Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

How yall talk...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:How yall talk...

Yeah, and that's why I think the poll was rigged. Once it zeroes in just a little bit, it asks self fulfilling questions.

I would have loved to have an Italian sanswich!

I did find some of the questions odd: What do you call the strip between the sidewalk and the street? WTF? It has a name?
      First Law of Physics for Backpackers: What goes down must come up.

namtrag wrote:

Yeah, and that's why I think the poll was rigged. Once it zeroes in just a little bit, it asks self fulfilling questions.

I would have loved to have an Italian sanswich!

I did find some of the questions odd: What do you call the strip between the sidewalk and the street? WTF? It has a name?

We call it snow in the winter, mud in the spring, grass in the summer, and leaves in the fall. I answered it has no name.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

I also noticed that many of my answers resulted in an entirely dark blue map. We have service roads here, but we call them feeder roads...it says I was similar to Houston TX, and nowhere else when I answered that one.

Same with a rain shower when the sun is out. I call it a sunshower. It said no one calls it that except in Minnesota vicinity. lol

BirdBrain wrote:

namtrag wrote:

The only reason it knew I was from Norfolk, Va was the drive thru liquor store question...it's a Brew Thru in the Outer Banks but no where else, so that's what I answered.

I did it again and said I had no idea what to call it, and answered everything else honestly, and it pegged me as Yonkers. Honest to God truth.

I think the sandwich question pegged me. They are called Italians up here. The sandwich was invent in Portland by the DiPietro family in 1944 (contrary to the local myth that Amato's invented it). I ate my last one the day they closed. I will never eat another one in my life. There is no sandwich on earth like a Dipietro's Italian.
      http://bangordailynews.com/2013/08/20/news/portland/the-passing-of-an-era-landmark-portland-italian-sandwich-shop-closes-after-69-years/

That's too bad. There's thousands of stories and places like this if not hundreds of thousands that are (were) near and dear to peoples hearts. My friend took me to a place that was his favorite called Pete's Hot Dogs in Newburg, NY. Just a little old rinky dink stand that had some fantastic dogs. He called some time back and informed me it just wasn't the same. Something had changed. I could tell by his voice how it had saddened him. I said well at least you have your memories of how they used to be and you did get to eat them. I'm sure you have as we all do many more memories of favorites that no longer exist for one reason or another. The worst part is if it was due to economical circumstances of their control. Don't know if they had to switch ingredients do to cost or what. Sad indeed.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

namtrag wrote:

Same with a rain shower when the sun is out. I call it a sunshower. It said no one calls it that except in Minnesota vicinity. lol

That's all we've ever called them my whole life in FL. In June it can happen many, many times every day through the month. We also have what we call a rain line. It's the line where the rain stops. Rain and sunny on one side, dry as a bone on the other. You can actually stick your arm in and out of it and not even get your feet wet.

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

namtrag wrote:

The only reason it knew I was from Norfolk, Va was the drive thru liquor store question...it's a Brew Thru in the Outer Banks but no where else, so that's what I answered.

I did it again and said I had no idea what to call it, and answered everything else honestly, and it pegged me as Yonkers. Honest to God truth.

I think the sandwich question pegged me. They are called Italians up here. The sandwich was invent in Portland by the DiPietro family in 1944 (contrary to the local myth that Amato's invented it). I ate my last one the day they closed. I will never eat another one in my life. There is no sandwich on earth like a Dipietro's Italian.
      http://bangordailynews.com/2013/08/20/news/portland/the-passing-of-an-era-landmark-portland-italian-sandwich-shop-closes-after-69-years/

That's too bad. There's thousands of stories and places like this if not hundreds of thousands that are (were) near and dear to peoples hearts. My friend took me to a place that was his favorite called Pete's Hot Dogs in Newburg, NY. Just a little old rinky dink stand that had some fantastic dogs. He called some time back and informed me it just wasn't the same. Something had changed. I could tell by his voice how it had saddened him. I said well at least you have your memories of how they used to be and you did get to eat them. I'm sure you have as we all do many more memories of favorites that no longer exist for one reason or another. The worst part is if it was due to economical circumstances of their control. Don't know if they had to switch ingredients do to cost or what. Sad indeed.

We have been eating these sandwiches for 40+ years. Many shops still make them, but they are not the same. We made one last trip to the store on the day they closed. We drove to the Eastern Promenade and ate our last Italian while looking over East End Beach and the sailboats beyond. We savored every bite. That memory will not be ruined by a cheap knockoff Italian. I can taste it as I type.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

milkman wrote:

namtrag wrote:

That's all we've ever called them my whole life in FL. In June it can happen many, many times every day through the month. We also have what we call a rain line. It's the line where the rain stops. Rain and sunny on one side, dry as a bone on the other. You can actually stick your arm in and out of it and not even get your feet wet.

Rain Line? Wow, closest I can think of to that is a squall line, but that generally is moving.

Perhaps the weirdest question was the one about what you call the night before Halloween. WTF? Halloween is already an Eve, and some people call Halloween Eve something too? I am sure if you knew the answer to that one, it would pin you down pretty easily to a certain location, since it has to be highly localized.

namtrag wrote:

milkman wrote:

namtrag wrote:

Rain Line? Wow, closest I can think of to that is a squall line, but that generally is moving.

Perhaps the weirdest question was the one about what you call the night before Halloween. WTF? Halloween is already an Eve, and some people call Halloween Eve something too? I am sure if you knew the answer to that one, it would pin you down pretty easily to a certain location, since it has to be highly localized.

Oh yeah, that's devil's night. We learned if we were gonna get eggs we had to buy them one carton at a time from different stores outside of at least a week before. Inside of 3 days nobody sold kids eggs.

namtrag wrote:

Certainly agree with you on that. It was the Brew Thru question that really pegged me to Tidewater Virginia, while the use of yall was most like Columbus GA (I have never been to GA but for about 5 hours).
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

namtrag wrote:

I also noticed that many of my answers resulted in an entirely dark blue map. We have service roads here, but we call them feeder roads...it says I was similar to Houston TX, and nowhere else when I answered that one.

The only such roads I could remember were along Virginia Beach Blvd from Military Circle Mall east towards the Ocean Front, and then along Murcery Blvd.

I remember only one "traffic circle" that was on Military Hwy by Met Park. Its gone now
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.

Yeah, Tuck, you got the service roads correct...all of VB Blvd, and Mercury Blvd had them. And we all called them feeder roads. Did you guys?

There were a few traffic circles...the one you referred to was called the Landsdale Traffic Circle, then there was at least one other one I remember, downtown where Tidewater Drive and Brambleton crossed. There may have been another where Tidewater crossed VB Blvd, but I am foggy on that. Again we definitely called them traffic circles in my family. They weren't really roundabouts or rotaries in the traditional sense, because they had stop lights.

I thought a few of the questions were weird. We use garage sale and yard sale interchangeably around here, at least people I know do. But that wasn't a choice.

Tuckahoe wrote:

namtrag wrote:

Certainly agree with you on that. It was the Brew Thru question that really pegged me to Tidewater Virginia, while the use of yall was most like Columbus GA (I have never been to GA but for about 5 hours).

I say you all, but never y'all.