Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Lifestyle/Car Talk :)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Now that it's getting cold I thought I'd post a little poem I've written.

Winter in a VW Bus
      Not a month after Christmas and all cross the land, bus owners are driving with ice scrapers in hand.
      They're scraping without and they're scraping within, to see where they're going and where they've just been.
      With a little warm air that passes for heat, we lose feeling in our fingers, our ears and our feet .
      So we put on our hats, our gloves, and more sox, endure the cold weather in our German icebox.
      Winter is long and it's cold and it's dark, but these buses we drive have a place in our heart
      Without a complaint or hardly a care, we wait for warm weather, summer to bear.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Now that it's getting cold I thought I'd post a little poem I've written.

Winter in a VW Bus
      Not a month after Christmas and all cross the land, bus owners are driving with ice scrapers in hand.
      They're scraping without and they're scraping within, to see where they're going and where they've just been.
      With a little warm air that passes for heat, we lose feeling in our fingers, our ears and our feet .
      So we put on our hats, our gloves, and more sox, endure the cold weather in our German icebox.
      Winter is long and it's cold and it's dark, but these buses we drive have a place in our heart
      Bravo! :thumbup:
    • max.patch wrote:

i have no mechanical aptitude.

i had to replace the power side mirror on my honda. that, according to the research i did, is a $150 part from honda and they charge another $150 to install it. $300 total.

i bought a replacement mirror from amazon for $39 (it looks exactly like oem), watched a 3 minute video on youtube, and installed it myself in 15 minutes. (someone handy coulda done it in 5 minutes) $39 total.
      Mazda place wanted $250 to replace a vacuum hose, I found it on Amazon (I love Amazon) for $47 and installed it in under 5 minutes.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Now that it's getting cold I thought I'd post a little poem I've written.

Winter in a VW Bus
      I love it!
    • max.patch wrote:

i had to replace the power side mirror on my honda. that, according to the research i did, is a $150 part from honda and they charge another $150 to install it. $300 total.

i bought a replacement mirror from amazon for $39 (it looks exactly like oem), watched a 3 minute video on youtube, and installed it myself in 15 minutes. (someone handy coulda done it in 5 minutes) $39 total.

Mazda place wanted $250 to replace a vacuum hose, I found it on Amazon (I love Amazon) for $47 and installed it in under 5 minutes.
    • subaru wanted $45 for the windshield washer hoses and fittings when one of mine broke. I said no way. Went home, studied it for a couple of minutes, cut out the bad hose, re-routed it and hooked it back up with a zip tie. That was like 5 years ago..
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • My son was more mechanically inclines at 5 than I am now...maybe that's why he got to help develop the F-35 and I didn't.

Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I should have mentioned, I ran it a couple of years with duct tape around the vacuum leak before I replaced the hose, already had the duct tape and it took a couple of minutes...don't ask me why I ever replaced the hose for $47.
    • Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

The most memorable and satisfying fixes are those developed under a shade tree.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CT hasn't had state inspection since the 1990's. It makes life easier but some of the junkers driving on our roads are a bit scary.
      We've never had it but police regularly issue defect notices on old bombs (and modified cars). The only way to get them off is with a full inspection that generally will be almost impossible to pass in an old car.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CT hasn't had state inspection since the 1990's. It makes life easier but some of the junkers driving on our roads are a bit scary.
      We've never had it but police regularly issue defect notices on old bombs (and modified cars). The only way to get them off is with a full inspection that generally will be almost impossible to pass in an old car.
      So how do they remedy them then?
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

My car was due for state inspection two and a half months ago. I knew it would not pass, so I got rid of it and have been hiking, biking, and taking trains and buses.
      One thing I was really impressed with when I hiked up north last year was the mass transportation system of the northeast. So much better than around here. The bozos that run the system here need to take a road trip to like Massachusetts or Vermont and take notes.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • When I lived in Germany and Singapore I regularly used public transportation. Only place in the I lived that I used it was in Houston for jury duty and the first few years they opened the new baseball park (it was free).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

So how do they remedy them then?
      You either take the car off the road or you start replacing worn parts. Some cars it's not worth the effort or money.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I just put the rear gate 'Cord' they call it. 100,000 m ago I changed it, @ 120,000. The first time, I found it when the latch would not lock, then the next morning I had no radio. This time, I had no rear running lights, when I changed the bulbs, I blew a fuse.

The wiring harness that goes to the Rear Lift Gate, goes thru a narrow channel and hole and another channel...............every time you open the gate the harness binds and twists, in THE same place, over and over , for 100,000 miles.

I'm really hoping I have to change it again in a few years! :thumbsup:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by CoachLou ().

• CoachLou wrote:

I just put the rear gate 'Cord' they call it. 100,000 m ago I changed it, @ 120,000. The first time, I found it when the latch would not lock, then the next morning I had no radio. This time, I had no rear running lights, when I changed the bulbs, I blew a fuse.

The wiring harness that goes to the Rear Lift Gate, goes thru a narrow channel and hole and another channel...............every time you open the gate the harness binds and twists, in THE same place, over and over , for 100,000 miles.

Cool stickers, especially the nude beach parking permit. :thumbsup:
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Hey, that vehicle is special to me. Outside of the vehicle that took me to the emergency room and a Jeep Cherokee I hitched a ride in to Palmerton, that is the only vehicle I rode inside for about 7 weeks. :)

It brought me donuts, Gatorade, and Gorilla Tape for my shoes. And then took us to Subway! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • CoachLou wrote:

I just put the rear gate 'Cord' they call it. 100,000 m ago I changed it, @ 120,000. The first time, I found it when the latch would not lock, then the next morning I had no radio. This time, I had no rear running lights, when I changed the bulbs, I blew a fuse.

Lou, sounds like I might need some assistance with that in five or six years. :D
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Astro wrote:

Hey, that vehicle is special to me. Outside of the vehicle that took me to the emergency room and a Jeep Cherokee I hitched a ride in to Palmerton, that is the only vehicle I rode inside for about 7 weeks. :)

It brought me donuts, Gatorade, and Gorilla Tape for my shoes. And then took us to Subway! :thumbup:
      I met it on day 1 in the US at Long Island.
      Car's great. Owner's better.
      :)
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Lou, sounds like I might need some assistance with that in five or six years. :D
      The Forester does not have that problem only the Outback.........05 - 08.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

It's only valid in Cape Cod. 8o
    • CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

It's only valid in Cape Cod. 8o
      So that's why they call it P-town 8o
    • CoachLou wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

The Forester does not have that problem only the Outback.........05 - 08.
      I'm glad to hear that or I'd be waiting for that to go wrong at the worst possible time.
      My Forester went into the shop yesterday for new rear wheel bearings. I think the bill is gonna be bigger than the quote and it's probably foolish to put much more money into an '02 with 352,000+ miles, but I really like that car. The service department is in the back of the building but one of these days I may visit the front where they sell the new cars.
    • Yep, you're right about that.
      My shopping requirements for a car are, at least 4 seats and room for a large dog.
      I've got a new Forester as a loaner car and it would do, but I'd look at the Outback to see if it would work.
      And of course all the other brands have vehicles that would work too.