Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

To food drop or not to food drop...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• To food drop or not to food drop...

Hey y'all, recently I've been researching food options for my thru-hike in March and was wondering how you guys resupply. And what you guys are eating generally. I've been contemplating food drops but I also heard that it's not a cost affective way to resupply. So anyadvice on diet and how to resupply would be greatly appreciated
    • Not much reason to do food drops on the AT as there are such good resupply options available almost every three to four days. Unless you have specific allergies or dietary needs then buying along the way is probably better. If your not on the AT then mail stupid are generally the best method.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • i did mail drops on my thru but i absolutely would not do so again. not only is it not necessary -- but even after picking up a food box i still had to go to the grocery every time to pick up bread and cheese.

rasty mentioned the only exception -- specific dietary restrictions -- to the above.

having said that i would make one exception to my no mail drop rule and send a box to fontana dam. i would send one there becasue i will be there in 3 weeks which means i can mail it from home before i leave and sometimes resupply there can be iffy. but if i didn't get around to it -- no big deal.
      2,000 miler
    • I recommend not.
      Towns along the way will have some sort of food. Food drops are always too much or too little and people get sick of the same resupply items. Hiker boxes are full of mysterious powders in shrinkwrap.
      I suggest you wing it. But put extra money into your budget.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • max.patch wrote:

i did mail drops on my thru but i absolutely would not do so again. not only is it not necessary -- but even after picking up a food box i still had to go to the grocery every time to pick up bread and cheese.

rasty mentioned the only exception -- specific dietary restrictions -- to the above.

having said that i would make one exception to my no mail drop rule and send a box to fontana dam. i would send one there becasue i will be there in 3 weeks which means i can mail it from home before i leave and sometimes resupply there can be iffy. but if i didn't get around to it -- no big deal.
      I've been to that store about five times at Fontana. It always has enough to get you to Gatlinburg or to Hot Springs.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i did mail drops on my thru but i absolutely would not do so again. not only is it not necessary -- but even after picking up a food box i still had to go to the grocery every time to pick up bread and cheese.

I've been to that store about five times at Fontana. It always has enough to get you to Gatlinburg or to Hot Springs.
      The issue from what I have read it that sometimes the Bubble can wipe things out. So while it usually is OK, based upon timing the shelves can sometimes be a little empty.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

The issue from what I have read it that sometimes the Bubble can wipe things out. So while it usually is OK, based upon timing the shelves can sometimes be a little empty.
      Thirty thru hikers sitting on the front porch and inside the store and the shelves were full. I think they are much better at stocking the shelves. The gas station also has enough stuff to get you to Gatlinburg also.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • While I just do long sections (like 4-7 weeks at a time) instead of thru hiking, I usually do mail drops. I never use post offices (limited hours, especially on weekends). I send mine to hostels or cheap motels I am going to stay at. Those places are usually open 7x24. I also use AWOL's guide to find them and call ahead to make sure they are still open before I send the package. One place I considered using in Pearisburg was actually demolished before I got there.
    • JoshofSparta wrote:

Hey y'all, recently I've been researching food options for my thru-hike in March and was wondering how you guys resupply. And what you guys are eating generally. I've been contemplating food drops but I also heard that it's not a cost affective way to resupply. So anyadvice on diet and how to resupply would be greatly appreciated
      i've done 5 thru-hikes and never did a food drop. much cheaper to buy as you go.
    • I saw several videos on food drops, or who included their food drops in the hiking videos.

One got what they told the relatives to send.

The other group got two big packages, around three times as much as they asked relatives to send from a list, and had to give most of it away. One box was bigger than their largest backpack.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • I guess I have my own sort of special diet. I don't eat ham, cheese, jerky, or most chocolate. And at night when out in the woods I really like my Mountain House. Yeah I know I am apicky eater, but for me it is worth it. And I try to get my favorite MH flavors on sale in bulk.