Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Packs and Pack Weight

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Packs and Pack Weight

My daughter is hiking the AT this summer and wants to use the ULA OHM 2.0 that I gave her.

It seems the average, pack weight for AT hikers is around 35 lbs. so that pack won't work...the max load is 30 lbs. and even that is too much.

If she is resupplying every 3 days, why does she need to carry 35 lbs of stuff? Why can't she carry the same weight as she would for a 3 day hike?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I wouldn't necessarily say the Ohm won't do it. It is on the small side and therefore limits some impulse bulky town resupplies (e.g. a sixpack or a watermelon, don't laugh it happens).
      But it really is a fact that you should get the gear first and the pack last.
      The Ohm will do for now for shakedown hikes and gear testing/selection stuff.
      A lot depends in my opinion on how big your daughter is. Shorter, skinnier people can get by with smaller bags and tents. You need to determine how big a bag you need based on what you're carrying.
      If she likes the Ohm then the natural progression is the Circuit or Catalyst. I have both and don't think they are all that different in capacity but if a hike in the west is in her future the Catalyst apparently takes a bear canister sideways. Otherwise I recommend the Circuit.
      If the sweaty back of the ULA packs is an issue the Osprey Aura is a better ventilated option for only a small weight penalty.
      Lots of other packs out there but they are amongst the most common for good reason.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily say the Ohm won't do it. It is on the small side and therefore limits some impulse bulky town resupplies (e.g. a sixpack or a watermelon, don't laugh it happens).

You need to determine how big a bag you need based on what you're carrying.
      This is what puzzles me. We have the gear, (except a tent because she ain't getting mine) and we know what that gear weighs for a 3 day hike.

Do we look at this as a series of 3-day hikes and pack accordingly or is there extra stuff she'll need for a longer hike that will require a different pack?
    • how long of a hike is she taking? As long as she has the shelter, stove, sleep system, first aid, rain gear, base layer etc the AT is just a series of 3 to 5 day hikes. All I do is take enough food to get me to the next easy place to get food and have a general goal each day for a stopping point. After about 2 weeks you get the hang of it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • LIhikers wrote:

If she's doing a thru or even a l.a.s.h. she'll need a few more things
      One example might be a nail clipper. Not needed on a 3 day outing, but for weeks and months it's a necessity.
      That's what comes to mind, but there's more I'm sure.
      Not a thru hike for sure but it could be one week, it could be two months. She's starting at Springer mid May.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

how long of a hike is she taking? As long as she has the shelter, stove, sleep system, first aid, rain gear, base layer etc the AT is just a series of 3 to 5 day hikes. All I do is take enough food to get me to the next easy place to get food and have a general goal each day for a stopping point. After about 2 weeks you get the hang of it.
      This was my thinking. So, get the gear together, find a tent, and try it out like Oz said. Leave some room for a few extras...silly girl insists on taking her travel hoop. :rolleyes:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily say the Ohm won't do it. It is on the small side and therefore limits some impulse bulky town resupplies (e.g. a sixpack or a watermelon, don't laugh it happens).

You need to determine how big a bag you need based on what you're carrying.
      This is what puzzles me. We have the gear, (except a tent because she ain't getting mine) and we know what that gear weighs for a 3 day hike.
      Do we look at this as a series of 3-day hikes and pack accordingly?
      In my view EGGSACTLY!!
      Yes there are a few things that may get thrown in, you're more likely to carry extra batteries and a charger for example, but the biggest difference is that you get smellier. Another example is you will sometimes carry a nearly empty fuel canister and it's replacement although a good budget means you leave the near empty in a hiker box or shelter. ACCESS TO SUFFICIENT FUNDS WILL OVERCOME NEARLY ALL OBSTACLES. If she has insufficient money to thruhike then don't try. It is sad to see people struggling to keep on the trail when they should go home and earn the money to do it properly the next year.
      The most important addition is somewhere to send/receive gear from and that's where home is a big help. It's harder as a foreigner but someone who can help with swapping in and out winter gear etc is a hugely useful thing.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • My student Koltrain to Maine used a ULA Ohm 2.0 on his 100 Day Thru Hike. But of course he was averaging over 20 miles a day, so resupplying every 3-5 days was not an issue.

Personally been using a Catalyst the past few years, but have a Circuit under the tree.

While I agree you should buy the gear before the pack, having a smaller pack can inspire more weight/size reductions.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • A bigger pack tends to encourage more gear but having more space than gear can be very good for quick packing and unpacking etc. I like having extra space so that I can shove stuff in in a hurry without having to fully compress etc. Also it can be surprising how often you will want to carry something "extra". If you have no discipline about what you pack you should perhaps go for the tighter fit to force you to be more thoughtful.

Edit. e.g. IM and I carried quite a bit of fireworks for a while.
      ;)
    • I also have my Circuit that she can use if the OHM doesn't work...plus several others to choose from although they're not ideal. They're bigger and heavier and I consider their purchases to be a mistake. I have a lot of gear. ^^

To clarify. She's not thru hiking. She's a college student who wants to hike during summer vacation. She's just going for a walk until she's done or until school starts. She's starting at Springer and hiking towards home so I'll be close.

She has hiked and backpacked with me so knows how to pack and use the gear but doesn't know about maps and navigating.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

My daughter is hiking the AT this summer and wants to use the ULA OHM 2.0 that I gave her.

It seems the average, pack weight for AT hikers is around 35 lbs. so that pack won't work...the max load is 30 lbs. and even that is too much.

If she is resupplying every 3 days, why does she need to carry 35 lbs of stuff? Why can't she carry the same weight as she would for a 3 day hike?
      Ummm...the AVERAGE hiker also drops out.

Encourage her to be better than average.
    • I have been doing 300 plus continuous miles each summer since 2011 and my pack has never weighed more than 30 lbs. If it did I would not be able to walk! Last year I got it down to a max of 24 with the bearcan and I do have extra underwear and socks. Starting south in May should make it easy, get a scale and pick out the lightest stuff that will do the job. Lots of people here to help!
    • I don't fuss about weight. It is what it is. If the pack is too heavy I eat more that day. I weighed my pack about 4 times on the AT. With food and water ready to go every time. It ranged between 28 and 34. I was heavier a few times I am sure. Never felt that my pack was too heavy.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

whats a travel hoop?
      A collapsible hula hoop. She fire hoops. And I'm going to get in trouble for thread drift!
      this pic is for TJ.

this is jane owl at mountain crossings. part of a group of 9 hikers who are all musicians, singers, dancers, and hoopsters. called the "trail circus" by mountain crossings, but i don't know if that is their "official" name.

edit to add: i added this to the "hikers we are following in 2016" thread as it made more sense to be there than here.

[IMG:https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/v/t1.0-9/12376673_1137584036276179_930519967023272408_n.jpg?oh=0e9cc71811538462fc322f049624fbe2&oe=5790BCF4]
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

whats a travel hoop?
      A collapsible hula hoop. She fire hoops. And I'm going to get in trouble for thread drift!
      this pic is for TJ.
      this is jane owl at mountain crossings. part of a group of 9 hikers who are all musicians, singers, dancers, and hoopsters. called the "trail circus" by mountain crossings, but i don't know if that is their "official" name.

[IMG:https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/v/t1.0-9/12376673_1137584036276179_930519967023272408_n.jpg?oh=0e9cc71811538462fc322f049624fbe2&oe=5790BCF4]
      I like those shorts...but she better watch out for the fashion police.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

whats a travel hoop?
      this pic is for TJ.

Awesome, I'm sending her that picture! She put hers in the space between her neck and the back of her pack which made the hoop hit her butt when she walked.