Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pawling NY winter parking question

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pawling NY winter parking question

Does anyone know for certain if overnight parking is allowed at the N.Y. Rte. 22 trailhead (next to the A.T. train station) in the winter?<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-box-shadow: none !important;">I ask because I know some of the smaller roads in the area have winter parking bans so I'm hoping that the larger road might be a legal option.

(Laz, no need to answer twice, my next option is to figure out the local LEO offive and ask them, I'm just lazy)
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Obviously I don't know but there was a garden center right there that seemed fairly friendly to hikers. Perhaps you could track down their number and give them a call. From memory they had heaps of parking area and car might be safer there.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

yep. it's a shame. And the hotel down the street didn't want us until we told him we were over 50 because a group of young entitled idiots had just trashed his hotel.
      Where was the hotel in Pawling? I could not find one (at least from my smart phone). I had to chase down an old college friend I only seen once in the last 30 years to let me stay with him in Danbury, CT.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • CoachLou wrote:

Jack, the garden center got fed up with hiker trash trashing the place and they stopped allowing camping on their property.
      wow, it never ends. and the owner of the garden center is a hiker and was considered to be very hiker friendly. their website still has the following statement:

Native Landscapes is honored to be on the trail and we’re hiker friendly – always happy to welcome hikers to our camping space and our designated clean-water fill-up.
      2,000 miler
    • Drybones wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice to lay hands on those asses that ruin it for the rest of us and beat the schit out of them? That's the only way the entitled will learn there's other folks on this planet too.
      At the very least I wish the responsible hikers would "out" the ones that are crapping up the place.

Supposedly service providers are talking to eachother and sharing information about who's causing trouble. Rumor had it that the identity of people who break the law or trash places early on is being shared and they are increasingly finding themselves turned away at hostels up and down the trail
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • When I was there this summer it was after 5pm, so I took a shower outside. A train actually went by during my shower. Oh well I just turned and faced the wall. Was still happy to be getting a shower even if the water was cold.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

yep. it's a shame. And the hotel down the street didn't want us until we told him we were over 50 because a group of young entitled idiots had just trashed his hotel.
      Where was the hotel in Pawling? I could not find one (at least from my smart phone). I had to chase down an old college friend I only seen once in the last 30 years to let me stay with him in Danbury, CT.
      the hotel would be about 4 miles trail west from the nature center. it is In awols guide. I forget the name and too lazy tonight to dig out my guide.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Let me respond to the original question.
      While I don't know if parking is legal at the Rt.22 trailhead in New York, I did park there overnight this past winter (early in 2017) with no problems. I parked in the large pull out on the east side of the road, across from the garden center, and we weren't the only car to overnight there at that time.