafficJam wrote:

Talk about dream jobs, I was just offered a job in a yarn shop.
      Sweet! That would be fun!

• odd man out wrote:

Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

it's up to $700 million today. When it gets that high I buy one ticket. If I win, my life style wont change much, but i wont I fly economy.
      no winner in last night's drawing. So I will now have to wait until Wednesday to start my new career with over a billion dollars.
    • odd man out wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

no winner in last night's drawing. So I will now have to wait until Wednesday to start my new career with over a billion dollars.
      unbelievable. on the way home from 9 hrs of working on sorting stuff, bagging stuff, hauling stuff out of Mom's house, I thought I hear the radio say that all of the possible combinations had been sold. I stopped at the party store and he told me that I was too late, that ticket sales for last night ended at 9:40 and it was about 10:15. I thought sales went until 10:30 or 10:40. So he tried to sell a ticket for Wednesday to me. I said no. Guess I will be back in to buy that ticket.
    • Made it home! Had a blast, killed a lot of ducks, almost lost my dog, meet a lot of new folks, made some good friends, all in all I'm sure Arkansas is a better place for me having been there, lol!

I really hope you get what you want, Twisty, the trail will be a better place with you on it!
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.