Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Getting from Amicalola Park parking lot to Springer

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Getting from Amicalola Park parking lot to Springer

I was looking over the Google maps on my tablet for this area. It clearly shows the approach trail, it goes up by the falls, then, nothing.

I zoomed out, and found it again. But there doesn't appear to be a walking path between... not sure of the scale, probably a half mile between, but it could be more or less.

The NatGeo maps I ordered don't show that gap.

Is the connection obvious on the ground ? Or is the path down a dirt road ? etc ?

Thanks !
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • 8.8 mile blue blaze trail from the visitor center to springer mountain. can't miss it.

if someone is dropping you off it would be nice of them to wait for you at the top of the falls with your pack. that first mile beside the falls -- with the 650 steps -- is difficult even with a light day pack.

there is a shelter behind the visitor center for AT hikers. the lodge, depending on the date, can be a great value (with a groupon) or outrageously expensive.

there is also a parking lot 1 mile N of springer which requires a 6.5 mile trip on a good forest service road. many hikers leave their packs in their car for the roundtrip hike to/from springer.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• Yup, I saw on the map, and the guidebook, about the Forest Service road just south of Springer. My relatives have a 4-wheel drive vehicle, and know how to use it. So I have been thinking of skipping the approach trail.

Of course, wearing a pack up the approach trail, and having them meet me at the secong parking lot you mention, would be a good shakedown of gear and boots.

Have to get my stamina up, definately.
      --
    • Another idea would be to start at the visitor center and spend the first night at the Len Foote Hike Inn. The Inn is a lodge that is about five miles up the approach trail and is only accessible by foot. They feed you dinner and breakfast and will pack a lunch for you too. I've stayed there several times and loved it. Each time. Reservations are not necessary but recommended. Look them up on Google. It's a neat place.
      As for the forest service road. A 4wd is not necessary unless the weather conditions are very poor ( snow or ice ). I've saw a guy drive up there in a very nice Porsch before.
      RIAP
    • max.patch wrote:

you do not want to take the forest service road that intersects the approach trail a couple miles S of springer.

you want to take FS42 which intersects the AT 1 mile N of springer.

trust me on this. :)

I knew there was one road that you couldn't read the trail from, and another you could. I thoguht the one reference I found mentioned take the one south.

Thanks !
      --
    • Trebor wrote:

Another idea would be to start at the visitor center and spend the first night at the Len Foote Hike Inn. The Inn is a lodge that is about five miles up the approach trail and is only accessible by foot. They feed you dinner and breakfast and will pack a lunch for you too. I've stayed there several times and loved it. Each time. Reservations are not necessary but recommended. Look them up on Google. It's a neat place.
      As for the forest service road. A 4wd is not necessary unless the weather conditions are very poor ( snow or ice ). I've saw a guy drive up there in a very nice Porsch before.
      What do they charge for a room ? I had read it was expensive, don't know where I put the gudebook for now. More than about $25-40 per night would be too much for me.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Another idea would be to start at the visitor center and spend the first night at the Len Foote Hike Inn. The Inn is a lodge that is about five miles up the approach trail and is only accessible by foot. They feed you dinner and breakfast and will pack a lunch for you too. I've stayed there several times and loved it. Each time. Reservations are not necessary but recommended. Look them up on Google. It's a neat place.
      What do they charge for a room ? I had read it was expensive, don't know where I put the gudebook for now. More than about $25-40 per night would be too much for me.
      right now $117 a nite plus the rip off "resort tax" which brings it to $140. they (should) have a groupon sometime in early 2016 which will cut the price in half for a while. it is nice, though. i plan on returning for a nite when the groupon appears.

right now the lodge has a groupon that is good thru feb. rooms as low as $54 (depends on day); probably $70 after taxes. includes $15 voucher for food, which basically covers breakfast and tip for one. i've seen rates in the $250 range.

or sleep in the shelter or in your car for the $5 parking fee. :)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• I was disappointed initially that circumstances caused me to miss the approach trail. After a few days I was relieved. It was clear from the other hikers that anyone not already trailfit were knocked about by it and were in a worse way than those who skipped it. If the physical challenge of the AT is a concern, skipping the approach trail is a good idea. It allows an easier breaking in to trail life.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Yup, I saw on the map, and the guidebook, about the Forest Service road just south of Springer. My relatives have a 4-wheel drive vehicle, and know how to use it. So I have been thinking of skipping the approach trail.

Of course, wearing a pack up the approach trail, and having them meet me at the secong parking lot you mention, would be a good shakedown of gear and boots.

Have to get my stamina up, definately.
      My old ass Accord has made it multiple times. The parking lot 1 mile north of springer is where I'd suggest starting unless you want to do the approach trail. If so, start at the Amicalola lodge. Parking is right there. I did the approach trail in 3 hours back in April before I started my thru. Yes, it's up, you're climbing a mountain...but I didn't find it particularly difficult.

max.patch wrote:

you do not want to take the forest service road that intersects the approach trail a couple miles S of springer.

yes. Still long and seems to take forever, but it's a fairy easy road...bumpy in spots, so if you want to keep your wheels aligned correctly, take it slow and work around the holes. ;)
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Hiker Hostel at Dahlonega offered a good rate for a nice hostel and includes shuttle to either the foot of the approach or the car park 1 mile north of Springer. If leaving in spring you will need to book early as they fill.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Am I the only person that actually enjoyed the approach trail?
      Many I saw did. My caution is for those not already reasonably trail fit.
      Many of those had blisters, sores and pain in excess of the similarly fit who skipped it. I get the impression JimBlue is by his own admission taking on a task that will test him physically. For that reason I recommend an easy break in to the trail and skipping the approach is a good idea for that reason.
      When you get to Katahdin you don't care whether you did the approach. Trust me.
    • i think if SOBOs can manage to hike up katahdin -- and back -- on day 1 then NOBOs should be able to handle our little ole approach trail. :)

i think the start of the AT should be moved to AFSP for a variety of reasons. most importantly, amicalola falls is the biggest waterfall east of the mississippi in the united states. the approach trail goes right next to it. its stupid not to incorporate the falls as part of the AT.

if the ATC is really serious about hiker congestion and hiker behavior then starting at AFSP can help with both these problems.

the first mile of the approach is difficult. after that its pretty much what you get in georgia after the first day.
      '
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i think if SOBOs can manage to hike up katahdin -- and back -- on day 1 then NOBOs should be able to handle our little ole approach trail. :)

i think the start of the AT should be moved to AFSP for a variety of reasons. most importantly, amicalola falls is the biggest waterfall east of the mississippi in the united states. the approach trail goes right next to it. its stupid not to incorporate the falls as part of the AT.

if the ATC is really serious about hiker congestion and hiker behavior then starting at AFSP can help with both these problems.

the first mile of the approach is difficult. after that its pretty much what you get in georgia after the first day.
      '
      Two awesome points made there to argue for the approach trail becoming white blazed. Abso-fuggin-lutely agree.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • JimBlue wrote:

That is something I haven't understood, why is the approach trail not part of the AT ?
      it used to be.

the trail used to start at mt. oglethorpe which is about 20 miles S of springer. in 1958, primarily becasue of smelly chicken farms which sprung up, the start of the trail was moved to springer mountain. the trail from oglethorpe to amicalola fall no longer exists, while the trail from amicalola falls to springer was blue blazed and called the approach trail.

the atc wants the trail termini to be on mountain tops which is why the trail did not start at amicalola even though the old AT used that trail.

if you look at a map of amicalola falls state park you will see the east ridge trail. this used to be the original AT and then the original approach trail. a new trail was created 7-8 years ago which goes right next to the waterfall. this new trail became the first mile of the approach trail when it was completed.

the last time i was at the park i parked at the lodge and then hiked down the old approach trail and returned via the new approach trail. the next day, picking up where i left off, hiked N on the approach toward springer.
      2,000 miler
    • Okay.

I think putting it back near the chicken farms will reduce the number of people. We have nearby cattle ranches and the spread chicken manure twice a year.

First time I smelled that, after i went indoors and could breathe again, I asked 'what is that awful smell !!'.

But I could learn to tolerate it so I could get up the trail.
      --
    • Astro wrote:

Hey Wonder Stovie great to see you back here at the Cafe. We missed you.
      I missed you all too, but I was too lazy to cyber-hike. The library (with Internet access) is only a mile from where I am staying, but if I stuff my laptop in my pack, I have less room for laundry and groceries. The last time I went to town, I came back with what felt like 50 or 60 pounds of laundry and canned goods.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Astro wrote:

Hey Wonder Stovie great to see you back here at the Cafe. We missed you.
      I missed you all too, but I was too lazy to cyber-hike. The library (with Internet access) is only a mile from where I am staying, but if I stuff my laptop in my pack, I have less room for laundry and groceries. The last time I went to town, I came back with what felt like 50 or 60 pounds of laundry and canned goods.
      Yep, glad to hear from you.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Howdy !

Not exactly looking for an easy way, but one that I sort of know what to expect visually.

I don't require a vista, just changes. I have one of the early astronomy books for constellation identification. And a planar wheel that is light enough to take along, for constellations I'll see as I go along... of course, I might be too tired to look at stars.

But I have thought of taking a light weight tree identification book.
      --
    • TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Is it ok to park there for 5-7 days? Am I correct that the BMT and AT are the same trail at that point?
      i'd leave my car car for a week with no worries. having said that, imo amicalola is the safest trailhead in georgia to park. i've never heard of any vandalism at the park. springer is rare, but not 0%.

the parking lot is 1 mile N of springer. if you leave the parking lot and hike S you will reach springer and the start of the AT and the BMT. the BMT splits off in 1/4 mile.

if you leave the parking lot and hike N you are on the AT only. the BMT intersects the AT in 1/4 mile.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Is it ok to park there for 5-7 days? Am I correct that the BMT and AT are the same trail at that point?
      i'd leave my car car for a week with no worries. having said that, imo amicalola is the safest trailhead in georgia to park. i've never heard of any vandalism at the park. springer is rare, but not 0%.
      the parking lot is 1 mile N of springer. if you leave the parking lot and hike S you will reach springer and the start of the AT and the BMT. the BMT splits off in 1/4 mile.

if you leave the parking lot and hike N you are on the AT only. the BMT intersects the AT in 1/4 mile.
      I will be hiking sobo towards the car.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i'd leave my car car for a week with no worries. having said that, imo amicalola is the safest trailhead in georgia to park. i've never heard of any vandalism at the park. springer is rare, but not 0%.the parking lot is 1 mile N of springer. if you leave the parking lot and hike S you will reach springer and the start of the AT and the BMT. the BMT splits off in 1/4 mile.

then you have a couple options depending on time and what you want to accomplish.

hiking S on the BMT when you intersect the AT...

1. take the AT S to the parking lot. 1/4 mile, or
      2. continue on the BMT to its terminus at springer, and then take the AT N to the parking lot. that option is just shy of 5 miles.
      (the BMT and the AT intesect a few times, but i'm sure you'll have a map.)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i'd leave my car car for a week with no worries. having said that, imo amicalola is the safest trailhead in georgia to park. i've never heard of any vandalism at the park. springer is rare, but not 0%.the parking lot is 1 mile N of springer. if you leave the parking lot and hike S you will reach springer and the start of the AT and the BMT. the BMT splits off in 1/4 mile.
      then you have a couple options depending on time and what you want to accomplish.
      hiking S on the BMT when you intersect the AT...

2. continue on the BMT to its terminus at springer, and then take the AT N to the parking lot. that option is just shy of 5 miles.
      Both of those options end at the same parking lot?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i'd leave my car car for a week with no worries. having said that, imo amicalola is the safest trailhead in georgia to park. i've never heard of any vandalism at the park. springer is rare, but not 0%.the parking lot is 1 mile N of springer. if you leave the parking lot and hike S you will reach springer and the start of the AT and the BMT. the BMT splits off in 1/4 mile.if you leave the parking lot and hike N you are on the AT only. the BMT intersects the AT in 1/4 mile.
      then you have a couple options depending on time and what you want to accomplish.hiking S on the BMT when you intersect the AT...

Both of those options end at the same parking lot?
      this map should help you visualize it.

the top "balloon" is the intersection of the BMT and AT.

going S on the AT at that point you have a short distance to the parking lot.

continuing S on the BMT (actually looks like E) you can do that (almost) 5 mile loop back to the parking lot.

atlantatrails.com/hiking-trail…in-benton-mackaye-trails/
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

The A.T. parking lot (aka: Big Stamp Gap) is the easiest place. I think you'd be fine parking your car there for several days. The sign there says you can leave it up to two weeks if I remember correctly. It's an easy hike from the BMT/AT intersection down to the parking lot. But if you want a longer hike, Amicalola Lodge would be another option.